Ave Maria University Receives Four Million Dollar Gift and Uncharitable Criticism Comments

Charity calls us to be charitable, beginning with one another. It calls us to love all men and women as the Lord does. Continue Reading

1. Esther M Ferencz

I find comical relief and hillarity in the STUPIDNESS of some of our very own, I mean looking for the plank in anothers eye YET ignoring their very own. So typical of the so called catholic GROUPS and laypersons who genuinely lack any purpose in life other then to find fault with every move made by individuals such as Mr. Galosano and his most generous gift to AVE MARIA UNIVERSITY and his coversion to the pro life stance. BLESS THIS KIND MAN OH LORD!

2. Thales

The Cardinal Newman Society has just issued a statement raising concerns about AMU's honoring Golisano.

Is the Cardinal Newman Society one of those uncharitable critics that Deacon Fournier is talking about?

3. Veritas

In response to Nic Chavoso's post, would your cardinal have named a building "Lucifer" if he were to donate money to feed the poor? The issue is not the donation, but the honors bestowed upon the donor.

"Our late revered Archbishop of Manila, Jaime Cardinal Sin, once said, "I will accept money from the devil himself if that will enable me to help the poor and feed the hungry." So there you go! Kudos to Ave Maria University and thanks to Mr. Galisano. And God bless the pure of heart who tremble at His word. "

4. Vance

I applaud Mr. Golisano's philanthropy to higher education. I take Deacon Fournier's word that Golisano has made a positive conversion to Pro-Life. That being the case, I think a building named after him is in order. A strong Obama supporter is not going to donate money to a college like Ave Maria. The Pro-abortion killers would throw their money at universities that employ the Ward Churchill's of the world.

5. M C

I totally agree with Deacon Fournier! I, at one time was pro choice and am now very pro-life. I understand that people do change, learn and grow. What a generous gift.

6. Lourdes del-Calvo

Congratulations...to all, to this wonderful man, and to the president of Ave Maria University. When I first heard about Ave Maria, Fl....I said that's the place I would love to live. I am still praying and hoping to be able to live my last years there, I went before the opening and fell in loved w/it...If God leads me there I would like to give my time, volunteering at the Church and at the University...I would not be a burden...God Bless you all

7. SB

Thank you National Velvet for your comment. I still haven't figured out what the concerns of people with the Tom Golisano / Ave Maria happenings have to do with the issue of charity...They are pointing to what they believe to be a problematic way of acting on the part of Ave Maria. But no one has made clear why this criticism by itself amounts to being uncharitable! I must say - with all due respect, I'm very disappointed with Deacon Fournier's article. The problem isn't that he's wrong (though I think he is); the problem is that he completely misses the real issue at hand. He should have spent his time clearing TG's name, and giving evidence of TG's change of orientation.

8. National Velvet

As many comments above have reiterated: it is not the acceptance of the money that is at issue, but the honoring of TG that is at issue. Further, it is one thing for people to DISAGREE on whether or not TG should be honored; it is another thing to be DISHONEST about what is really going on. It is outright disingenuous to say that TG is pro-life - for if he were, he would never be involved in the Clinton Global Initiative. Investigate for yourselves: http://www.clintonfoundation.org/ Further, see http://news.muckety.com/2008/08/20/ny-republican-tom-golisano-gives-big-money-to-democratic-convention/4642, a report indicating TG's $1 million donation to the Democratic convention just over a year ago.

In short, at this point, the worst of it is the blatant denial of what is going on that is most problematic. One begins to feel that one is at the mad hatter's tea party...

Finally, anyone who objects to the situation is said to "lack charity", and to be judgmental" - a very manipulative move, to attack the motives, instead of addressing the arguments, of your opponent. For shame.

9. RG

I am pleased to see the call to treat an institution and its people with charity. Unfortunately, some supporters of Ave Maria have been uncharitable in comments questioning the Catholicity of other colleges and universities. Perhaps this episode may encourage a bit more humility now that the shoe is on the other foot.

10. Ave Law '07

Oh my goodness - are you kidding me? The criticism you've seen directed at Tom Monaghan/AMU/AMT is legitimate criticism based on the evidence available. Mr. Golisano has a public record of supporting the same politicians as NARAL. Ave Maria University named a building after him. That doesn't make you queasy?