Archbishop Timothy Dolan: Immigration Reform. Here We Go Again Comments

'And, here we go again!  Arizona is so scared, apparently, and so convinced that the #1 threat to society today is the immigrant that it has passed a mean-spirited bill of doubtful constitutionality that has as its intention the expulsion of the immigrant.What history teaches us, of course, is that not only are such narrow-minded moves unfair and usually unconstitutional, but they are counterproductive and harmful'. Continue Reading

1. Liz

Since it is not Catholic dogma or doctrine, we do not have to agree. I think we have to be realistic. Illegals are illegals. If you want to come to this country come like my grandparents did - legally. Arizona, California, Nevada are all inundated with illegals - all bleeding the system ... and then there are the gangs. I hope the bishops study this just a little more closely.

2. John

JS,
    I understand your confusion. When a bishop speaks, we always need to understand what he's said and form our consciences in the light of the Church's teaching. In this case though, I don't believe Archbishop Dolan has precisely made a binding moral statement, so much as he's stated an opinion based on a particular point of view.

While he has a legitimate point about the historical nature of immigration problems, I don't think he quite hit it this time. Arizona has been begging the feds to be more rigorous with the border for most of 10 years already; I think they finally decided that enough was enough when a rancher was killed by illegals not too long ago.

Ironically, for all the fussing from bishops and politicians about this law, Congress still hasn't addressed the issue. They've been arguing about a finance bill!

Me thinks immigration isn't the stern issue to Congress that many think.

3. Diane

I welcome immigrants but believe they should come here legally and be expected to follow our laws, just as everyone else should. I don't believe it is unreasonable for law-enforcement to ask for identification if they stop a person for a probable cause. I also believe businesses who hire illegals should be prosecuted. The government also needs to help by making it easier and quicker for employers to identify whether possible employees are or are not legal citizens. How do the bishops suggest that we justly, sanely and civilly protect our borders and our citizens? Do they believe in equal justice for all or only social justice?

4. Ronald Bach

What he says is 100% right. It is a pity that a handful of bloggers seem to go to every site via different names and spew the same rhetoric about how they support the Arizona law. Bob1, Bob2, Mary1, Mary2, Don1 etc is all just one guy, who wants you to believe that real Americans like to rip families apart, like to forget persecution of their own forefathers. To say one came here legally - who made the law - the native indians or someone who came here illegally in the first place. It is similar to say the illegal aliens coming in now, make the law and then we abide by them. There is much more to it then that - America is a land of immigrants who have conscious. Stop broadcasting hate and all those readers out there - remember the Aryan nation method of spewing hate by the minority with false hope of being a majority is a Nazi way of brainwashing people.

5. Bob

What most of America sees is the Catholic Church getting involved with mean spirited rhetoric by ignoring the facts...illegal is against the Federal Law and the Federal Government is not protecting the citizens of Arizona or the other border States. As a Catholic...I do not agree with the Archbishop and it concerns me greatly. There is no "Statue of Liberty" in Arizona where immigrants can pass into America legally...wake up...Americans and Arizonians is not against immigration or caring for the poor. Were dealing with criminal gangs, terrorists, drug dealers, and human trafficking, etc.. We don't need immigration reform...we need the Federal Law on immigration enforced.

6. daniel m malone

JS Don't be confused. The good Archbishop is simply wrong on this issue. There is a basic economics issue in front of this country, not simply a social justice issue. Read the demographic consequences of 12,000,0000 illegals in this country and ask for a dialogue when that number is 24,000,000. We currently have 4,000 adults with disabilities on waiting lists in Nebraska for years as there is no money to provide for them. And what again is the real cost to this country for this illegal invasion? How does the social justice argument counsel the innocents who are suffering in our country while the illegal invaders suck the resources away from those in need. Archbishop, you need realistic advisers on this issue. Dad9Omaha

7. Tom Diorio

Archbishop Dolan,

I love you deeply but I am torn. Torn where you are advocating that we simply roll over and without our permission, accommodate an invasion of our home. These illegal invaders are stealing from us. They give us no reason to 'welcome' them. They steal from our other charitable efforts.

With the onslaught of illegals and the immoral oppression coming from Washington I am having trouble being charitable.

8. Jason

Most of you guys have said it better than I can. I respect Abp. Dolan. He is wrong on this point. Heck I'm the product of immigrants (as are we all). My Sicilian ancestors weren't given the red carpet treatment by any stretch but they came here legally, embracing America and all she stood for, looking simply for a chance to be free and to work. I'm sure there are many Mexicans who yearn for the same thing. Don't hop the fence. Just come here legally, to work and raise your family as free people. Every nation has an obligation to vigorously defend it's borders and control immigration with the rule of law. That there is any debate on that indicates how confused we all have become under modernism.

9. Tom Diorio

Archbishop Dolan,

10. JS

Hum, I have a problem. I am about as Catholic as it gets. I mean really Catholic, but I am also a convert, meaning I know why I believe what I believe, and I believe in love. Which requires a giving, an obedience.

So, here is my issue, I believe that the Bishops are wrong with their statement on what is going on in Arizona.

I am confused.