Glenn Beck's Rally to 'Restore Honor' Gathers Half a Million Americans, Makes History Comments

On Saturday, August 28, 2010, a massive crowd of  people gathered in Washington, D.C. for a "Restoring Honor" Rally. The Rally was called by Glenn Beck, who has captured the heart of many Americans and raised the ire of some in the main stream media. Continue Reading

1. Rose

Wow, so many negative comments about Beck. Why do so many of you fear him and his attempt to restore America to God?????

2. Pete Brady

Certainly appears that some hate Beck, others love him, some think the Deacon is a shill for the Republicans/Beck, some think the editorial shouldn't have been put on a Catholic website. Some can't respect an opposing view, and just want to shoot the messenger, along with the message. Makes me think they want to shoot those who are receptive to the message as well. Nobody, however, addressed the real underlying issue that the Deacon dangled out in front of us. I'd like to see some comments that get by Beck and address, instead, the Deacon's ending thought --- "That can only be good for what ails this Nation." And the question would be, "what, in fact, ails this Nation?" My two cents: it's a Federal government that isn't, a Federal government that not only doesn't follow but, worse, doesn't respect the U.S. Constitution and the intent of the Founders, that spends well beyond its means, that taxes without the consent of the governed, that doesn't understand economics, and STEALS from every citizen by knowingly and deliberately INFLATING the money supply through its counterfeiting press at the Federal Reserve. Follow the money. That's what ails the Nation!

3. Stephanie Howard

I was very disturbed to see pastor John Hagee appearing with Beck at the rally. He is a virulent anti-catholic and anti Semite and while he is free to appear it definitely sent a message to me as a Catholic.

244 people were on the steps. He was one of them. His views are well known. If you are a Catholic I would hope you would be as appalled as I am.

4. DJ Allyn

I am still trying to find ANY evidence that there was a half-million people at the rally. The ONLY somewhat scientific count was done by a company taking a series of aerial shots by balloon and doing a standard "grid count". The number estimated by an ACTUAL scientific count put the crowd at 87k with a margin of error of 9000.

All of the other numbers thrown out there -- 100k, 300k, 500k and some even have said a million -- only appear to be "gut figures" based on nothing more than subjective, self-serving feelings of what they could have been.

The funny thing is, when the organizers first applied for and received the license to hold the rally, they had to estimate the number of people they expected to show up by computing what each area could hold as a maximum. That maximum, if filled up to the point of being able to add no more, was only 300k. The organizers fully expected 100 thousand to show up but NO MORE THAN 300 thousand based only on maximum capacity.

5. Sam

Surprised people commenting here aren't furious about Glenn Beck having Rev Hagee at the rally. Remember what Hagee said about our church? He called our church "The Great Whore". Does Glenn Beck, a former Catholic, hate Catholics? Why was Hagee there?

6. Emily

Thank you, Deacon, for this wonderful article. I was blessed to be there with my family at this historic event. I saw several priests there. :)

At 10:00 AM, just as the opening music began to play, a flock of geese formed a perfect V formation and flew low, straight down the reflecting pool towards the stage. Glenn Beck had tried to get a military flyover but was turned down. I have heard many say that God sent his own. It was amazing.

7. Julia

Jack: It was AT LEAST half a million. I was there. Were you?

Only God knows what is in a person's heart. Also, God knows what that heart will do in the future. Have you ever considered that non-Catholics may be used by God so that they WILL convert? Beck is seeking the truth, and if he does the will of God, he is bound to find it. Who are we to judge his actions? He is begging us to return to God! There is much bigger enemy out there!

Beck was raised Catholic by an alcoholic mother who committed suicide when he was 13. Not a very good example of Catholicism, huh? Perhaps it will be by the example of Catholics who stand up to the godless left with courage and conviction, not those who sit there and say his acts of faith, hope, and charity are worthless because he's a "heretic".

As a convert of 20 years, if all the Catholics I met were calling me a "heretic" because I was a Protestant, I would certainly have never converted. I converted because of the love that I saw and experienced. It was later that I learned the specifics of my faith. Faith, Hope, and Charity was Beck's theme at the rally. The greatest of these is Charity.

"This is how they will know that you are My disciples: that you love one another, as I have loved you."

8. S.

Thomas O'Keefe:

I will not in a million years leave my Catholic faith and convert to Mormonism. Additionally, I find Beck's style to be sanctimonious and a tad melodramatic. However, his basic ideas transcend all religious differences, all skin colors, and all cultures. He's very much against abortion, and very much in favor of traditional, one man/one woman marriage. I hope he and those involved in his movement make progress toward restoring honor to our nation. I don't care if he believes in talking dogs and secret decoder rings. I'll pray for his soul to be brought to Christ anyway.

9. Julia

Anyone who says Beck is in for ratings and fame obviously does not watch or listen to his shows on a daily basis. Also ask anyone who does, and they will tell you that the opposite is true.

As for being a Mormon, Glenn Beck says all the time that he is not trying to get us to convert to his faith, but to make us better examples of our own. God can work through whomever He wants-He is God. Jesus says, "By their fruits you shall know them." And what fruits!

I was at the rally, and I can testify that the Holy Spirit was with us that day! When He comes, you know beyond a shadow of a doubt. It was unforgetable, and I say God bless Glenn Beck!! God bless America!! Praise be Jesus Christ, now and forever!!!

10. Jack Place

Let's correct the head count it was about 87,000 not 1/2 mil.

And, please do not refer to "former catholics", if they're not still Catholic, they never were to start with.