Opinion: Why I Will No Longer Support Girl Scouts Comments

It's time for Catholics to carefully and prayerfully consider whether Girl Scouts still fits in the framework of authentically living our faith in the world. Continue Reading

1. Tom

"...allowing a girl to swear her oath to a tree or an animal or anything else she chooses to substitute for the word "God." And so what if she did if that's her family's belief system? Perhaps an Indian-American girl whose family practices Hinduism would pray to one of her deities--some of those deities assume animal form. Are you suggesting that these girls shouldn't be allowed to take part, or that you think good Catholics shouldn't be involved in Girl Scouts because non-Christian girls might participate? That's the attitude some people held until relatively recently about Jews—they weren't allowed to belong to certain clubs and organizations, because Christians didn't want them. Or what about the way many whites in the South objected to integration, some even pulling their children out of schools, because it offended their beliefs and sensibilities. There's a strong whiff of that here.

2. Jamie

Yes, because the girl scouts should be selective in who they choose to admit and deny to their table. Just like Jesus was...

3. Bill

It is unfortunate that the Catholic Church continues to take such an unyielding view on abortion. Now my fellow Catholics are even attacking the Girl Scouts, for goodness sake!

Here is what the pope said when he was a cardinal. It bears reconsideration of our totalitarian views toward abortion.

“Above the pope as an expression of the binding claim of church authority,” writes Cardinal Ratzinger, “stands one’s own conscience, which has to be obeyed first of all, if need be against the demands of church authority.”

Cardinal Ratzinger called this the "Primacy of Conscience". His perspective is quite notably in conflict with the determination of some church members to override the conscience of every woman making a difficult decision.

4. cj

This was a great report that I wish main stream media would acknowledge. It is frightening how our children are being influenced to give up their independent thinking!

5. Maureen

the general public should be made aware of this. I have suspected a feminist ideology infiltrating the girl guides for quite some time now and would never put any girl in my care in girl guides. I used to be a girl guide and it was wonderful. we were kids, doing kid things and not brainwashed!!!

6. HeadTater

I have no problem with organizations like the Girl Scouts tolerating other faiths (or lack therefore of). We, as Christians, should not force our beliefs on others. We should introduce our beliefs to them, but if they choose not to accept Jesus, we should not force them. However, what you said about the pro-abortion, anti-USA and man-hating feminist agenda is frightening. I was in the Boy Scouts and I remember how it promoted morality (without forcing one particular faith) and patriotism. I had always been under the impression that the Girl Scouts did the same for girls and young women. I guess that is no longer the case.

7. Angela

I'm so glad I saw this! Although I feel bad cause I have a neighbor girl who is in girl scouts and my family and I bought cookies from her. But if the Girl Scouts are going this way, then I guess forget it.

8. JeanCatherine

Hey ladies,

Check out the new series on EWTN:
    ALL THINGS GIRL. I haven't read the books but their are four of our Catholic women who are in on it.
    One is Theresa Tomeo who was in journalism and broadcasting and the other ladies are know slouches.
    If I could have know about this in pre-teen to high school this would have been up my alley.
    This rocks more than the girls scouts from what I saw on EWTN.
    So there is hope for all of you.
    Check it out ladies.
    I think you will be glad.
    I agree Ms. Lovecraft. Ive pondered and thought the same about Atheism. It is a belief nonetheless.

Peace.

9. verman

As a Catholic Elizabeth we are called to be disciples of Jesus in everything we do. Just because the Girl Scouts are a secular organization does not justify why immorality should be allowed within the organization. The teachings of Jesus should and must reign in the daily activities of every human being.

10. LaRue

It has been oh, maybe 50 yrs since I started out as a "Brownie" in the Girl Scouts...sure a lot of change has happened since my time but what is going on now is just plane unacceptable in mind...Strange, that just this morning I was approached by a Girl Scout to buy cookies..I said no because I simply didn't want any...sort of ironic that I received this email from a good friend...I'm just saying that if I had girls they most certainly not be in girl scouts after what I have read here...Thank you to my friend...