Opinion: Why I Will No Longer Support Girl Scouts Comments

It's time for Catholics to carefully and prayerfully consider whether Girl Scouts still fits in the framework of authentically living our faith in the world. Continue Reading

1. Nancy Holling

OLD GIRL SCOUT HERE!!!!!!!
    In 1935, I attended Camp May Flather, in Mt. Solon, Virginia, and continued there, or as a G. S. Mariner, even after I was married, in 1948. Sailed the Chesapeake, did it all, for years. It will hurt not to buy cookies this year. What loathsome paths are our values taking, and why do we lead our youngsters away from God? The ultimate freedoms come from HIM, not the ACLU or progressive movements. I will surely encourage my children and grandchildren to avoid sending our young treasures to join Girl Scouts. It's quite a loss, for me.

2. Nadine

Girl Scouts is an organization just like any other. In order to survive, they need to appeal to the widest group of people possible. Thus, the watered-down belief system and embracing of left-leaning ideals. A lot of people on here say “the media should be reporting on this” but most of the world would not bat an eye at any of this. Have you seen some of the message boards on CNN.com? Very anti-Catholic. The world is not in line with the way people feel here. But Christianity is not always easy, just like Jesus said it would not be.

3. Bill

Jamie, why so mean-spirited?

4. Arthella

Ninek, I'm sorry but "Abortion is the ultimate violence against a woman"? What about a woman being forced into extreme intimacy with another person at considerable risk to both her physical and emotional health and then being forced into the role of mother that she may not even want. I fail to see how a woman who makes a decision to abort a pregnany is doing violence to herself, the foetus perhaps, but not herself.

5. Bulbajer

Allison, we're with you. Great job, it must be very hard.

6. ninek

Bill, no offense, but you ought to be glad your mother had an unyielding view on life. You are here to post comments because you survived your gestation. Girl Scouts can be as secular as they want, but people have a right to know how much the organization and its agenda has changed. One ought not to assume it's the same as when we were young. When I was researching the facts in this and other articles, I came across Planned P's international statements on violence against women. How ironic! Abortion is the ultimate violence against a woman.

7. Bulbajer

Jake, you are wrong in one point: Catholics can be "gay" and gays can be Catholic. It's the sexual act itself, not the orientation, that the Church has a problem with, I believe.
    For all the world of me, I can not guess what exactly was wrong with my previous comments. I guess I'll just have to let that stuff go.

8. Allison

I am a gay Catholic. I abstain from sex because my faith teaches me that it is sinful to act on my sexual feelings.

Jake, how dare you declare me "not Catholic"? Do you have any idea how long I have been abstaining, and how difficult it is?

I am a gay Catholic. For whatever Divine reason, God made me this way, and He also told me not to act on it, so I don't. But I also do not expect to be cast aside as if I don't exist, or don't count.

9. Marv

I'm glad to see a lot of non catholics are on this site. I pray that maybe some of them will see the light, and realize that God does exist, and Satan as well. In fact he is alive and well in the Girl Scouts.

10. Jamie Ward

Bill: Sarcasm: Look it up.