Bishop Tobin to Congressman Patrick Kennedy: ´What does it mean to be a Catholic?´ Comments

Your rejection of the Church´s teaching on abortion falls into a different category it´s a deliberate and obstinate act of the will; a conscious decision that you´ve re-affirmed on many occasions. Continue Reading

1. Jim Devine

It is an Oxymoron Abortion Catholic Supports. It is time to start the excommunication of so-called Catholics and Abortion supporters holding public office.

Homosexuals in the priesthood have infiltrated the church along with abortion supporters.
    Neither have a place in the Catholic Church and are causing scandal.
    Both the Bishops and Pope need to address this issue ASAP!

2. Bin

Dear Pat,

While I can try to understand your view, I think you've totally mistaken the concept of Christianity (especially Catholicism).

Catholicism is not something that you're a part of, if you go for Holy Mass on Sundays, thats only one physical aspect of it.

Catholicism is a life-style. That should be pervading your life and activities. For instance, you would like to go to a strip bar, but that is considered as a sin, so should you? Most certainly not. But if you do and still claim to be Catholic (a faithful one), you'd only be fooling yourself.

Similarly, the view that personally you object to abortion, but don't mind it politically, let me ask you, why do you personally object abortion?

Is it because Catholic Church opposes it? Then have you taken time to find out why the Catholic Church opposes it? Please do take time.

If you oppose abortion because you believe that it is killing an unborn child, then I cannot comprehend how you could not oppose it politically! For instance, you are against rape personally, but would you be silent, if tomorrow there would be a law, that permits rape (for whatever reason)? You shouldn't be.

This 'personally-opposed-not politically-opposed', is based on a fallicy, and not Catholic can apply that for abortion.

Make the brave choice Pat, if you sincerely oppose abortion personally, I don't think you would support / not-oppose it politically. Afterall, when the Constitution calls on its Citizens to vote for their representative, its not asking the Citizens to leave behind their beliefs, rather to make your choice based on your beliefs. A Nation is founded on beliefs and if that belief system is questioned or undermined, then that Nation will not stand for long.

GOD Bless!

3. Dan

Pat,
    The Church has repeatedly taught that it is not acceptable to be personally pro-life but politically pro-choice, so it if that's Patrick Kennedy's position, the good Bishop was right to correct him. That position can be likened to a man saying, "Well I don't believe in slavery, but I'm not going to tell others they can't own slaves" or "I don't believe in genocide, but let Nazi Germany do as it pleases." When people, born or pre-born are oppressed, we have a solemn duty under God to help them. It's not enough that we don't take part in the oppression. We need to make it stop.

4. Mark Skog

God bless you Bishop Tobin!!!

Thank you for defending us!!!

This is a very very proud day for me in my Catholic life.

More bishops should stand up to con-men Kennedy.

I will pray tonight for all Bishops to be blessed with your courage.

5. Gloria H. Ramirez

God Bless Bishop Tobin,
    Thank God for Holy Mother Church and brave Bishop Thomas.
    100 years from now, before GOD, what WILL matter is what was morally correct NOT what was "politically" acceptable to gain people's respect.

6. Pat

I believe that one can have a personal religious belief that is not consistent with their political beliefs. I am vehemently opposed to abortion personally, but not politically. Can this not be the case for Patrick. I believe the church has the right to direct me and my soul, but not the rest of the country.

7. Peter Beaulieu

The late President Kennedy announced that his religion would not affect his actions as President. The now oh-so-contemporary Congressman Kennedy announces that his actions in Congress do not affect his status as a Catholic. The political art of "the double-half-step".

8. WR Kennedy

I'm trying to understand your reference to Bart Stupak as a faithful Catholic Democrat. In the context of "What does it mean to be a Catholic", it seems narrow or presumptuous to promote this gentleman, who votes for the death penalty and against health care and schools, to be our model of a Catholic politician. Set your sights higher in keeping with Catholic political thought.

9. Bill

RETURN TO CATHOLIC TRADITION!!!
    The Tridentine mass commands in and of itself adhereance to Catholic teachings and leaves no room for ambiguous interpretation of what church law is...

10. Wendy

I do believe that the letter was not only intended for Mr. Kennedy but was also intended for all others who have publicly drawn away from the authority of the Catholic Church. I applaud the Bishop!