Ave Maria University Receives Four Million Dollar Gift and Uncharitable Criticism Comments

Charity calls us to be charitable, beginning with one another. It calls us to love all men and women as the Lord does. Continue Reading

1. J.S.

I find it interesting that while Mr. Golisano has publicly support for legalized abortion and to my knowledge has never publicly repudiated that position; hearsay from a college president is adequate to justify a "Catholic" institution honoring him by naming part of its campus after him....

2. JamesD

"His long life reveals that he held some positions in the past which do not comport with those which he holds today." Are you deliberately trying to deceive? At issue: 1. Golisano is listed as the TOP DONOR, in 2009, for the Clinton Global Initiative which funds baby murders. 2. No one faults AMU for taking the money. The problem is that he is being HONORED.

3. js

I think that it is uncharitable of Dean Fournier to claim without evidence that Mr. Golisan is pro-life.

4. Thales

Deacon Fournier,

I've enjoyed your articles in the past, but I think that you've missed the nature of the objection to the Golisano donation. The objection is not to Ave Maria University receiving a donation from a pro-abortion supporter. The objection is to Ave Maria University honoring a pro-abortion supporter by naming a prominent building after him. As you know from the Notre Dame-Obama controversy, Catholic schools should be careful about who they bestow honors upon. Naming a building after someone is a significant honor to that person. I suppose that Mr. Golisano may have changed and may be currently worthy of such an honor, but his actions in past years in donating to prominent pro-abortion politicians don't support such an honor.

5. dennis

May I pass along a saying that I heard years ago?

"We tend to judge ourselves by our best intentions, but we tend to judge others by their last worst act."

I recall this quote often and reflect on it. It says a lot in a brief statement.

6. Building

But did Ave Maria U have to name a building after him?

7. K. Beringer

There are plenty of sources to document Mr. Golisano's millions given to Obama and NARAL-endorsed politicians. Respectfully, it should be asked why the Deacon chose not to cite them. I'm not advocating for lack of civility and charity. But Mr. Golisano, three-times divorced and dating a woman 30 years younger, is being honored by a Catholic university without any statement about his significant pro-choice political support.

Does someone who just gave $1 million to the DNC for Barack Obama's convention last year - without any apology - violate Ex Corde? Heck yes.

8. JDS

K. Beringer;
    Do you have a source for that information? Owning a business such as "Paychex" which serves many, many different businesses, I would bet that Mr. Golisano donates to many, many different causes/candidates. Even though I would never donate to a pro-choice candidate, I, being charitable as Deacon Keith advises, have no problem with someone else donating to whomever he pleases.

9. Steve

God gave us a gift of our whole lives and bodies. As we go to mass, are we not tabernacles of our Lord? It is our responsability to take care of ourselves - mind, body and soul. For those who have much, much is required. May God Bless those who hear the call and act on the Holy Spirit's prompting to follow through with our Catholic Christian obligations to use gifts that God has blessed us with to evangelize and further the Kingdom of God. We must pray for those whose own lives need the peace of Christ so that they may also live and affirm all those who need it most. Isn't it God's job to judge us when we finally reach Him in our death from this life? We should point out areas of weakness of our fellow humans as noted in the Bible. However, passing our judgment on others is not the way of God. I respectfully suggest that those who are passing their own judgment on others should go for the sacrament of reconciliation.

10. Andy Holland

"Lu:7:37: And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,
    Lu:7:38: And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
    Lu:7:39: Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.
    Lu:7:40: And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.
    Lu:7:41: There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
    Lu:7:42: And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
    Lu:7:43: Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.
    Lu:7:44: And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.
    Lu:7:45: Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
    Lu:7:46: My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.
    Lu:7:47: Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.
    Lu:7:48: And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven."