Social Justice: Take Back the Term from the Thieves and Build a New Catholic Action Comments

Some have begun to use the phrase "Social Justice" in a disparaging manner. They want to expose the error committed by some who have stolen the term "Social Justice" to hide a "leftist" political agenda. There are others who use it but reject the existence of objective moral truths meant to govern our life together. However, some words and phrases must be rescued when they are stolen. Social Justice is such a ... Continue Reading

1. Sara Palen

the vivid pictures of the gunshot wounds and the stab wounds and the death by overdose and the beatings of women by their boyfriends and the rapes. I have been trying to offer up to Jesus who I pray did not die on the cross in vain for these ones and the attackers as well. I find it difficult to pray for the 15 year old gang bangers from Chicago who want to kill somebody up close and personal to get into a gang, but I do it anyway because he is a person in the image of Christ like the theif on the cross and can still be saved. Is that vivid enough? Will this satisfy the curiousity? I find it sad for all involved. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

2. Sara Palen

It is curious that in places where guns have been banned for some time death is still rampant by criminals with hand guns. Nobody has to tell me of the slaughter taking place daily. I have seen it up close and personal many times. Banning guns may seem like a solution, but what is at the root of this death by handgun?. Of course, knives seem the most popular, but a pipe or even a fist can kill a person. Drugs, anger and hatred seem to be what I see happening. Oh gangs too. It is pretty sad when a teenage wants to be part of a family and joins a gang. The American family has fallen apart.

3. John Grimes

It is curious that every time Americans talk about gun control, those against it draw vivid pictures of one man (or woman) defending his home and family against potential invaders. There is usually not a word about the slaughter taking place daily on America's streets, much of it by way of handguns. I am open to arguments on this issue (I used to have a concealed carry permit myself and I enjoy target shooting), but I would like to see those interested in the 2nd Amendment address the question of the almost unbelievable level of gun violence that is a peculiarly American problem. Canada, our neighbor, has a much lower level of gun violence and of murders, and it also has very strict laws applying to all kinds of firearms.

4. vance

Tony, I reiterate, "NO FOREIGN NATIONAL" has the RIGHT to be in our country. Yes, every human being has the Right to Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness. What would I do if I lived in Marxist Venevuela? I would fight for my country. If the despots have a boot on our necks, I would look to other nations to come in and over throw the despots so we can be FREE. The French came to our help during our American Revolution against England. We are a BANKRUPT nation and cannot afford to take millions of people fleeing from corrupt or despotic governments. Soon, we will experience the promised nightmare of our corrupt and despotic regime in Wash DC. Let the Mexicans change their corrupt government and make their country better. Hugo Chavez was voted in by a crowd of gullible people who stupidily bought the CLASS WARFARE line. The same gullible fools who continue to buy the OLD MARXIST CLASS WARFARE line in this country continue to vote the same Liberal Despots in some fairyland hope that there will be a better result. Thanks to our regime we have a near great depression economy with no end in sight. We have NO WORK and NO MONEY for incoming foreign nationals.

5. techwreck

I too thank Deacon Fournier for addressing an issue that too few of the clergy are willing to discuss.

And I thank Tony for simply stating the bottom line when he says, "My frustration is that too many Catholics (as in most likely all religions) tend to be too far to the left or too far to the right. I would simply like to see more Catholics who are just that: Catholic."

Most would agree that allegiance to God has priority over allegiance to country, but many want to subject Catholic social teaching to specific political philosophies rather than recognizing that our God given talents result in many different approaches to implementing Catholic social teaching. The only "wrong" approaches to Social Justice issues are those that ignore the Seven Principles of Catholic Social Justice. The only "right" approaches to Social Justice issues are those that observe those principles and thus show God's love to all of our brothers and sisters.

6. Sara Palen

the banning of handguns-I wish for the bishops to clarify the position that probably came out of a well-intended committee who may have misapplied first principles of Aquinas. I see nothing in the Catechism or from the Vatican that says all handguns should be banned except for use by police or military. Seems to me this comes from a flawed interpretation of a Supreme Court case which has recently in my opinion been more rightly interpreted and overturned in accordance with natural law- the right of self preservation being the first law in that order. This is more in alligment with the Catechism in its heading of legitimate defense. We should be especially sensitive to this since the English banned Catholics from this right of legitimate defense and in this country some blacks were denied this right post civil war. Is it not social justice to be able to protect my family by use of deadly force if absolutely necessary for the preservation of life? Does this not fit into the concept of subsidiarity? Can a law enforcement officer always and everywhere be there to protect me? Is not my life so precious that I have a duty for the sake of myself and my family to protect it?

