Special Report: Five Myths about the Pope’s Anglican Ordinariates Comments

As a former Anglican priest myself, I am profoundly grateful for our Holy Father’s generous proposal toward Anglicans, 'that they all might be one' Continue Reading

1. Jean

THANKS TERRY C. ALSO SUPPORT YOUR PRIESTS SINCE THIS IS YEAR OF THE PRIESTS.

SUPPORT THEM EVEN IF IT ISNT THE YEAR OF THE PRIESTS IN THEIR MINISTRY AND DISCIPLINE THEY SACRIFICED FOR THE KINGDOM.

ASK OUR BLESSED MOTHER TO ASK HER SON TO WATCH OVER THEM ALL UNTIL THE END OF TIME.

AMEN. PEACE.

2. TerryC

I am also not a canon lawyer but as a catechist will try to take a whack at the celibacy question. First celibacy is a discipline which is practiced by priests of the Roman Rite, of some of the priests of other rites and of bishops of all rites in the Catholic Church. Celibacy is not a dogma or a necessity for priesthood. It is a discipline.
    As a discipline it has many benefits, both spiritual and practical. At its most basic level it does not require a defense. It is a practice of the Church with its origins firmly in the traditions of the Church.
    Most Eastern rites, as well as the Orthodox Churches allow married men to be ordained to the priesthood. None allow married men to be raised to the episcopate. None allow unmarried ordained men to marry.
    This is not about fairness. It does not have to be defended based upon secular perceptions of social justice. It is a discipline of the Church, and is firmly rooted in canon law as well as Tradition.

3. Stephanie

I can understand why the Pope appreciates the "music" the Anglican Church provides. And I believe the music is highly important part of celebration of the Mass. Most definitely I would love to see the "Hymns" which the Anglicans would bring along added to the Roman Catholic Church. But I leave the rest up to God and pray we don't get into a confusion with issues. Even though the Roman Catholic Church does not have women priests, I wonder what the Pope says the role will be of Anglican women Priests. I am Roman Catholic but I have read the book of common prayer and found the organization of the Psalms a very helpful way of reading through all of the Psalms within an entire month. I learned from only one Anglican Priest who has a deep understanding and appreciation of the Roman Catholic Church and gave me a book of prayers by St. Augustine. It is a treasure.

4. Theresa F.

I say, God bless the Pope for doing his job and gathering the sheep, but as it was pointed out, only when they approached him first. I think it is great! I believe this isn't the first time. I believe in the late '70's the pastor and a whole congregation all joined the church in S.C.

5. Robert Onyeneke

The issue of admitting Anglicans into the Catholic Church has become the headlines of many Newspapers in the World today.Catholic Priests are meant not to marry, so if Anglicans really accept their readmission in the Mother Church (Catholic Church), their priests should be among the laity in the Catholic Church. Their priests should not be allowed to celebrate the Mass. This is my sincere suggestion. Let the Holy Father consider this properly before indulging in it.

6. lori

I'm an anglican christian who wants to know how and when I can sign up asap! I have been overjoyed since this announcement and can't wait to pray the Holy Rosary in church and have my confession heard!

7. Andy Bowdler

As has been pointed out already, there is no such Anglican grouping as 'Broad Church' in the sense that Taylor Marshall suggests. The fact that the Anglican Church includes High, Evangelical and Liberal believers under its umbrella means that it is a Broad Church in and of itself (ie: all 3 elements are part of the Broad Churchmanship that is Anglican Christianity).

8. Tommy McGlothlin

For the record, your history of the Anglican Church is entirely wrong. Yes, Gregory sent Augustine to England, and was absolutely astonished to find the church there, where it had been since the Roman occupation. Secondly, it was Elizabeth that founded the Anglican Church with the Act of Uniformity, and it had nothing at all to do with her father's divorce. Finally, the Low and High Church camps of Anglicanism are NOT the conservative camps in the Communion. There are liberal Anglo-Catholics (High Church) and liberal Low Churchmen, and vice versa....and liberal and conservative Broad Churchmen. You can't categorize High Church, Low Church, and Broad Church into the Conservative-Liberal Dichotomy. The High, Low, and Broad camps of the Church are theological and liturgical distinctions, not political. Before trying to teach your flock about Anglicanism, learn the history and the demographics of the subject.

9. Herrick

I'm no expert but if Anglicans want to become Catholics wouldn't they need to accept that Anglican orders are null and void? I get the impression that "AngloCatholics" who are contemplating the move to Rome are still celebrating "Mass" which seems to suggest they believe their orders are valid after. Do they not accept the decisions of Pope Leo XIII?

10. Kathleen Schumann

I have enjoyed the articles on the Pope and the Anglican Church. It will be a blessing as it works. My father when stationed in England absently went to mass in an Anglican Church and did not realize the difference until the communion. He said he felt foolish but our priest told him not to feel that way because he felt in every way that he had entered a Catholic church at the time. It happened to be a High Anglican Church he found out later, which made him not see the difference right away. Love your articles.