Obama Moves away from 'Freedom of Religion' toward 'Freedom of Worship'? Comments

Since the initially strong language on religious freedom used in President Obama's Cairo speech, presidential references to religious freedom have become rare, often replaced, at most, with references to freedom of worship. A purposeful change in language could mean a much narrower view of the right to religious freedom. Does this change of language indicate a change of policy? As Catholics, this is an area where we must remain vigilant. ... Continue Reading

1. John

I will not follow the corrupt, selfish ideology of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, or Fox News!

2. Robert

Politics will swing any which way the wind blows. Even without "freedom" EVERYONE can worship and practice the way they choose, EVERYWHERE. Even in North Korea there are christians, it just might be harder since in some countries you have to hide practices, but, the point is, politicians could abolish religion altogether, the truly faithful won't be persuaded. Just as they said after the financial collapse, to become squaters in your own homes, so must we stick to our own convictions and beliefs. -Shalom

3. vadhopper

I think this interpretation - and most of the anti-Obama comments here are way overblown. In fact, they ooze political mindlessness - instead of presenting rational arguement and theology.

It could equally be interpreted that freedom of worship is in fact MORE comprehensive that the freedom of religion. Freedom of religion means you can believe whatever you want. Freedom of worship mean you can believe HOWEVER you want (which would therefore include whatever you want). So in direct opposition to this author's conclusion, the Obama administration is in fact strengthening our freedoms.

There is no evidence provided here (or anywhere that I am aware of) that Obama has abandoned the concept of freedom of religion. In fact, if anything, he is fighting hard against the many right-wing "christians" who promote hate mongering and want to limit the ability of Muslims to worship how and where they want (i.e. build Mosques on their own land - even 2 blocks from ground zero).

As to what I belive, I'd like to applaud and concur with Matthew Liddle's comments:
    "As a Catholic I believe our most important role and responsibility is to engage with the world, it's people, it's politics - as disoriented as they may be - and not to retreat into paranoia, ignorant posturing and hateful speech. The present president is no greater risk to the Church than any other president. As always the greatest risk to the church is the mindlessness of its members."

Couldn't of said it any better myself.

4. bighead

this help me with my home work and i thank you so much you rock in a way any ways thnx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

5. gene

Geez, the anti-Obama fanatics leap on anything. Their PR mission is to tailor their ugly smears for every interest group that they can find. This abysmal rant isn't about gov policy or religion; it's sheer partisan politics.

What's shocking is to see such it published in the Catholic Online.

6. Maureen Sullivan

quite interesting-------how changing just one word can bring such a different meaning to everything---

just like referring to a baby as products of conception or "clump of cells" OR unwanted pregnancy--------------

Even people in Canada hailed Barrack Obama as osme kind of "saviour"

They are so blinded, in my opinion---and I know I'm not right about everything but my gut tells me he is not a good man.................He has deceived a lot of unsuspecting people for sure.

7. mike

Read a lot of comments about how BHO got into office and the blame game that is taking place. Fact, regardless of who did it, the majority voted and now we have to live with it (at least for a while). Media (most anyway) did nothing to probe the depth of BHO's true nature and made no issue of his background. Many attacked any inquisition into the man's background, thoughts, ideas, past dealing, or any historical facts, by making claims of racism if there was any questions or issues BHO generated by his comments or past. Thanks Revend Al! Good, now you have what you got. Haven't you noticed the people who are in power in the USA (media, politicians, ACLU ETC) have a value system that is all screwed up? Then they blame the rich for all the US's problems (I am poor by the way). Bottom line, people did not get past the color of his skin, due to liberal media, and were unable to judge him by the content of his character. Unfortunately, there were not enough of us who have the gift of discernment who understood what "hope and change" really meant by this radical nut job. There is a silver lining to all of this: we all understand the directions liberals want to take the USA. Vote these people out ASAP and keep them out forever! Good Day and God Bless everyone.

8. Tom

That is the best article I have ever seen people need to see whats going on.

9. Matt

I believe that it'd be good if 'freedom of religion' is to be changed to 'freedom of worship' in the Constitution, because there are some religious practices that are against the law. ex. If my religion states that it's okay for me to kill others outside of my religion, and I get arrested for murder, then there's a conflict between my religious practices and the law, therefore no true freedom of religion in the first place. So, as long as your religious practices don't come into conflict with others' rights, then the change from 'religion' to 'worship' shouldn't affect you.

10. Matthew Liddle

I couldn't agree more with David Zawistowski. As a Catholic I believe our most important role and responsibility is to engage with the world, it's people, it's politics - as disoriented as they may be - and not to retreat into paranoia, ignorant posturing and hateful speech.