Archbishop Timothy Dolan: Immigration Reform. Here We Go Again Comments

'And, here we go again!  Arizona is so scared, apparently, and so convinced that the #1 threat to society today is the immigrant that it has passed a mean-spirited bill of doubtful constitutionality that has as its intention the expulsion of the immigrant.What history teaches us, of course, is that not only are such narrow-minded moves unfair and usually unconstitutional, but they are counterproductive and harmful'. Continue Reading

1. AndyO

Azul: Freedom has a price and if having on my possession a document that proves my citizenship to this great Country I will, for I have nothing to hide because I am proud to show I am a citizen. For your information I am a Native American who's family lives on a Reservation in San Diego, Ca. and why should I have to present my citizen to anyone, but I gladly will and do. All who are in the United States are required to have on your possession documents that verify who you are, are you violated every time you are asked to prove your identity when cashing a check? And yes your 85 year old Aunt from Boston by law should have identification to prove her identity especially if something happens to her away from home and from someone who knows her. Many have given their lives, my Grandfather gave his life, his future for this Country in war, the least others can do is to provide identification when requested to prove citizenship. This law only terrifies those who are illegal or who have a questionable background with law enforcement. I am not afraid of this law, it is just and constitutional. I know that because I have read it. I support Arizona, I support this law and I am a Proud Native American who promotes legal immigration.

2. John Grimes

Those who think this law is innocuous except for "law-breakers" need to read Azul's post. It is hard to understand why so many people can be taken in by this transparent front for the long-standing right-wing campaign in this country to disguise racism and xenophobia as reason. For me it is clear that the program of "immigration law reform" espoused by every reactionary talk-radio jockey in the US today stands in the political tradition stretching back to the Know-nothing Party.

3. azul

I live in AZ. My husband and and I were both born here. My Dad was born in AZ in 1918. I do not like this law. this law has some wording of the federal law. What this law does that the federal law does not is:
    1. Current law in Arizona and most states doesn't require police to ask about the immigration status of those they encounter. Most police departments prohibit their officers from inquiring about a person's immigration status fearing that doing so will stop people from co-operating with police and reporting dangerous situations.

2. New law requires police to "determine the immigration status" of individuals whom they have "reasonable suspicion" to be in the country illegally. This 'requirement' allows people to SUE an Arizona official or agency "that adopts or implements a policy or practice that limits or restricts the enforcement of federal immigration laws to less than the full extent permitted by federal law." No other law in our country allows people to sue law enforcement officials for not following up in the way a particular person feels they should!! This is an unfunded mandate that will eat up already limited manpower and resources.
    I am for closing the borders. That is a difficult thing to do but maybe we need more federal manpower there. AZ has one of the strictist laws for employers. They must use EVerify to prove that an employee is in AZ legally. What this law does is make Americans who look like they 'could be illegal' suspect. I had an Aunt who never drove. She was born in Boston. She took the bus and walked wherever she went. So she didn't have a driver's license or anything else to verify her citizenship. Does an 85 yr old suddenly have to go through the time and expense of finding which county in the US may have their birth certificate and order a copy simply to prove they are a US citizen? If you are out jogging should you have to carry your driver's license, if you drive? You may feel this will not racially profile people but it does. It is already happening and this law isn't even in effect yet. we've had Americans born here who were detained, in some cases lost time at work plus the embarressment of the whole thing until they proved they were legal. I have family and friends who are Mexican Americans...very much legal residents and this law outrages and terrifies them as it does me. I absolutely agree with Michael, another person from AZ who posted on May 1.

4. Wes Lisitza

John Grimes: As I said, good for you. I could write about my years of experience and the years of many others' experiences and why I'm basing my opinion off them, but really, the debate is trivial. This American has seen plenty of the world and has been many places off of the soil of this country. The most we'll receive from this is a stale-mate.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say I thought this law was "unconstitutional"; I merely stated that we have laws that empower people to make poor decisions, thus being able to use race as a motivator or incentive. We see this all over, especially in jury selection procedures. If the law were "unconstitutional", there'd be a problem with the entire immigration procedural code, since all the law is doing is enforcing it. True that Archbishop Dolan speaks of immigration back in its hey-day when people registered through Ellis Island getting off the boats in New York. I guess what he forgot is that fact, they registered when they arrived. That's why the Arizona Law is getting the unregistered people out. But there's another position on this issue that most people aren't realizing.

Does every law have to be enforced? Not really. It was once against the law to commit suicide many centuries ago (they'd drag your corpse through the streets and deny your surviving family restitution rights). Does it really matter if Arizona police enforce this law or not? Well, to be honest, no. Our country hasn't been enforcing our immigration laws for a long time (to name a few laws). That's why we have so many problems.

5. Gerry

I am a regular Catholic viewer of saint of the day, so I come to the site for other reasons, and sometimes click on news items.
    I clicked on this because I see the archbishop on with Fr. Benedict sometimes on the EWTN.
    The church, via the archbishop's words, is promoting what? Illegal immigrants are fine to enter AZ? AZ citizens are wrong to pass a law allowing state police to arrest breakers of a federal law? Why is he entering into the argument? What is his point? And is it the church's same point?
    The church should not pick this fight with the citizens of AZ, in my opinion, and he is picking a fight where it isn't necessary.
    I think this man spoke without thinking it through very well.

6. cris

Here is the link to http://www.azgovernor.gov/dms/upload/SB_1070_Signed.pdf

My only concern is when does a reasonable suspicion exist and when it is not.

7. F Landry

The key word is illegal. Somewhere along the line the illegals knew it may come to this. The solution is stop supporting them with tax dollars and send them home.

8. leni

I can see how details are missed when a person is as busy as Archbishop Dolan, God bless him. As has been said before, I don't think he's read it... and is relying on Arizona bishops,etc for information and opinion. Judging from the YouTube interviews of the sheriff involved, I defer to the sheriff's expertise on the matter. this is a matter of the law and the welfare of legal citizens. Maintain our boundries and yet deal with compassion with those families threatened with separations, for children's sake. That's a big enough problem to deal with without dealing with, and inviting, more illegal activity. Charity begins at home... but it's common sense to monitor who you let into your home so you still even have a home and it;s not destroyed or robbed or violated.

9. Fr Marvin cs

The Immigrants didn't chose to be illegally by their own pleasure. Is difficult to understand many situations until yourself are immigrant. The Italians, French, Germany and many other countries have a different consideration. Actually they don't even need a Visa to come in the United States. They don't have to prove if their economical situation is stable in their countries, they don't have to prove anything. Until 1950's Italians were expecting different proposal where to go: At the end they chose the most convenient. Mexican, people from Central America and South America have NO CHOICE where to go.

10. Judy Dischner

As a devout Catholic I support Arizona in this law, which DOES NOT call for racial profiling. Civil government exists to protect its citizens. Why Archbishop Dolan and Cardinal Mahoney and others can speak so vehemently against Arizona without addressing the drug crime of which so many have been victimized, including, the "immigrant" him or herself, indicates he is sadly misinformed at best.
    Irish Catholic from April 29 has the facts exactly right. This country is in dire need of updated immigration reform. Instead we have Democrats using the issue to promote more voters to their cause. The Republicans often support the big businesses who "need" them as cheap labor in their industries. The fact is, we DO need them in this country. We are facing a demographic winter without more young workers and citizens investing in this great land.
    Most of us see why Arizona was forced to take this step. We need our bishops to advocate for updated reform, a reform that is enforced and would expedite the immigration process, allowing simple working men, women and families to enter legally, and safely.