Catholic League: Penn and Teller Must Go Comments

CBS/Showtime needs to send Penn & Teller a message and let them know that they have crossed the line for the last time. Continue Reading

1. Jean

Interesting:

Matthew 5: 10-12

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdon of heaven.

Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you [falsely} because of me.

Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persected the prophets who were before you.

Yes, this we should do but keep in mind folks we dont have to be doormats either.

2. Mr.Frank

i don't know who's the one with the pen and who's the teller.. But I do take offense to their unprovoked attack against the Church.

3. MsMentor

There's a difference between advocating censorship, per se, and objecting to any organization offering a platform over major media airwaves to what basically amounts to hate speech.

If the homosexual community were being skewered in this way, there would be a major media outcry. We'd all be expected to apologize, do penance, and go to sensitivity (brainwashing) classes! If Islam were being abused, belittled, and ridiculed in this fashion, the producers of the show--not to mention Penn and Teller themselves--would be getting death threats, and yes, that would be BEFORE anyone saw a minute of it. Have we forgotten so soon what happened to Salmon Rushdie when THE SATANIC VERSES wasn't even published yet? How many years did he literally have to be in hiding? And yet the Catholic Church and its members are expected to take assault after assault of this kind of garbage, time after time after time, and say NOTHING?

SINCE WHEN?

Of course it's about censorship...just not the kind a selective "First Amendment" fan wants to hear about!

Yet another reason I'm glad I don't bother with the so-called "premium" services on my cable menu...and never will.

4. Marcos

I agree with both points of view. That is why I take responsibility for my Family and don't even subscribe to Showtime.

5. Terry

George, why do I think you would have a different opinion if it were Muslims or homosexuals who were being bashed? Freedom of speech is not a license spread any kind of hate or filth. The fact is that discrimination against Catholics is the last "acceptable" form of discrimination.

6. George Combs II

I'm a Catholic who believes that Penn and Teller have, on occasion, raised valid points on a number of subjects.

I'm not a fan of Penn Jillette's frequent use of coarse language and I disagree profoundly with their atheism, which I am surprised the article does not mention.

Mr. Donohue is complaining about a show he's yet to see. I would remind him that our Lord took a severe beating and was nailed to a cross and died a long, agonizing death and He responded with love and forgiveness.

I've taken a few barbs about being a Catholic and converting to Catholicism earlier this year.

Thankfully our Lord provided us with a wonderful example of how to respond to those who treat us badly.

In a documentary about "The Passion of the Christ," Bill Donohue of the Catholic League complained about people wanting to censor the film and stated and I quote: "the people who say they are anti-censorship are, in fact, the biggest promoters of censorship" end quote.

And this is what I believe we are dealing with: advocating censorship. Mr. Donohue, it doesn't matter if you agree with it or disagree with it or even think you might disagree with it. Free speech is really about protecting largely unpopular speech.

There's several buttons on the average television remote. One changes channels this way, one changes channels the other way, and there's also one which turns the television off. It's my decision which one to press.

7. Bulbajer

I agree. Freedom of speech does indeed exist; these men have a right to think and say whatever they want about Catholics. However, if CBS has any dignity and wants to keep a hold on all its Catholic watchers, it had better do the right thing.

8. Jean

Freedom of speech is fine so is Freedom of religion.

When you tell bald face lies then you have a problem.

When you are practicing the very thing--bigotry that the Catholic Church has endured throughout American History.

Yes I would say we have the right to ask whether this is Freedom of Speech or untruth/libel.

We dont have to keep quiet. We have a right to defend ourselves from these untruths peacefully.

I commend Bill Donohue for this.

I hope he gets his point acrossed to Penn and Teller.

I doubt they even can scratch the surface on the understanding of Catholicism.

Its quite obvious they are ignorant about what they are talking about.

9. Laura Wells

There is something very disturbing in the American psyche that finds Penn and Teller entertaining in their open and offensive bigotry. Those who watch such progamming suffer from the same blindness to evil as those who produce this program.

10. Bill

Freedom of speech is important. It is right next to freedom of religion. If you lose one, you lose the other.