Was was wrong for the colonists of the United Stated to demand that the English give them back their guns before the revolutionary war?
    It sure isn't the same thing that Fr. Corapi teaches on legitimate defense. It is not the same thing my priest has told me. He has no problem with me carrying a handgun for self defense. Does that makes him a cafeteria Catholic?

the bishops need to clarify. I don't believe they are all on the same page on this one. I undertand why there are people that see it differently.

and the legitimate love of one's country is perfectly in conformance with subsidiarity as long as it is rightly ordered. Joan of Ark had a great love for her country as well as St Therese of Lesieux. And I am guessing JPII felt a most special connection to his motherland. Did he wrap himself in the flag of his country? perhaps a little, but of course he still had his priorities in order. Fulton Sheen talks of this love of God, love of family, love of community love of country, love of all. Aquinas too speaks of the closer are connections the more responsible we are for them. Isn't this the foundational concept of subsidiarity and solidarity?

7. Tony

Pete, I didn't receive your most recent comment until just now (it wasn't posted until after I had written my above posts). Thank you, I sincerely appreciate your kind words, although I highly doubt I am a better man than you, haha I simply try to follow the teachings of the Church, that's all. I agree, I would prefer the bishops to speak up at times when certain issues such as the ones you mentioned (parental notifications for abortion, etc.) come up. I mean, we all know that they disagree with such things (as is evident by what they teach), but yes there are time when they could actively oppose such issues. Yes, there is certainly a bell curve even among Catholics. My frustration is that too many Catholics (as in most likely all religions) tend to be too far to the left or too far to the right. I would simply like to see more Catholics who are just that: Catholic. Let's hope there's not a bell curve in order to get to Heaven lol. Oh, and in John's defense, I had to read that sentence about 4 or 5 times until I saw the period. I was about to post something similar to what John wrote until I finally re-read the post and saw the period myself. Oh well. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that my vision is 20/400 without glasses (literally). Thanks for the discussion Pete, I sincerely appreciate it. God Bless.

8. Tony

Pete, I forgot to mention in response to your post that yes, I am well-aware that the Church has not historically been constantly opposed to the death penalty. I know that in previous times when society had less able prison systems to contain criminals, the Church accepted the use of the death penalty. I am sorry that my post did not make that clear. I was simply discussing the death penalty in the United States, which is now strongly opposed by the Church. “The death penalty is both cruel and unnecessary. Modern society has the means of protecting itself, without definitively denying criminals the chance to reform.” ~ Pope John Paul II

In addition, you mentioned that "You overreach, as well, on the "call for guns to be outlawed from society." A good bit of what you say the bishops of this country have said on the matter reflects the "liberal" bias that has infiltrated the bureaucracy of the USCCB." Yes, the USCCB is liberal on several issues, but they are not liberal on in a heretical manner. They are following the teachings of the Church, many of which are liberal. Liberal is not a synonym for 'evil.' There is nothing wrong with the word 'liberal.' The concept of mercy and grace are liberal ones. Likewise, nothing is wrong with the term conservative. In any case, the USCCB are the leaders of our Church in the US, obviously under the Pope. We should be following them. They do not go against the teachings of the Vatican in any regard. Rather, they following the teachings of the Vatican. As a side note, the bishops did not call for a total outlaw of guns; simply an outlaw of guns from private citizens. They are very much for guns in the hands of law enforcement. Also, the universal Church has advocated for the promotion of disarmament, including certain Catholic bishops speaking on behalf of the Holy See at UN meetings. A few links: http://www.catholicculture.org/news/features/index.cfm?recnum=45068

