Bishop Tobin to Congressman Patrick Kennedy: ´What does it mean to be a Catholic?´ Comments

Your rejection of the Church´s teaching on abortion falls into a different category – it´s a deliberate and obstinate act of the will; a conscious decision that you´ve re-affirmed on many occasions. Continue Reading

1. Jason M.

Bishop Tobin, you're awesome!

2. janan senawi

thank you bishop for your courgous approach to tackle this issue publicaly. we have to clarify the catholic belief and stick with it . There are those who are catholics by name and those who are catholics by practice , and the difference is grave. I pray that the kennedy senator will be open to understand the difference ,and may the holy spirit lead him to do what is good.

3. Gail Sleeman

Thank you Bishop Tobin.

4. Meredith H.

Great letter, Bishop Tobin, and, great teaching. The Congressman should refrain from receiving Holy Eucharist until he resolves this mistaken belief he is perpetuating. The Sacrament of Penance is such a beautiful gift. I sometimes wonder when I see hundreds of people receive Holy Eucharist on Sunday if hundreds of people received the Sacrament of Penance, also?

5. Billy Atwell

Deacon,

This is a wonderful article. Thank you so much for it. I find it shameful that people claim to be Catholic and yet reflect none of the faith in their own lives.

The discussion between the Bishop and Kennedy must be public. It sends a sign to the public that the Catholic faith is not democratic and that public dissent will not be tolerated. With Pelosi, Reid, and Kennedy claiming the Catholic faith as their own, the public must be informed of what the Church is REALLY about.

Thank you for this resource and your thoughts!

Billy Atwell

6. Nancy

Thank you, Bishop Tobin, for your courageous faith and discernment for exposing this hypocrisy and educating all Catholics.

7. hazel

it's common sense,when is killing acceptable in catholic faith? no need to discuss.

8. Jean

Pat

Its already been said by the church that abortion is not just an issue for religious people it affects all people whether we like it or not.

Im not being uncharitable toward you but its already been stated we cannot in any way shape or form be for abortion at all.

If you get the chance go over to Priests for Life. Excellent website and informative.

I too was close to your belief until I educated myself on both sides of the issue--pro-choice and pro-life.

I weighed the actions and pro-choice for abortion does nothing for society. It may have already been a detriment to our society since 1973.

On a creative and commonsense way we dont know what promise these 50,000,000 children would have shown for our future or the future of all children in the womb in the future. Or all the children of the world who have been aborted.

Everyone counts Im afraid. The Lord knew us even before we were thought of in the womb.

I have the greatest respect for we women of faith. I also have the greatest respect that women have full rights in and outside of the church. We women may not have historically been treated always with equality but I believe we have it today.

I believe our Lord gave us our equality when He told the women who was to be stoned, "Go and sin no more." To me that was women's liberation that day. To obey, love and serve the Lord as He intends for us.

The only exception I have is that I do not think abortion is wise for any society.

If it is then no person today is considered worthy of life at all.

This is the other alternative. The sad thing is we have come down to rationing who lives and who dies in this world. For what?

There has to be a better way and I hope we resolve it and find it.

I happen to agree with John Paul II on the dignity of women.

Mother Anglica never had or has had any qualms about women being lawyers and doctors or whatever a women wants to be in life.

I have to agree with the Church on this heart wrenching decision: "THEY DO NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO MAKE PRIESTS."

THEY CANNOt DISOBEY WHAT THEY DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE AND THE FACT THAT NO PROVISION WAS MADE BY OUR LORD. I DONT BELIEVE THEY MONOPOLIZE THIS. I BELIEVE THAT OUR LORD REALLY NEVER MADE A PROVISION FOR THIS AND I FOR ONE WILL ABIDE BY THIS UNTIL HE COMES A SECOND TIME. END OF STORY SORRY.

THIS MAKES PERFECT SENSE. IT HAS NO BEARING ON A WOMEN AND HER RIGHTS.

Im sorry that other denominations do not see it this way but I intend to uphold it as a FREE and DIGNIFIED WOMEN OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH WITH FULL RIGHTS EVEN WITH MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF THE CHURCH.

NOTHING LESS NOTHING MORE.

THIS IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN A FEMINISTS ISSUE. SO LETS DROP THIS LAME DUCK.

IM SORRY BUT MARY MAGDELENE WAS NOT MADE AN APOSTLE AS MUCH AS SOME WOMEN WANT TO BELIEVE THIS.

SHE WAS GIVEN THE SAME DIGNITY THAT WE HAVE ALL BEEN GIVEN IN THE CHURCH. EQUAL BALANCE BEFORE THE LORD.

SUPPORT YOUR BISHOPS AND PRIESTS AND ALL RELIGIOUS BOTH MALE AND FEMALE IN PRAYER IF NOTHING ELSE.

ITS THE YEAR OF THE PRIESTS AND I FOR ONE AM GRATEFUL TO THE ONES WE HAVE IN MY AREA.

TO MY BISHOP WHO I SUPPORT 100 PERCENT.

TO TIMOTHY DOLAN WHO IS PART OF MY STATE IM PROUD HE IS EVERYONE'S ARCHBISHOP EVEN IN THE WHOLE OF NEW YORK STATE.

WE CLAIM HIM TO BE OUR OWN AS WE WOULD ANY OF THE BISHOPS ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY WHO STOP IN OUR WAY HERE IN NEW YORK STATE.

BLESSED MOTHER LOOK OUT FOR ALL OF US.

9. Bob

Pat,

If you think that it is acceptable to have abortion as the law of the land, then you're not really personally opposed to it. You are just lying to yourself. Perhaps you've fooled yourself and really believe that having it both ways is actually possible. God, however, is not fooled by such nonsense. We will all stand before God and get an accounting of our voting records. We will have to answer, especially as Catholic Christians, for not forming our consciences properly and voting accordingly.

10. Chip

While I appreciate the comments to Congressman Kennedy I wonder...where were these questions to Sen. Ted Kennedy? Sen. Kennedy made legalizing and protecting legalized abortion one of the priorities of his life...and yet he was buried with a Mass and a heroes departure in the Cathedral. When all is said and done I fear that all Congressman Kennedy has to do is write a big fat check to the Parish of his choosing and he will also be welcomed as the prodigal son. I hope this is not the case but history does not leave me optimistic.