Opinion: Chris Matthews should be fired for his Offensive Interview of Bishop Tobin Comments

Matthews showed how inept he is as an interviewer, how misinformed he is as a Catholic, how rude he is as a person and how threatened he is by the Moral truth. Continue Reading

1. Dsulli

Matthews treated Bishop Tobin exactly the way he treats anyone who doesn't share his political viewpoint. That the bishop clearly was not prepared for the Matthews treatment is/was not Matthews' problem. Maybe this episode will serve as a wake-up call to our American Catholic bishops that liberalism - even when practiced by Catholics like Matthews - is not necessarily compatible with Catholicism.

2. Bulbajer

In response to the comparison to the Soviet Union, the USSR had no separation of church and state. The government actively repressed all religious activities.

3. Ryan

Looks like Chris needs to get a letter from the Bishop as well.

4. James

Actually MTS the First Amendment does not protect the government from religion, rather it protects religion from the government. (if you read Jefferson's letter in which he uses the phrase "separation of church and state" this becomes quite clear).
    As such, it is our duty as good Catholics to instill the government with moral values.

5. Ray S

I share your thoughts about the Matthews/Bishop Tobin interview. So much so that I had to communicate my thoughts with him through the Hard Ball website. I really don't believe that he has the courage to take any steps toward correcting the wrong he did to himself during the interview. One of the statements Matthews makes that iced the cake at the end of the interview was his comment to the fact that he "shares the values" of the Bishop, this statement is pure double talk. Totally unbelievable for anyone to understand how he could make this statement after advancing his agenda of Left Wing Liberal retoric at the foot of the cross via Bishop Tobin, a man of great faith and strong stature. May the Lord forgive Matthews' soul!

6. Francis Chambeland

Deacon Keith:

Well stated, I could not have said it better myself. Thank you for taking Chris Matthews and other so called "Catholics" to task and telling it like it is. I agree - fire Chris Matthews!

Thank you Bishop Tobin for setting the record straight with the so-called "Catholic" public servants who keep forgetting they are public servants and that they represent "Catholic" in public. No wonder Catholic who don't know their faith very well are confused, the public Catholics don't know their faith either but certainly act like they do. I won’t get into naming names but there are many Catholics in public service that, as Deacon Keith pointed out, need to take an RCIA refresher course.

God bless,

YBIC,

Frank

7. MTS

Once again I ask, if you don't think the First Amendment requires the separation of church and state (and Thomas Jefferson certainly thought it did), what do you think IS the correct relationship of church and state? And keep in mind, as I said before, that there are places in the country which are still reflexively anti-Catholic.

I've been asking that question for years of people who insist that separation of church and state isn't in the Constitution, and I've never got a coherent answer. Indeed, I've seldom gotten an answer at all.

8. Tom Phillips

What do you expect from Mr. Matthews? Remember his comments about Barack Obama, "I get a chill down my leg when he speaks."

9. Jean

It just so happens humbly I have a copy of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Everyone should have one.

AMENDMENT I

According to my friend Father Mitch Pacwa from EWTN and friend to us all: There is no such thing as separation of church or state unless you want to live under the Constitution of Soviet Union.

I would like to say peacefully that the Catholic Church is not politically interested in taking anyone's rights away. They interested in the unborn's rights as we all should be which is not religious in it basis.

Peace and MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL

10. Rose

Beth, the phrase "separation of Church and State" is not in the Constitution. Look into it.