Archbishop Timothy Dolan: Immigration Reform. Here We Go Again Comments

'And, here we go again!  Arizona is so scared, apparently, and so convinced that the #1 threat to society today is the immigrant that it has passed a mean-spirited bill of doubtful constitutionality that has as its intention the expulsion of the immigrant.What history teaches us, of course, is that not only are such narrow-minded moves unfair and usually unconstitutional, but they are counterproductive and harmful'. Continue Reading

1. N Shaffer

Archbishop Dolan,
    How many immigrants¯ sneak into Vatican City, and when discovered are allowed to stay?
    Matthew 23:4 For they preach but they do not practice. They tie up heavy burdens (hard to carry) and lay them on people's shoulders, but they will not lift a finger to move them.¯

2. Richard Sauder

What is wrong with:

"All legal immigrants are WELCOME. However, all illegal immigrants are CRIMINALS.

It is very simple. What's the problem?

3. Jack McCauley

The Bishop and apparently his Bishop brothers could use a strong "brushup" on our Constitution.

The State has been unable to receive the much promised support from the Federal govt. whose primary job is to secure our country which means secure our borders.
    Because our Federal Govt failed to deliver this over the past 10 years (making this both a republican and democrat issue) the State has taken steps to legislate (and legally pass a law) to protect itself because it obviously feels threaten. Not by race, but by bankruptcy. They are experiencing issues that has them worried about their own financial solvency and other state capacities. And they have every right to do this.

If the law is unconstitutional we have Courts (and the Court) to determine this and they will. Also, they is laws and governance on policeman and how they perform their jobs.

I am amazed after all the Church has gone through with the scandals that the Bishop could issue such a narrow, superficial point of view. Just adding to the emotional angst is not constructive, but being more knowledgeable of our laws and government is not only constructive, it is essential for the Church to understand this.

Additionally, I think it is shameful for the Bishop to immediately jump on his "concern" that policeman will abuse their "power". Bishop, in the same way every priest is not a molester, every policeman is not looking to hurt people or abuse their power to enforce the law. Have some trust in our government and the good people who make it work everyday.

If you truly want to speak out. Then call specifically on President, staff and Senate and Congress to do something immediately. That is the heart of the real story. Scourging Arizona is not the issue.

4. susan Webb

I'm dissappointed in the support given to the bishop's veiwpoint by Catholic On-line...this now gives me great pause in trusting their information and articles. Can we laity not count on any entity to hold fast to wisdom or truth? The bishop has fallen victim to the "Social Justice" vaccuum with which the progressives have used to hide their true agenda...this is all about votes for the next 60 years not social justice...If progressives give illegals (which aren't just from Mexico) amnesty, they have locked in a majority voting block for the rest of the illegals lifetime, esp. if they don't have to learn English! If they don't speak,read or write English, they are less likely to discover the truth for themselves. Really quite brilliant on the socialist/communists', oh,umm, I mean progressives' part. Social Justice would be our bishops speaking out against the illegals being "used" as political chattel...unless most of our bishops share the progressives agenda, hmmm...that would explain a great deal about why they allow so many deviations from the "Norms" by liberal priests & DREs within their diocese. The further they move the American Church down that road, the more power they gain and favors they receive from the political players. Very sad, the corruption and apostacy that is going on. But the Church will survive, Pope Benedict XVI is already beginning the purge! Those following this thread should check out Real Catholic TV . c o m. Fascinating stuff found by Church Watchdogs...J. M. J. Pray for us!!!

5. Jack Gordon

James Gumper: Quite right -- a FEDERAL law, not one passed by the legislature of an individual state. We once fought a protracted civil war over just this kind of thing.

6. James C Gumpper

It was a civil/federal law that required a census to be taken in which Mary & Joseph followed, that caused a birth in Bethlehem. The Holy Family followed the Roman Law. It is a civil/federal law that requires all people who enter this country to be accounted for and checked either thru visa or citizenship, This is called LEGAL immigration. This is traditionaly how our populance came to be. Bishop- Give Ceasar what is Ceasar's and give God what is God's.

7. Mike Mayenschein

I do not agree with the Bishop here. It has nothing to do with prejudice against immigrants it has everything to do with "illegal" immigrants. My wife is an immigrant from Canada and we have to go through a lot to respect and obey the law for her to come here. Either we obey the law, which are just, or we make Mexico apart of the US and do away with that boarder. I see the Bishop putting up a Staw-man argument saying this is prejudice against immigrants when it is nothing of the sort. It is safety for the country. Let there be more "Legal Immigrants" and more people working on giving out more Green Cards, but don't just do away with the boarder and the laws that govern it.

8. John Grimes

Wes Lisitza: Read my post and you will see that I didn't talk about the justness of this law or mention that it was evil. I merely pointed out that the call to obey ALL laws is hardly Catholic. It is up to civil authorities to determine whether the Arizona law is constitutional; I suspect it is not, but I am not a student of law. As for your questions about travelling overseas, no, one does not have to carry a passport. I have lived for extended periods in four foreign countries and never carried my passport with me while there. (I say this because I think the problem in Arizona will be just that, the carrying of documentation once the border has been crossed, not having a passport at the point of entry.)

The real problem here is that this question has become a rack upon which xenophobes and racists can hang their dirty hats, all the while pretending they only wish to enforce a law. Some folks, perhaps you, are sincere in their support for the Arizona law, but many are using it to further immoral designs they would rather hide.

9. J. Bob

Traveling one night from El Paso Tex. to Alamogordo NM, we were stopped, and asked for ID's, which we (all US citizens) provided. Inquiring, before we left, what was going on, we were told of looking for smugglers and illegals. All of us came from the northern part of the country, but we were stopped and checked anyway.

This happened almost 50 years ago, and no one complained. So why now?

I think the Bishops might worry more about the faith being "instilled" by some of our "Catholic" institutions (i.e. Notre Dame, Fordham),

10. Michael

I am an Arizonan, and I am against this law for one very clear reason, which has nothing to do with immigration. To be clear, I am 100% against illegal immigration. This law's intention is admirable, but the implementation is very poor, which leads me to believe it was passed as a "show of force" and not as an actual solution.

If I drive a van with six of my Latino, born-and-raised-in-the-USA, good friends and legal citizens to the CA/AZ border, with this law we will all most likely be detained if my friends are not carrying identification. A passenger in a vehicle is not required to have a driver's license (some people don't drive at all!) and so may not have identification on them. THAT is the problem with this new law.

We often hear of people wanting less government interference in our lives, we want our freedoms, etc...but this law will make it a serious inconvenience to not have identification with you. The joke used to be that America's enemies were the ones to ask for papers, but now we're pursuing that option. THAT is the problem with this law. I refuse to surrender my liberty to travel freely without government interference, and it is truly confusing to me why my fellow citizens are in a rush to lose it.

Illegal immigration is a problem, absolutely, but this law should be repealed, and must be a wake-up call for Federal action.

-Mike