Good Catholics Should Not be Masons Comments

Fr Ashley Beck says the Church teaches clearly that Freemasonry and Catholicism are incompatible. Continue Reading

1. Augustine

Thank you Fr. Beck for this wonderful article. I hope to read your book some time when I can get it. I fully agree with all you say and it is a very important topic for all to be conscious of, that as Christians and Catholics, should not be a Mason for any reason. It is interesting to know that there are groups of Anglicans who are Masons which adds to my reluctance to be immediately accepting when Anglicans are received into the Roman Catholic Church. As we know those who are masons can be very deceiving. I think it is always wise to remain with discerning spirits and to know what is of God and not of God, and to do so without blinders. Thankyou and God Bless You,

2. Jean

Martha

See Jean's post below.

He has a website to.

Anyone else might want to read this book too. I havent read it but I saw him interviewed on Masonry.

3. Martha

Any ideas on how to help my brother come to grips with this? He is a cradle non-practicing Catholic, a rebel, a MASON now, who is a thinker and a really good person with a heart like a big marshmallow who thinks he's doing right. He's 53, and did I mention, he's a REBEL! I love him, please any advice?

4. Curious Maria

Aren't Freemasons like Shriners? What's the big deal?

5. Jean

Read John Salza's book on masonry.

6. Jean

RCM and Bulbajer

I think you should read about former Catholic and a Lawyer who served in the Masonic Lodge--John Salza's book.

"Why Catholics Cant be Mason's."

and "Masonry Unmasked: An Insider Reveals the Secrets of the Lodge"

7. tebogo augustine seinolo

daily readings help me a lot because i'm not at home because i am looking for employment so i don't have a bible with me.

8. Bulbajer

RCM, I agreed with you up until the part about "leftist/Marxists." Contrary to popular belief, there are many different branches of Communism and Marxism, each more or less extreme than the other. And certainly the Labour and Democratic parties are not Marxist; they're not even leftist! The Democratic Party is center-left (although not all individual party members are center-left) and the Labour party has moved recently from left to center-left.
    TB, I agree 100%.

9. RCM

"...the prayers in its rituals specifically exclude reference to Our Lord. They are often prayers of Christian origin which have been vandalised."

How is this supposed to be different from prayers made in other group where people are of different faiths? Should Catholic children not belong to Boy Scouts because they engage in non-denominational prayer? The US Congress opens its sessions with a non-denominational prayer offered by the House chaplain -- should Catholics not serve in US Congress, lest they be forced to pray non-denominationally with non-Catholics? That's just silly.

"...the oaths required in the initiation rites require the new Mason to promise to keep secret the organisation's rituals..."

And? Does the Church allege that the keeping of secrets is wrong? Or does she suggest that, before committing to keeping a secret, someone must be told what the secret is FIRST, and then make up their mind about keeping it?

Father, don't you have an obligation to keep secret what is heard in the confessional? How can you make such a promise without knowing what you will hear? See how absurd that sounds?

All in all, the Catholic Church is far more anti-Masonic than Freemasonry is anti-Catholic.

I find it far more disturbing that the Church sticks her neck out on this while not condemning membership in the Ku Klux Klan, for example, which does welcome Catholics in its modern incarnation, or membership in leftist/Marxist political parties like Labour in the UK and the Democrats in the US.

10. Terry Brennan

There are lots of different Masons just like there are lots of different Catholics. Some of the Masons would put the the average Catholic to shame with their selfless imitation of Christ, and some, sadly, are bigots and very proud of it.

TB