Lenten Recipes and the Whys of ´Fish Eaters´ Comments

The fish was one of the most important Christian symbols of the early Church. In a political and religious climate often fatal to them, the fish was a secret symbol used to identify Christians. Continue Reading

1. Kim

I thought fasting and no meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays was a way of preparing for the Lord's rising again. I thought it had something to do with when Jesus fed thousands of people with 3 fish. I knew fish had some significance. But not exactly what. Thanks for sharing this with me.

2. medi

How wonderfully simple to understand the need to understand our the basis of our faith practices so we can live it!!

3. David

I remember that MacDonald's advertized the fillet-o-fish with a vicar (I took him to be Anglican) being asked why he was eating a burger of meat on a Friday, whereupon he points out it contains fish. Even in the 1980s the observance of lent had largely died out in Britain, and now people just try to give up something like they would do in New Year's resolutions.

4. Jim R.

Very good article!

5. Yolanda Hauke

Liked your information onf abstinence and fassting. My father was born in 1882 in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands (then Danish possession). His mother for abstinence, besides eating fish or turtle, the wouold not eat anyting from cattle or fowl, such as cheese, milk or eggs. I found this interesting. Thank you. Yolanda

6. CHRISTOPHER GAKEHMI

I am a Cameroonian and living in Yaounde I highly appreciate this article which helps us catholics leave our faith better. As mentioned, the practice varies from one Parish to the other. However the eseential is for one to master the body and maintain a high spritual mastery of the body and the self. Blessings and good luck as we move towards Easter.

7. sjng

Resisting the temptations of self & fasting does our body good . Fish is healthy diet with great significance.

8. Simdondo Obolle

What a wonderfull article this is. I am Kenyan born and brought up in a Catholic family. During my childhood, grandma would always insist on certain diet during the lentern season which I now understand better. I will share this with members of our Small Christian Community during our next weekly meeting. Keep up the good work. Obolle, Nairobi.

9. Simdondo Obolle