Opinion: Why I Will No Longer Support Girl Scouts Comments

It's time for Catholics to carefully and prayerfully consider whether Girl Scouts still fits in the framework of authentically living our faith in the world. Continue Reading

1. Nelly Rodriguez

Thank you so much for explaining us this issue with all this information. It will make a difference in the way we support Girl Scouts

2. Bulbajer

Laura, I agree.

3. Mark M

Im not worried about it. Seems like the author of this *opinion*, has toes the right-wing republican line on intolerance. I dont think that Catholic means I cant participate in secular organizations, so long as they are not clashing with my values. As for yoga - love it and so does my back. The environment is clearly reeling from our lack of stewardship, although I think reversibly if we start respecting Gods creation. Im not against women coming into the new millennium - Ive never thought the blatant sexism and objectification of women meant respecting the family. Also, Id like an organization (one of many character builders for my daughter) to have a worldly perspective. I love America and my daughter will too, but I dont think she needs to ignore the rest of the world, or be a timid little subservient creature in order to be Catholic. Women have amazing roles in the Church and Id like her to do more than I in understanding that. Cant keep her sheltered her whole life - at some point she will need to make these decisions.

4. david

I am very sad at what I read. But after doing alittle web searching I could not find anything realy at the web site. but I know they are not going to put anything that would upset people. I did find it alittle worrisome that one article about those journey books. Granted with out reading them I can not say for sure what they are about. One new one is called it's your planet love it. I worry it will be one sided about the subjects. I would rather the books teach young women to research and come up with thier own opinoins instead of telling them. One other thing I did not like about the points that the journey program listed as a reason for the books being good. here is a copy of the point. Girls become aware of women who have used their talents, skills, and abilities, including celebrity status, to take raise public awareness on issues such as discrimination and personal rights.
    I dont like how they use celebrity. I fear that young women will think that they have to be famous. The church teaches you help others cause Christ did. Not for fame or cause some famous actress did some thing good. I believe that most famous people do things so that they are seen. It is the ones that you find out they helped some where years after the fact that do it for the right reasons. I do fear that alot of these groups like the girl scouts can and are being used in the wrong way. but it is our job as parents to make sure our little girls are instilled with morales and faith and love not some group.

5. Laura

I've been following this story since it broke last week or whenever it was since I'm on the C-Fam mailing list too. I've really been praying about this situation and appreciate your concern regarding the controversy.

I have to tell you that I'm really not convinced that Girl Scouts had anything to do with the handing out of this brochure. The panel that Girl Scouts co-hosted was not related to sexual issues nor was Planned Parenthood a participant so I don't see that it makes sense that handouts related to sexuality would have even been a consideration. We need to keep in mind that this was a conference held by the UN with only this one panel being hosted by Girl Scouts and that literature could have been present at some sort of literature table that was placed there by someone affiliated with Planned Parenthood or who supported their agenda. There is a statement from Girl Scouts of the USA on the National Catholic Committee for Girl Scouts and Camp Fire at the link below. Please share this response with others you know who might be concerned about this controversy:

The above statement is consistent with everything I've been exposed to both as a Girl Scout growing up and since I've been a leader over the last few years. Girl Scouts requires council approval before any involvement in activities or discussions of a sensitive or controversial nature. A parental permission form is required and parental attendance is highly recommended for any time there will be a meeting related to any sensitive topics. "A girl should hear all sides of a question and be guided by her parents or guardian and her religious teachings before she makes a decision. Encourage the girls to see that each family has its own way of doing things based on family customs, religion, cultural background, lifestyles, and so on." "The Girl Scout organization does not take a position on family planning. Our membership is a cross-section of America with regard to opinions on religious and social issues and practices. We believe these matters are best decided by girls and their families."

The Girl Scout Promise is "to serve God and my country, to help people at all times and to live by the Girl Scout Law" so there has always been emphasis on serving God. I'm not sure if you realize just how many Catholic religious awards and patches can be earned by Girl Scouts. Religious awards are very highly valued in Scouting with the recognition (the pin or patch) for having earned them being among very few recognitions that can be worn on their uniforms throughout their entire Scouting career. At this time, Catholic Girl Scouts can earn the following awards or patches (some are for youth and some are for adults) which in my opinion really speaks to where Girl Scouts values really lie: "Guardian Angel," "Family of God," "I Live My Faith," "Mary, the First Disciple," "The Spirit Alive," "St. Elizabeth Ann Seton," "St. Anne," "Pray the Rosary," "Joyful Mysteries," "Luminous Mysteries," "Sorrowful Mysteries," "Glorious Mysteries," 13 different "Footsteps of American Saints" with 5 more in the works plus there are awards and patches that can be earned by Scouts of other faith expressions. Plus, there is a Divine Mercy Award that one troop created and some girls are earning : http://www.marian.org/divinemercy/story.php?NID=3409

We need to keep in mind that there are evil forces at work in our lives and that those forces will do whatever they can to destroy the positive influences that are available to our youth. Girl Scouting is a threat to those evil forces because it "strives to create girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place." I feel very strongly that this is one of those situations where Satan is doing his work through people who have their hearts in the right place by making it seem like they are doing the right thing. If we let him perpetuate doubt about Girl Scouts and people stop supporting their programs and pull their girls out of scouting, just think of the effect that will have on future generations of women.

I urge you all to check with your local diocese. Nearly all of them have a Catholic Committee on Scouting. If our Church leaders support the mission of Scouting then I feel comfortable being a Girl Scout leader and allowing my daughters to be Girl Scouts.

Oh, and to the person who was concerned that money from Girl Scout cookies might be going to support Planned Parenthood, please know that all proceeds from the cookies stay within the troops and the GS Council. Girl Scouts doesn't give money to other organizations in that way.

6. Dan

I'm definitely not an expert, but I assume Girl Scouts of America is a secular organization? Why would someone chose not to support an organization only on the basis of that organization not identifying itself with a particular religion and allowing it members to choose their own religion. This to me is pure intolerance and we live in a country where people are free to choose their own religion. This is silly.

7. Katie

This is sad news for anyone who grew up with girl scouts. I am wondering if there are any inter-faith christian camps out there for girls that promote christian values. That's what's needed. A new camp that can teach girls to stay strong in the midst of peer pressure through Jesus Christ, and teach them fundamental principals about who they really are--Women of God. We should all work together to form such an organization (if it doesn't already exist).

8. Dave W

Interesting article, however the, "feminist writer on Girl Scouts' board of directors best remembered for 1963 book, The Feminine Mystique..." was Betty Friedan, not Betty Friedman. A very thought proving article despite the shoddy editing.

9. Ben

The first lines of the GS oath:
    "On my honor, I will try:
    To serve God and my country"

10. Sandra

OK, I have to ask a silly question. Was the Girl Scouts a Catholic Program in the beginning? I was a girl scout for many years growing up and I did not realize all the changes that have been made.