Bishop Martin Amos of Davenport on Attempted 'ordination' of a Woman Comments

'Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Gospel of Luke 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful'. (Pope John Paul II) Continue Reading

1. K.C.Thomas

I do not understand why some dissdent catholics continue to attack the Church about its teaching on priesthood for women, abortion, premarital sex, divorce , homosexuality etc. The real believers should boycott such persons and their families. If they do not have faith in the teachings of the Catholic Church, why do they call themselves catholics. We shall pray for their conversion and for wisdom for them to see things in the right perspective

2. Sr. Janelle

I agree with Rafael, that the church has given Mary, and in doing so, all women, a very high place in Society. The fact that women are not priests does not degrade any woman at all. The fact of the matter is, Jesus did MANY things in contradiction to the social status at the time. The Samaritan woman is an excellent example of this. NO ONE went around the samaritans, they were way too far above that. He went beyond his "social class" and went out of his way to help the samaritan women. We know that Jesus was not afraid to go against anything the world had to say. Jesus gave men the role of priests to guide, guard and shepherd His flock. As a women, he has asked us to nurture and love God as Mary did. And what a gift we have been given. In imitation of Mary, our mother, we can truly aspire to a holiness and virtue that no man can ever aspire to. While Jesus and the apostles were male, Jesus came from ONLY a woman (and of course the Holy Spirit, who was not a male or female, but rather GOD). There is no reason God could not have come to earth with the help of St. Joseph. A very virtuous man, St. Joseph, no man, was given this privelege. To allow for women priests, in my opinion, is to deny the gift bestowed upon Mary. It is true Jesus appeared to the women first after the resurrection and Mary was said to be in the upper room when the apostles received the Holy Spirit. Mary, nor any other woman, was denied anything from God. The privelege of the priesthood is also not bestowed on many men in the world. They must be called.
    I understand there are women out there who struggle with this idea. I am saddened by this. To think that women need to be priests to hold a special place in the Church denies our place in the Church. Jesus, the Father, the Holy Spirit are just as alive in a woman as a man and the church has NEVER denied that.
    I pray that all people may come to love and know the dignity provided for women in the church. I pray that one day, we will all be united on this issue. It is so important to know that Jesus loved and served all people equally. It hurts me to see that women do not feel this was the case. For to say that the reason Jesus did not pick women to help him for the reason of social status means that Jesus played the game of favorites and that goes against His very nature. May God truely bless those who struggle. I only wish more women would speak out and say the sorts of things I did. It is so sad that our church has to be divided on such issues that the church proclaims as God's will. May God bless you and may you all see the dignity that has been bestowed on us as women and Sacred vessels of Jesus.

3. Barbara Speers

I have no problem with my church who does not submit women as priests at the altar or as deacons, but I still believe because of the social status of women at that time, Christ's church would have never survived if women were put into the "mans'' role, right from the beginning.

What is the difference if women are reading scripture or singing, because we are still teaching. The one area I do have a problem with women, would be the Eucharist. I have not given that as much thought, as the teaching part.

The women were at the tomb first, and Mary Magdalene saw Jesus first, and Jesus said, go tell them I have risen. Jesus gave Mary a command that could have killed her. No one resurrects from the dead. Women should never say anything to a man, especially at that time. Why did Jesus tell her that? Jesus didn't say, don't tell anyone. He gave her clear instructions. Right there, I believe Jesus took the restraints off women, and put them into the same class as men. Yes Jesus gave us the Great Commission, but that was after he "proved" himself as the Son of God.

Jesus, knowing the world at that time, allowing women to take over leadership roles, when they were one step over the cattle in social class, would be ridiculous and disastrous.

I understand the argument that Jesus choose the apostles, but remember, Jesus did not come to change the "social order" of the world, he came to save the world. There is the difference.

It makes no difference to me, whether there is or isn't women priests, but women are really on the same playing field as men. With all due respect, I do believe more study into the Eucharist, and who can secure and administer the sacrament, should be studied without the blindfolds, that women are not acceptable. We must take into consideration the social custom of the world, at the time Jesus walked the earth.

We can honor the Blessed Mother, and gloriously so, but doesn't she put women into a higher status? She gave birth to divinity, and she was an earthly woman.

I am sure these are the same arguments that have been brought up before, and I am no way looking to change the order of the church. I do believe it should be looked at again, using the situation of the social order which held women back.

My heart is not blasphemous, merely confused. I am not looking to change our church, because I believe in it's Divine, and Holy presence, as it stands right now. But over the years, things have changed, that were held so closely as doctrine.

My words are sent in loving kindness, not mockery or evil thinking. Have a wonderful and blessed day!

4. Edward.Fullerton

I don't know why some "Catholics feel they need to give precis of the fact,that they' ve wandered from the church.It's distorted form of humilty.A lingering,kind of a spiritual neuralgia,don't they need the ,Gospels!.

5. Edward.Fullerton

The ,faithful,should have every confidence in their , Archbishops ,bishops,parish-priests, in the-United states.In stark contrast to what your media says,and,mine,UK.ps,Laudator,Iasus.Christus.

6. rafaelmarie

Mary is the Mother of God.

She is closer and more favored by God more than any other human, except his Son, Jesus.

But She never aspired to be a Priest.

She was greatly loved and revered by the Apostles, and they found solace in her when Jesus left the earth, but She never aspired to be a leader.

On the contrary, She humbled herself, and in doing so, She is the greatest human being ever born, besides her Son, who is the God-man, man-God.

Nuns, learn from our Blessed Mother.

If you want to be great, be humble.

As a Priest is persona Cristi here on earth, you represent Mary here on earth.

WHAT GREATER HONOR DO YOU WANT???

As a man cannot attain that honor because he is a man, so a woman cannot be a Priest because she is a woman.