U.S. Political Season Begins: 'Morally Coherent' Catholics Can Change this Nation Comments

Catholics are not one more "interest group" which can be polled, pandered to and bought. Our social obligation is to promote the true common good, not just use the slogan to sound "catholic" as happened in the last political cycle. We need to promote the truth as taught by the Church no matter what it is labeled in the political parlance of the hour. Our political participation must be committed to human life and dignity, marriage and the ... Continue Reading

1. Bulbajer

Pete, regarding Peter and the Church: do you think it's possible that Jesus was referring to the Christian Church?

2. Pete Brady

Cyril: My comments weren't meant to be "gracious." You no doubt got that. Your Catholicism is vacuous. As far as judging your soul it is not I but you who have made the connection. Your words clearly say that you are NOT "against abortion" despite what you may otherwise protest. Here are those words that you have so conveniently forgotten: "Let us hope that the 52% of Catholics who approve of President Obama will continue to support him in the future." Obama is stridently PRO-ABORTION, and has voted for "infanticide." No Catholic should SUPPORT THAT! If you've heard the Deacon these many years then his "message" about abortion still hasn't sunk in, has it? You are obviously not familiar with "common law" either. Jesus fulfilled the covenant given by God to the Jews. Or did you miss the part about Him being the "Messiah?" Your words about the Catholic Church being created "by humans" marks you as either an ill-informed Catholic or not Catholic at all, because, again, you must have obviously missed those words of Jesus, "Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church!" (Matthew 16:18)

3. Cyril

Dear Peter Brady, thank you for your gracious comments about my agreement with Josephine's comments. You also seem to have problems with anyone who does not agree with everything that the Deacon mentioned in his article. The Deacon has been saying pretty much the same think about abortion and making judgements about who is a good catholic for several years on this site. By the way, who gave you the right to judge my soul or tell me not to receive communion? I am against abortion too but I have not seen your anti-abortion position produce much change in the present legal abortion ruling of "Roe vs Wade." I will continue to pray that women will turn away from abortion as a solution to their pregnancy. By the way Jesus was a Jew while he was on earth and did not create the Catholic Church, that was done by humans who as we know are not perfect.

4. Pete Brady

And as I've said before, try Dr. Tom Woods', "The Church and the Market."

5. Sara Palen

There are other encyclicals that Catholics should be reading from Leo XIII on through the the 50s about these things to add moral coherency to the discussion. Those popes knew these new-sounding ideologies were the same as the old, just dressed up a bit in the newest, shiniest tinsel of the day. A true evil of socialism that many ignore is government control of family life. More and more we are giving up our familial duties to the State. Fulton Sheen called this laziness. Socialism not only takes control of private property, but the family itself.

Sara Palen

6. Bulbajer

Pete, the arguments you have against socialism say basically the same reasons I am not a socialist. he good-intentioned socialists are too naive and too idealistic. The bad-intentioned socialists are, well, self-explanatory. But you say this: 'today, with the 50 cents in my pocket I decide to buy an apple instead of second-hand shoes, for which I will save to get on another day --- and that I will continue in this nowhere job of subsistence pay that is mine today, knowing that I will improve my condition tomorrow through my own diligence, integrity, and thrift.' Diligence, integrity, and thrift will generally improve one's life, yes. But sometimes not even that will help people who are the porrest of the poor, who have the worst jobs in America. Have you ever read "Fast Food Nation"? Great book. The author describes at one point what he deems the worst job in America: cleaning a meat factory. Injuries are commonplace, and deaths are not that uncommon. Pay is minimum wage. When deaths occur, the meat-packing company usually pays a few hundred dollars for compensation. Working at a meat factory during the day is not that much better. These people are working as hard as they can, and yet they earn so little. You go and tell these people that, unfortunately, it is not the job of the government to give a helping hand to the common man; rather, it is the job of the government to ensure that there are as little restrictions on business and the economy as possible. So the meatpackers and others like them will have to keep on toiling, with only the knowledge that they're working harder than almost every other American as their reward. Just keep working harder... Ah, the sweetly deceptive smell of American capitalism.
    I may have suggested this to you before, but try Populorum Progressio and some Vatican II documents on social justice.
    Again, I'm not a social democract, but I do think that American capitalism needs some reforming.

7. John Grimes

Polly: And isn't it difficult these days to talk sense about this out-of-control arms spending, all the corruption, the bribing of whole states in our union with blood money? I don't know about you, but it seems that every time I bridge the topic, someone in the crowd accuses me of being 'unpatriotic' or of not "supporting the troops." I've heard this so often that I've come to see these 'arguments' as merely a smoke screen for unbridled greed and rampant spending. How anyone can seriously justify these expenditures of billions upon billions of dollars totally escapes me.

8. Sandra

When is Obama going to get his OWN Government in Order and - - instruct his IRS to garnishee wages and assets of Government employees ! ! !
    FEDERAL employees across the nation OWE fully $1 BILLION in back taxes to the Internal Revenue Service.
    Obama Aides owe $831,000.
    US House of Representatives - 421 people owe a total $6,524,892
    US Senate - 217 employees owe $2,774,836.
    Labor Dept - 463 owe $7,481,463
    Justice Dept - 1,971 employees owe $14,350,152
    Homeland Security - 4,856 people who owe the tax agency a whopping total of $37,012,174.
    _________________

9. Anne

ABORTION, EUTHANASIA, EMBREYONIC STEM CELL RESEARCH - are all MURDER !
    "Thou Shall NOT Kill." - God.
    If any Government does not protect and support human life from it's conception until natural death - and supports federal funding of murder, then - - - anything immoral can and probably will happen. What is worse than murder and disrespect of human life ?
    Catholics can NOT vote for anyone who has made public statements or has a public voting record of being pro-abortion.
    Make certain that every Catholic we know (age 15 and over) has read the CCC - the authoratative TEXT on Faith and Morals of the Catholic Church. It's the only chance we have.

10. polly

John Grimes, you have named the "elephant in the room" MIC. During WW11 the arms industry increased to meet the supply for the war effort. Now there is an arms industry so gross it looks for (or creates ) wars to keep the business thriving.