and this one: http://www.holyseemission.org/9%20January%202006.html

9. Tony

Vance, I agree that certain illegal immigrants are acting immorally in coming here. Illegal immigrants that come here for self-centered reasons and end up committing crimes obviously are acting immorally. However, I think we may be speaking of different illegals. For instance, there are countless illegal immigrants who come here because they are in need of a safer home and a country that offers opportunities to support their families. Such immigrants come here because they were born into either war-torn countries or countries in safety is not a common concept. I had a friend who lived in Venezuela. She was terrified to go out anywhere by herself. One day, she was driving with her father when suddenly a man came up to their car, shot her father and attempted to kidnap her in order to likely use her as a sex-slave. Luckily she escaped and her father survived, but this story provides one example of the horrors that take place in neighboring countries. And this is a common situation. Yes, I agree that immigrants should come here legally rather than illegally, but what would you do if you were this girl's father? Sit around and wait a few years in a dangerous country, not knowing if your family will make it home safe from school/work each day? We live in a country with much wealth in comparison to other countries, and our country is much safer in comparison to neighboring countries. Yes, we have an obligation to control our borders, to make sure that we are safe. But keep in mind that, as the Church as said countless times, we are all citizens of God. We have no more right to be in a safe country than citizens of other countries. We have no more right to job opportunities, to safety, to well-being than people of other countries. We were simply lucky to be born in a safe and prosperous country. Others were not so lucky. Are you suggesting we simply turn our backs on them? Are you suggesting we just pretend nothing wrong is happening in other parts of the world? Are you suggesting that people who were simply born into such unsafe and poor nations just got the short end of the stick and oh well, that's their problem? Again, I agree that people should come here legally, but that does not mean we should be condemning illegal immigrants has hell-spawn. That's inhumane. You should note that many earnest illegal immigrants even pay taxes. This is possible by using an anonymous number that was created by the IRS for people without social security numbers. See this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18077009/

We must treat such people with compassion, not condemn them. Are you aware of what the Pope said regarding immigration when he came here in 2008? He certainly didn't say anything that resembles your sentiments. He did not say "immigrants have no right to be in the US." He did not say "the US should send all illegals back to the countries from which they came." No, he said nothing like this. His attitude was one of compassion. Listen to his words: "Brother Bishops, I want to
    encourage you and your communities to continue to welcome the immigrants who join your ranks today, to share their joys and hopes, to support them in their sorrow and trials, and to help them flourish in their new home. This, indeed, is what your fellow countrymen have done for generations." Here are some interviews with and homily excerpts of Pope Benedict XVI on immigration in the US, found here:

Vance, I think you need to ask yourself, does your attitude truly reflect that of our Holy Father and of the Catholic Church?

10. Tony

A few more comments about health care and the Catholic position. The following article is an invaluable source for learning about the Church's position on health care in our country, and it should be read by all Catholics. Here's the link: http://www.nccbuscc.org/sdwp/national/comphealth.shtml

This explains the Church's position on health care reform in America. Here are a few quotes: "Health care is more than a commodity; it is a basic human right, an essential safeguard of human life and dignity. We believe our people's health care should not depend on where they work, how much their parents earn, or where they live. Our constant teaching that each human life must be protected and human dignity promoted leads us to insist that all people have a right to health care. This right is explicitly affirmed in Pacem in Terris and is the foundation of our advocacy for health care reform." Notice, the Church clearly states here that health care is a BASIC HUMAN RIGHT. Also, take notice of the Church's position on financing of health care: "Equitable Financing. Whether it assures society's obligation to finance universal access to comprehensive health care in an equitable fashion, based on ability to pay; and whether proposed cost-sharing arrangements are designed to avoid creating barriers to effective care for the poor and vulnerable." Subsidiarity does require that the government not interfere when it is unnecessary, but clearly there are millions of people in the US without access to health care. The bishops have made it clear that health care is a basic human right, and we are in need of governmental assistance to provide this basic right for those who don't have it. The bishops do mention that programs must be efficient and lack wasteful. The principles of both subsidiarity, solidarity and social justice are all respected. This is the Church's official position. I suggest everyone take note of it. In addition, here is a link to a page on the bishop's website in which quotes from the Catechism, Papal encyclicals, and the Compendium are referenced as the frame work for the US Bishop's position on health care in our country: http://www.nccbuscc.org/healthcare/vaticanquotesonhealthcare.shtml

Pete, I do not believe I am critiquing people here because they do not agree with me. I am critiquing certain positions on this board because they do not agree with the official teachings of the Church, which often seem to be ignored.