Archbishop Timothy Dolan: Immigration Reform. Here We Go Again Comments

'And, here we go again!  Arizona is so scared, apparently, and so convinced that the #1 threat to society today is the immigrant that it has passed a mean-spirited bill of doubtful constitutionality that has as its intention the expulsion of the immigrant.What history teaches us, of course, is that not only are such narrow-minded moves unfair and usually unconstitutional, but they are counterproductive and harmful'. Continue Reading

1. Mike

Maybe I'm wrong, but Isn't Arizona enforcing a law already on the books? Why all the fuss? I truly sympathize with the plight of the illegal, but we cannot pick and choose the laws we break can we. Our Federal Government ignored this problem and a STATE is doing something about it. Bravo Arizona. The opinion of the church on this issue, while valid, fails to take into account the economic burden that is placed on every working American. In laymans terms Bishop, you're biting the hand that feeds you.

2. Ken

Maybe the good cardinal should keep his comments to himself since they do not reflect the sentiments of most American catholics. in the first place ILLEGAL ALIEN is a lawbreaker and deserves to be deported. If someone wants to enter this country legally and obey our laws they are welcome. It doesn't matter if they are hispanic or some other nationality. I hope the Arizona law is upheld by the supreme court which just happens to be made up of mostly catholic judges.

It is too bad the Cardinal wasn't so prompt to go after Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden who claim to be catholic but support abortiion on demand and gay marriages! Those are against church teaching. They are also in positions where they can deceive other American catholics. Too bad the American bishops were so reluctant to take a stand in support of church teaching.

I continue to remain loyal to the Roman Catholic Church in such matters. But have little respect for the opinions of the American clergy in secular matters.

3. Sandra Melanson

I believe you are omitting a VERY IMPORTANT adjective in front of the word "immigrant". The word being "illegal". Most of us love immigrants (all of our ancestors at one time were immigrants). We love having new immigrants who want to thrive here and enjoy freedom. But the country that I love has no place for ILLEGALS. Why do we want people who break the law, when there are so many people who want to come into our country legally, as our forefathers have. Why has the work "illegal" become a non-word. It used to mean something.

4. Vance

Bishop Dolan and his cohorts do not take on the serious issues concerning Arizona. The drug cartels and coyotes are MURDERING, RAPING, SEX SLAVE TRADING, and DRUG TRAFFICING in and out of Mexico. And who are the victims??? MEXICANS!!! If Dolan and Mahoney really care about Mexicans, they'd better shoot at the BAD GUYS and not the citizens of Arizona.

5. John Grimes

Wes Lisitza: Your last post confirms my suspicions that most supporters of this Arizona law know it is probably unconstitutional but think it will push Washington to do what they deem right. We'll see. I suppose there may be some place on the planet where a foreigner is forced to carry his passport, but in many years of experience overseas I never found it. I have noticed that Americans are not immune from the universal experience of imagining foreign countries are different from what they are in reality.

6. Wes Lisitza

Note: My post got cut off. I meant to say, it's too bad there are people in this country may want to. My only interest in this law is that it will get Congress to do something about immigration reform with the outcry against it.

7. Wes Lisitza

John Grimes: True, you didn't mention the "justness" of the law or whether it was evil. You did mention "social justice" and you accused most people posting here as not being as well read of Catholic doctrine as you think - alluding to political stripes being brighter than Christian conviction (of course, this is mere paraphrasing).

I won't get into a match with you over subjective experiences, so I'll just say, "Good for you" regarding not being asked for a passport. Just because you weren't asked doesn't mean it doesn't happen outside of our country. As well, plenty of laws in this country can be misconstrued as a rack for xenophobes and racists, just look at the 2nd Amendment - it's a Right, you know. However, that doesn't mean that everyone will use it that way. It's too bad

8. Sergio Duarte

This is what I needed to see....I love what the Archbishop Dolan and All other bishops are standing for.
    Just by seeing so many comments against them (the immigrants, and their advocates) I feel so good, Now I know Catholicism is my religion, I am a follower of Christ and I stand firm with all the causes of the catholic church.
    It is necessary to see how the world always tends to go against the church (the Catholic Church) and then the persecution will come and that's the way it is, has been and always be.
    "VIVA EL ARZOBISPO DOLAN Y VIVAN LOS EMIGRANTES DE TODAS LAS NACIONES"

9. Manhattan

RealCatholicTV.com is indeed a terrific website. Thank you, SusanWebb!

10. Rosemary

The Archbishops comments are shrill and patronizing. That is very surprising to me because they don't jive with his other writing. Anyway, of course, we need to have compassion for the poor; that is elementary to Christianity. So let's be fair: Send ships and jets to pick up all the poor in the world and bring them to the US. If you really want to be compassionate, you also should not discriminate. There are many poorer people in the world than the Mexicans. In fact, they are quite well off in comparison to those in Niger or the slums of Manila. If we discriminate to favor only the Mexicans, what does that say about our sense of justice?
    His attitude is just the same as that expressed by "progressive" Catholics: Don't think too much about what is right. Concentrate on what is "fair". That leads to: why can't we have women priests, you misogynist! Why can't we have homosexual marriage, you homophobe! Etc. Dolan is using the same technique. His lack of depth and nuance on this issue is disappointing.