Called to Freedom: Dominican Nuns Image the Church on Oprah Winfrey Comments

The sisters were everything beautiful and truthful that the Church has to offer: they were Christ to Oprah and to a world in need of its meaning in Him. Continue Reading

1. B.

I never watch Oprah, but I caught this and stopped to watch. My husband left it on here. I was absolutely filled with admiration of the sisters. I have been for a long time considering converting and I have to say, this only brought me wanting to convert more. Good for you, sisters, and I have to say I'm proud of you! ..... not that it's going to make me start watching Oprah now, but I must say that it was good of her to present this in a good, not skewed, light.

2. Effie

As others have mentioned, I too stopped watching Oprah but had to watch this segment.

The joy shining from these women's faces was beautiful to see. And I have to admit, Oprah treated them with the respect they deserve.

And many thanks to Lisa Ling for her wonderful coverage.

Hopefully the segment will be re-televised for those who didn't get to watch it the first time.

3. AvantiBev

Sr. Lucille: The Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of Eucharist are NOT a contemplative order. They are indeed Order of Preachers and teach in Catholic schools from Phoenix to South Carolina. Many bishops have now requested that sisters be sent to their diocese.

4. Mike

TO: S.Lucille Socciarelli, RSM
    Sacrifice is the name of the game called Christianity. You don't have to feel the way you presented your case here. The human mind goes for that which is beautiful and joyous. If your congregation at some point decided to compete with those in the married life, by foregoing your habits/veils etc., there is no reason to want to have your cake when you have eaten it. Hope I am not sounding weird, but the people of faith are attracted to that which is sacrificial, after the model of our "grand sacrificial lamb". Our faith is all about sacrifice - and no doubt your current ministry do indeed contain some sacrificial element, but our vocation is a "sacrament" which is "an outward sign of an inward grace".
    Therefore, the human mind and soul goes out to that which is sacrificial in a sincere outward expression. currently, those religious men and women who have thrown away their habits do not have any young vocations attracted to them. On the contrary, those religious orders who still wear their habits have record vocations of young people and are admired by the people. That is the nature of the human mind and its appreciation of the "GOOD"
    Again, the candor, joy and uprightness (no political corretness) with which the Sisters interacted with Oprah,is what gets to the heart of the world that needs God so urgently - not the kind of value-free, sacredless "ministries", socially-acceptable philosophy that we see with many of those nuns and priests who have chosen to blend with the culture. Christ did not blend with the cultural evils of His time. He challenged those cultural vices and in a very non-politically correct way. He enjoined his disciples to continue to do the same. And we are his disciples. Thanks God for these nuns who understood the message. And thank you, Sister for whatever ministry you are engaged in, but we just have to appreciate those who have joyously taken the harder road for the sake of sanctification of the world.

5. Stephen Morris

Oprah said they called hundreds of convents across the nation looking for access for the show. These nuns said, "Yes, welcome" the others did not. So no complaining if Oprah didn't represent the other views of religious life. If sisters in the communities that don't live in convents and don't wear habits and don't have corporate identities want equal time - they should call Oprah and ask for it.

6. Michael Futschik

S.Lucille Socciarelli - while, as you state, Oprah did briefly mention your type of vocation lifestyle, she can only cover so much in a particular segment. Also, when the general public thinks about a nun or sister, they typically think of those who do wear habits (those who visibly stand out as different), so I think Oprah's focus on the Dominican Sisters of Mary was appropriate. Finally, you mention 'both' styles of the life... but aren't there more than just two. Wasn't the other briefly mentioned by Oprah that of a cloistered community? So you just committed the same oversight that you attributed to Oprah.

7. S.Lucille Socciarelli, RSM

I have been a Sister of Mercy,an Apostolic Order, for 56yrs. While Oprah's segment on the Dominican Sisters, a contemplative order, was informative, it did not give a total picture of religious life in the 21st. century. oprah did provide a very brief segment on us Sisters who do not no longer wear a habit; do not live in convents , like myself, who are working in service ministries and otherwise engaged in ministries put forth by Vatican II.
    I feel viewers of the Oprah Show would benefit from a complete understanding of religious life if both styles of the life were offered.

8. Nella

Today I heard a great homily at St. Vincent de Paul Seminary. After watching the Oprah show(the only time) because of the nuns being featured. The priest wisely compared oprah to the queen of Sheba going to king Solomon after hearing of his fame to test him with difficult questions about his wisdom and deep faith. I thought what a comparison;Hearing of the great love and faith that the nuns have, Oprah and Miss Ling had to go also and find out what the joy was all about.

9. Madeline Rice

I, too, have 'given up' Oprah because of her stand on so many issues and the power she wields, especially to influence politics, but I was thrilled with this segment on these beautiful, joyful witnesses to our glorious faith! Their answers to Oprah's incredulous questions were so perfect that they left her speechless several times. It might have never been her intention, but God used Harpo TV yesterday to spread the Good News!

10. Jones-inc

it's almost brought a tear to my eye to here that the "church of Oprha" has given such a beautiful testimony to these wonderful women and their loving devotion to God. What a refreshing change in today's world and wonderful message for today's women (and men!). Praise God indeed!