Vocation to Love. Memorial of Saint Theresa of The Child Jesus, Virgin Comments

The Little Flower of Jesus sacrificed her life for love of souls. She saw the magnitude of her Beloved's love for them. She offered herself for the building up of the Church, the People of God and the Mystical Body of Christ. That is truly a vocation of love, a love which is bound up in the Supreme Love, our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ. The Little Flower's life was one of beauty, joy, and wonder, a life which continues to ... Continue Reading

1. Savino

Am inspired by the love which was the answer found by St Theresah to the question of her place in the Church.
    May God help each person to really find a place in heaven.

2. Diane

To C Cotton. Here is why I think St. Theresa is a Dr. of the church and a great saint. What she did first and at all times was focus on the interior life of the soul, where God dwells. There she loved and adored Him and He turned her to see all others, including herself as the objects of His love. To imitate Him she loved all others. This is not to deny His presence in the Eucharist, she loved and adored Him there.It's to be able to realize that God, Who dwells in us is the same God Who dwells outside us. One and the same. That's to experience total harmony, within and without. God used St. Theresa to show others that they can do the same thing.If you surrender to God everything you do becomes holy because you are in union with Him. Even the daily work you describe. Hope that helps. I'm a devotee of her too because her example and writings have shown that hliness is easier than many think.

3. LJ4789

becoming our best as God's creations and for Gods will, but one can only interpret this when one is free of the self. Gods love and strength often comes through others

4. LJ4789

St. Therese opened minds and (hearts) to becoming our best as God's creations and for God’s will, but one can only interpret this when one is free of the “self”. Being a Catholic, this sentiment is innate to demonstrate in our own lives. God’s love and strength often comes through others - and St. Therese was one of them! She was instrumental is proving that each of us, every one of us is loved and even in the smallest of actions on our part--it is a magnificent act. This is not based upon the magnitude or amount the charitable act is-- but from the pure, loving, non selfish giving of the person who is loving. Everything thing we do-- no matter how small it is, is huge and noted by God and the heavenly family! We are heard, understood and loved. I had hit rock bottom in my life and in a dream She came to me -- just like the statue of her in a favorite old Nogales, Sonora, AZ church - beautiful, radiant and beaming with love and grace and she led me to read her autobiography (Story of a Soul) which anyone in exile in this life, will drink this book in. It is as though she is there with you as you read it, humbled, meek and loving she fully understands our cries and desire to be the best we can in whatever predicament the Lord has chosen for us! We are NEVER alone! She did return to Earth to help and save souls, and I am one of them! Thank you Little Flower of Jesus!! I love you always. God Creates Miracles, He absolutely does!

5. Shilo Stigen

An honest question, C Cotton. I'm not a Therese expert by any stretch, but I'll try anyhow. You sound like you want concrete ACTS that Therese performed, or perhaps difficult CONDITIONS that she suffered for love of Jesus, to flesh-out all the warm fuzzies that Therese gets from by the "Flower-azzi". Here's a couple examples I verified online: A. She wrote to and befriended a seminarian-missionary named Maurice, and her letters helped him to overcome various struggles & choose his vocation to the priesthood (Google "Maurice and Therese,"). B. A "Flower-azzi" friend told me that Therese loved having her picture taken when she was doing the dishes, because she loved doing small humble things for God. C. As far as community goes, she some difficult nuns in the cloister to live with and love, and she took it upon herself to care for a crippled nun. (Google "Therese of Liseux dishes" for a Google book preview that talked a bit about B and C, and Wikipedia has a GREAT pic of her smiling while doing dishes). D. She suffered physically with TB, which eventually was the cause of her death-only 24 years old- and she suffered this alongside a serious temptation against faith ("A Saint's Dark Night" on nytimes.com mentioned her temptation briefly). Hope these examples help, C Cotton, and God bless!

6. Johnny

@ C Cotton, I would recommend one of her books "Story of a soul" written by John Clarke,O.C.D. This will clarify many things you may have.God Bless.

7. vance

This is a great article and uplifting. I bought the Time magazine edition on Mother Teresa to commemorate her hundreth birthdate. I found it fascinating that Mother Teresa chose St. Theresa as her favorite saint. She kept a picture of St. Theresa where she prayed and slept. Now both are in heaven and I pray that they pray for us.

8. Helen Hawkins

C. Cotton,

I understand your question. When I first read her autobiography "Story of a Soul" I really wondered why so many intellectual men and women - especially intellectual men, made such an important study of her.

Her life seemed so simple, so ordinary.

The question really nagged at me because it did not make sense. If her followers had only been parents who wanted a beautiful role model for their daughters, well.. that would have made sense. Her devotees are scholars and theologians. They are not sentimental individuals and they are fascinated by her.

So I kept on reading and re-reading the "Story of a Soul"
    I read the letters between her and the missionary priest Maurice.
    I am looking for other material as well.

And bit by bit, I am beginning to see her contribution to the world. It is hard to explain but her "little way" is one of those obvious truths that is over-looked and totally misunderstood.

I can honestly say that I love her and her struggles. Mother Teresa chose her name after Saint Therese the Little Flower.

9. C Cotton

I'm confused by this article. What was the point? St. Therese obviously loved Jesus very much, but what did she do in her life that set her apart so much? There are many who love Christ and devote themselves daily to prayer, but do not have the luxury of all kinds of "contemplation time" that a young girl, with only herself to care for, would have in a convent. Those without that luxury, such as any mother, must "sacrifice herself" for the Mystical Body of Christ in the form of caring for little children who need noses and hineys wiped, amongst a thousand other services. If that mother has an elderly parent to care for at the same time, increase the "sacrifice". This is something I have never understood about "The Little Flower": What did she actually do in her life that set her apart? This article did very little to explain and I wish someone would actually explain, rather than just state with sentimentality how "devoted" she was and how she "sacrificed her life". Or is it just culturally popular in our Catholic faith to praise St. Therese? Anyone? I would be grateful for an honest, unemotional answer.

10. Mervyn Dias

This article defenitely helped me and strengthen my faith further. God Bless !