Opinion: Why I Will No Longer Support Girl Scouts Comments

It's time for Catholics to carefully and prayerfully consider whether Girl Scouts still fits in the framework of authentically living our faith in the world. Continue Reading

1. Jake

Have you all lost your mind! It is amazing how some people can twist the words of even our pope into what you see fit. The Catholic Church is and should be unflinching in its teachings. This "tolerance" that everyone is going for is a great evil that you have let yourself beleive to be alright. How can we tolerate something like the death of an unborn child? If you call yourself a Catholic, and "pro-choice" or "gay", you are not Catholic! You must do as the Church teaches. It is not some club, it is The Church! The greatest evil always comes from within.

2. Ann

The GS can do whatever they want, Ms. Hartline's point is that Catholics faithful to the teachings of the Church should not be a part of GS. Any involvement in GS is supporting all of the goals and philosophies of the organization. I say this as a GS leader who is taking my daughter out of GS and I will be stepping down as troop leader. I do not do this lightly since many people will be affected but it is the most effective witness that I can give on this issue. I would have blood on my hands otherwise. I used to think that I could shelter my daughter from the feminist agenda as long as I was present but that was before I knew of the connection with PP and how very radical they are.

3. Bill

Jamie, you said, "[T]he girl scouts should be selective in who they choose to admit and deny to their table. Just like Jesus was..."

Are you aware that most of the people Jesus "invited to His table" were considered sinners?

4. Beth

Why is being a feminist so inherently wrong? As a proud Catholic, and a feminist, I see no direct conflict.

5. Marie DiCicco

I will not support the Girl Scouts cookies either, not even the Girl Scouts. I'm glad this is out in the open.

6. Andrew

What if part of the money from GS cookies is sponsoring Planned Parenthood and such publication like the "Girl Scouts Distribute Planned Parenthood Sex Guide at UN Meeting" Is it OK for a Christian or any pro-life person to be forced to sponsor such things under "innocent" GS organization?

7. tara

I am a Catholic and a mother of four girl scouts. I will research these articles but I feel like it is a parents responsibility to teach their kids the teachings of the church. I attend their meetings with them and I know their leader is strong in her faith which for these issues follow the Catholic teachings. There has never been a time where I feel like their beliefs are being jeopardized, if they were I would do what I see fit to either leave that troop or girl scouts all together.

8. Terry Brennan

I am sorry...but the Girl Scouts are not a religious or military organization. The organization responds to demand. Someone is demanding these types of activities and lessons. Live and let live. My wife moved the kids to Camp Fire Kids when the scouts went in a different direction. The Boys to the right, and the girls(then) to fashion.

TB

9. Angela

While I've never been in Girl Scouts, nor am I Catholic, I am a Christian woman who is relieved to see an article that brings to light all of the apparent hidden agendas of the Girl Scouts. Understandably, it's assumed that not everyone in this secular group will be Christian, and it's also not the best idea to push people to be Christian in order to be part of the group, as some previous posts have mentioned. I don't believe that was the writer's intention.

The Girl Scouts have gone beyond being all-inclusive, in my opinion. The morals (if you can call them that) that they are teaching in their programs certainly bend further in one direction than the other. I believe it's possible to remain neutral and leave things mentioned in this article to the parents to continue teaching to their children.

In light of this, viewers of this article may also want to read the following: http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=35758

10. John D

Bill, I used to think like you. Killing an unborn child is wrong, period. The original apostles made this clear in the first century AD. The Fifth Commandment forbids killing. Are you saying the Fifth Commandment is sometimes wrong? That would be what the Pope referred to as Relativism.

Are you aware that we have lost 48 million children since 1973? If you add on the children they would have had, we're down probably close to 100 million people. And we're wondering why we can't sustain our social programs like Social Security and Medicare. Like it or not, all of these things are connected. Google "low birth rates in Europe" and read about the consequences of abortion and contraceptives.

Women facing difficult decisions need love and support throughtout their pregnancy. Men have to step up to the plate and do their share. People have to be responsible. And, after all that, if the woman cannot take care of the child, there's waiting list of couples who want that child.

I pray you ponder these comments and have a change of heart.