New Study Confirms Crisis in Catholic Higher Education Comments

'Catholics should be alarmed by the significant declines in Catholic practice and fidelity at many of America’s Catholic institutions.' Continue Reading

1. Nino Baldino

Gee,news from Georgetown yet.isnt this the college that booed the one great Cardinal when he condemned abortion ..off the stage. all of my children are college grads and the one who had the most 'catholic' education...high school then college..fordham universtiy..is the most pagan...this expose is like the various polls we see paraded under the stories of the day...'latest study from princton U states that 38% of those who eat alot have a tendency to gain weight!!!! dur....

2. Barbara Forshee

It can all be explained by the Rockefellers offering and the Catholic colleges(think Notre Dam,etrc.) accepting monies approximately back in the early sixties. Need more info? Become a member or check out the "New Oxford Review." If you're confused about moral issues, eg moral absolutes before Vatican II, and the popular "moral relativism" of today, NOR will enlighen you.

3. margaret

I'm wondering if anyone has checked out The Franciscan University of Steubenville in Ohio on current Catholic attitudes and prevailing conduct of young people?! One would definitely be encouraged to see the faith lived out on this campus!!

4. Bulbajer

To reply to paul and Tommy, it's not a good thing for the Catholic faith that more students attending Catholic schools are disagreeing with the church's teaching on homosexuality and abortion, but those two issues are not the center of Catholicism or Christianity in general (although abortion can be considered one of the most important in today's world). If more students are accepting the Catholic faith, then isn't that a good thing? I get your point about how being pro-choice and Catholic is pretty hard, if not impossible, but would you rather have more students turning away from the church because of those issues? Trying to enforce uniformity (rather than persuading it) never works in religion. I think the post-Vatican II style of teaching Catholicism to youths is very effective.

5. Dennis

The article and ensuing dicussions illustrate the power of mass culture on all of us, especially youth. For example, film and music powerfully shape attitudes and assumptions of reality. The steady diet of liberal and unorthodox (i.e., non-Christian)views through various media are challenging to overcome apart from God's grace and the Church's best efforts. Some seminaries, both Catholic nad Protestant are guilty as well. Ground youth (and adults)in Biblical orthodox teaching so they can critically assess what they hear every day from the culture.

6. Tommy

Cyril/Bulbajer,
    Having read the article, cant agree with either of you!

7. paul

I read the article "The Crisis that Isn't" on the Today NCR Blog, Feb. 4, 2010.

I have to say I disagree with this article. The fact remains that if you move away from the Catholic Church on something as important as abortion, I have a hard time comprehending how you can still be Catholic. First and foremost abortion is MURDER..the murder of your child. The difference is the child is a few months younger than when the mother gives birth. If you can kill an innocent child protected in its mothers womb you can do anything. I used to be pro choice when i was in college because thats what is pounded into your head by liberal media and colleges. I thought i was being progressive I mean "Choice" sounds like such a good thing. Then i woke up and realized that the choice to kill an innocent child is not mine to make and it's wrong!

So if you stand for that are you still Catholic?

Moving on to the second point. Students disagreed with the church's stance on same-sex marriage.

Ask yourself if homosexuality is so natural why can't 2 men or 2 women fit together naturally? I'll come back to that ...ask yourself why is there such a push to promote the homosexual agenda..it seems to be all over tv and the internet. The agenda is not simply homosexuality it is a perversion of sexuality in general...homosexuality is just the poster child of that perversion. Now a I saying that the people who do homosexual acts are evil ... absolutely NOT...you have to hate the sin but love the sinner. Just like stealing is wrong and immoral so is immoral sexual behavior..and "homosexuality"is immoral sexual behavior..but so is premarital sex...which i know many in college are guilty of...myself included...so think is it such a stretch for students living sexually immoral lives, and i lived in fraternity houses and dorms, to condone sexual immorality in others? I don't think so...SIN begets SIN

8. Bulbajer

Cyril, I read that article and I agree.

9. Cyril

The article I was referring to was "The Crisis that Isn't" on the Today NCR Blog, Feb. 4, 2010.

10. Cyril

I think that this article is misleading. I read another article which comments on the same report but has a different conclusion. The report that I am referring to is at "National Catholic Reporter," I hope that some of the readers of "Catholic Online" article will take the time to look at an article which presented another conclusion about Catholic Higher Education.