Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Succumbs to Heresy Comments

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America abandons orthodox Christian faith and practice by a 'majority vote.' Continue Reading

1. carl a skeptic

Thank you Jean for your reply. Your calm and grace-full approach to these difficult issues does not go unnoticed. I catch myself looking for "Jean's comments". I, on the other hand, frequently imagine myself hearing "get thee behind me Satan", after I've posted a comment. This world just seems so increasingly upside down I just wanna....cut somebody's ear off! lol Thanks again Jean. God Bless You

2. Steven Spears

Yeah, I agree, the Lutheran church succumbed to heresy when it was created. The title of this article is a bit naive.

3. Jean

Thanks Carl many of us have brought this up in Romans.
    You miss nothing. Your right on the money.
    The only thing I want to know is how the other denominations are going to explain this passage away also.
    How do you think its interpreted now?
    God mean one thing and its quite obvious by the passage.

Anyone interested check out the Courage Apostolate. Its very interesting and helpful in understanding whats going on today.

4. carl a skeptic

Regarding the lutheran "sola scriptura", what about Romans 1 18-32 ? Why has nobody mentioned this? What am I missing?

5. carl a skeptic

AMEN Harold...AMEN Deacon

6. Liz Kayne

Susan Russell is an "ordained" (Episcopalian) priest; she is President of the gay-lesbian, etc., etc., group "Integrity" also of the Episcopal Church (and quite controversial - check out founder Louie Crew on google) and I also believe Ms. Russell is a lesbian. Take her comments for what they are worth. She is a strong supporter of Bishop Vicky Gene "I always wanted to be a June bride" Robinson. She is quite confused.

7. Emma

The Lutheran Church was born out of heresy but now that the Roman Catholic has become ecumenical we have forgotten that. They are not in union with Rome so they will continue their slide into "heresy". The Catholic Church is not considered "tolerant" in it's stand on abortion, mercy killing, homosexual unions, war, capital punishment, et al. They will always give us an example of what happens when you lack a spiritual head like the Holy Father.

8. Harold Olsen

Is this really news? Didn't the founder of the Lutheran religion Martin Luther break with the Catholic church because he disagreed with them and their teachings. It seems that the Lutheran religion is one that follows the scriptures and Christian teachings ONLY if they feel like it. If they don't, well, they take a vote. That is not Christianity. Either you follow God's teaching or you don't. It's not up for a vote. It's why I've never considered Lutherans to be Christians. At least, not true Christians.

9. M Baker

I think the present article presents a rather naÔve view of history and a somewhat distorted idea of heresy. Christianity was indeed part of a tremendous cultural shift in late antiquity, but it is arguable whether it was the source of the shift or a complement of it. What cannot be argued with, is the truth of the Apostolic witness to the resurrection of O.L.J.C and how the holy deaths of the martyrs opened the heart of the society to the Christian Church. So when we speak about orthodoxy versus heresy I think we have to be very clear that orthodoxy defends the core of Christian belief: the Incarnation, Passion and Resurrection of Christ, against distortions. Heresy is precisely that, a distortion of the central mysteries of our faith. Orthodoxy is NOT 'family values', nor is it any kind of ideology. Any heterodox believer or even atheist can share family values, but only a believer can know the new life brought by baptism into Christ, a life that the world will never understand and a life worth dying for if necessary.

There have been various world-views associated with Christianity but the glory of the Catholic faith is that it leads to true human flourishing in eternity. Since Christ, there has always been a choice to walk as children of the light or to follow the world. No world-view, even the most 'orthodox' family values, can be raised to the level of that choice. It is spiritually very dangerous indeed to mistake an ideology for faith.

10. Fr. Miguel Grave de Peralta

Didn't the Lutherans slide into heresy and become schismatic over 500 years ago? What's the news here? The logical conclusion of Protestantism is the "elevation" of a "magisterium of one" or as I prefer it expressed, the ancient/modern Unholy Trinity of "I-Me-Mine".