Editorial: Stephen Hawking is Wrong. Church is a Defender of Life, Science and the Person Comments

Hawkings view of the insignificance of the human person is sad. His error concerning how the Church views the relationship between faith, science and reason is just plain wrong. It is one more example of the continual drumbeat against the Catholic Church in an increasingly hostile culture. What is needed are well formed Catholics who can learn how to defend the truth. Continue Reading

1. Greg

I was always taught to believe that our Catholic faith teaches us "WHY" and that science teaches us "HOW". From looking at Religion and science from that point of view I cannot discern incompadability between Religion and science. As for mistakes and misjudgement both Religion and science are guility but that does not mean we should abandon either one for mistakes made. God gave us free will and brains, it is inconceivable this was done for no reason or a "QUIRK" of nature. God Bless.

2. Bulbajer

Melissa, well I guess then we'll just have to disagree. I think we've both made good points. If you happen to be looking for good Catholic textbooks, I would suggest St. Mary's Press.

3. Melissa

Bulbajer, I went to Catholic schools my whole schooling life also and I can assure you that I did not get a Catholic education, nor anything resembling it. It is only now that I am a Catholic homeschooling mother, that I am actually learning the truth of Church History, with my children. I have taken a keen interest in the disparity between popularised versions of history and those found in Catholic sources. It has been a revelation to me. I always wondered how could the Church that I know Jesus founded and promised to protect for eternity could have done so many terrible things, as the propagandists would have us believe. I believe that the tide is turning however and it is being more and more publicly recognised that much of the anti-Catholic propaganda against the Church has been just that. Catholic education has been deficient for a very long time (which is a terrible tragedy in our modern Church history) and perhaps that is why there has been a recent "Catholic School Textbook Project" in America, to produce some long needed authentic Catholic history education resources for use in Catholic Education. One of the history curriculums that I use is actually Protestant and even it states that the Quakers were anti-Catholic (and anti-Church of England that they thought was "too Catholic"). Of course, at the end of the day, there is so much contradictory information available that it can be overwhelming. God bless.

4. Lovecraft

EINSTEIN: "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

In today's world it's science that rejects religion, not religion that rejects science.

5. dustin

its so funny to see you all defending religion with stories from history. religion is sadly just a means of keeping the people in check. people are mostly evil... but if you(as a government) give them a book that promises eternal life and everything they lust for, maybe theyll just turn into good little sheep and play my game of pay tax's and shut up. religion is the ultimate tool for control and everyone who argues this fact is currently under its influence or benefitting financially from it. silly sheep you will find out when you die that its just game over. thats it. sorry to ruin your purpose driven life, but there is no purpose, just chaos.

6. Bulbajer

John D., I will acknowledge that I did not know much of what you told me. However, it is my understading that there is not enough evidence either for Galileo's torture or against the idea of it. We do not know, and we will likely never know if Galileo underwent torture.
    Melissa, I went to Catholic schools since kindergarten. In school was where I learned most of the Catholic history I am familiar with, and most of my teachers were enthusiastically Catholic and certainly not bigotted in any form. Perhaps it seems that I spout anti-Catholicism because I tend to take the liberal side in most arguments on this side. Perhaps I do that too much; I apologize. I admit that my evidence for church repression of science and reason is limited, and situations that I do know about (for example, the church for years opposed autopsy) involve commonly held beliefs at the time and can not truly be attributed to the Church. I do know that the Church did use cruelty and repression (for example, burning certain religious dissenters) sometimes (not that the Protestants, once they became a powerful force, were much better). Two other things: I think the Quakers were comparatively benign towards Catholics; Pennsylvania used to be the only safe haven in the colonies for Catholics besides Maryland (which itself was eventually taken over by Protestants and turned against Catholics). And, I never said I agreed with Stephen Hawking on stem cell research. I agree with the Church.
    Robert and Jo - nicely put.

7. jo

The point that Hawkins misses is the clear separation that is to observed between science and religion.Science is the world of experiments and observation and by its mechanics it derives laws and principles just as the internet technology is a product of experiments.Religion is more sublime and it is to be placed above science and in the context of human mortality and the ultimate meaning of life.In that way science becomes a tool for man and religion embodies the meaning of life.

8. NG

How can Hawkins say that science beats over religion due to its proof??
    Everything in the bible is true! not because I believe it, but because there is scientific evidence of it and also.....faith in God has been carried on for a million generations!!
    so what now? the whole world till now was wrong and you are right?

9. ichthusthree

so is Hawkings saying his life is insgnificant and it would not have mattered if his mother would have aborted him?

10. Kevin D.

Phil: The church taught that the earth was flat? Can you cite a formal definition for that dogma? Wow, these "brights" sure light up the night sky.