Opinion: Why I Will No Longer Support Girl Scouts Comments

It's time for Catholics to carefully and prayerfully consider whether Girl Scouts still fits in the framework of authentically living our faith in the world. Continue Reading

1. Jennifer

Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this. I wouldn't let my daughter join in grades k-2 because I had similar concerns but could never find any concrete evidence. Everyone tends to think the good outweighs the bad so to say. and it almost seems criminal not to buy those cookies. anyway, this year I finally broke down and told my daughter she could join. after all, she just wanted to be with her friends. My gut hurt and my heart hasn't been in it because I feel conflicted. I think I knew all along this wasn't the place she should be.

2. K

as a former GS, I have been disgusted by their behavior. They are very proud to say they are not the same GS as your mothers'. I hope this will now push the dioceses to force the GS out of their facilities and bring American Heritage Girl in. Most people assume if the church schools allow them to use the space, they are in line with the church.

Elizabeth - secular or not - they have no right to push their feminist, progressive, pro-abortion, pro-homosexual, pro-sex agenda down my daughter's throat. I have no problem with protecting the environment but it comes with too much other stuff!

3. Lovecraft

Elizabeth, are you kidding? Atheism and secular humanism are religions, because a generic definition of religion is: "Something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience." [dictionary.reference.com] Although atheist and secular humanist may not have churches [yet], they are without a doubt organizations that strive to direct our institutions, culture and society. They are not neutral entities, as you seem to imply.

4. Patrick

This underscores the need to ensure none of our activities inadvertently work against the Culture of Life, especially fund raising for our schools and youth groups. We at Fearless Fundraisers (www.fearlessfundraisers.com) supply only products made by religious orders faithful to Church teachings on life and family.

5. Alvy Singer

Yeh, uh, how about no. In fact, I think I'll buy me two boxes to balance out your refusal.

6. Brian

This article is right on the mark. Too many of us Catholics have been subtly duped into thinking that many of these once good organizations still represent the values that most of us share, but they don't. They often advance causes that are anti-American, anti-tradition, and anti-Christian. I applaud the Boy Scouts for their difficult battle to fight those who want to change the excellent virtues they have stood for all these years. The Girl Scouts? It's sad. While I am sure many scouts are great girls, and even faithful Catholics, I would never let my daughter join and will not buy their cookies, either. It's a shame, but the author is right: God and country are just too important.

7. Edgar

To Elizabeth: The problem is not the environment but relativism and gender idiology as the article so clearly states. Thanks for the warnings Mrs. Hartline. I was not aware of how bad this was with the girl scouts.

8. Shannon

Thanks for getting the word out on this. I've known it for awhile. The Girl Scouts here also have a Planned Parenthood rep come in and do sex ed classes for them. I would NEVER let my girl's join!

Stick with the Boy Scouts.... so far, they are holding firm!

9. Lovecraft

Sadly, the GS organization is a shell of what it started out as. If they marketed their cookies the way they market they organization, the boxes and photos of the cookies would look the same, but all the cookies would be salmonella tainted rice cakes. Mother Teresa's name on the list of GS role models, is the antidote for all of the feminist and new world order women who predominate it. For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see her name suddenly dropped from that roster, after she is declared a Catholic saint.

10. Pierre-Aelred

Thanks so much for these insights.