Sic Transit Gloria: Good Bye Notre Dame Comments

This latest scandal cannot be seen as an isolated incident, to be lamented and then forgotten when football season starts. Continue Reading

1. Helen Reilly

I share Michael McIntire's dismay at what has happened to Notre Dame. I think he's right in saying that the university will never come back to its Catholic roots. I don't see how it can; it's strayed so far. Perhps the Pope could turn it around; but I don't think that will hapopen. Our son graduated from Notre Dame, and we were all so proud to be part of the Notre DAme family. We loved the university. I always hoped to go back someday to vsit the beautiful campus again. Now I wouldn't want to. I've put away anything that we had on display connected to the school. I won't wear sweatshirts or T-shirts bearing the Notre Dame logo. The school is a disgrace. I have a personal resentment over what has happened; I feel the school betrayed my son, who has true Catholic values and who thought the school did, too.

2. John

Bill Purcell, your kind are typical. You assume I voted for Obama when the fact is, I didn't. I'm tired of members of the church taking exception when it suits their political needs. There isn't a lot you could debate about my post obviously, so you take a shot at my politics, ignorantly at that. Again, that's become typical.

3. Barbara Huet de Guerville

I ran across a phot essay online by a young woman who praised the wonderfulness of the French Revolution as having led to all kinds of political and cultural revolutions all over Europe.

Apparently she wasn't taught that in 1793 Notre Dame de Paris was sacked and turned into a Temple of Reason! It narrowly missed total destruction in the 19th. The French government owns the edifice now and "lets" Catholics use it!

Apparently the suppression of religious freedom that occurred at that time, and which the French Roman Catholic has suffered from periodically since then, didn't bother this ND student.

In inviting Obama Fr. Jenkins publcized what faithful Catholic alums had known for a long time - the Magisterium is held in contempt.

Pray to Our Lady for conversion.

4. CHAYNES

Would Notre Dame honor the President if he supported legalized child rape. Of course not.

It appears that Notre Dame thinks that abortion is not murder, which is worse even than rape.

5. Mary Warren

Although the author avoids saying who the president of Notre Dame was at the time of Rockefeller III's and Planned Parenthood's visits it needs to be said aloud. It was Father Theodore M. Hesburgh.

6. Joseph

Until we re-embrace the Church Militant, as part of the hermeneutic of continuity, re-embrace our traditions, rituals and rites, with gusto and pride, re-embrace Mother Church's historic mission of spiritual warfare with the powers and potentates of this world, we will get nowhere.

7. Joseph

8. Tim Foley

I do not believe in the death penality or abortion but have some common sense respect women the church does not never has
    read this
    tell me what you think!

9. Joni Carter

Thank you, Professor McIntire, for this enlightening article. The Notre Dame scandal is a wake-up call for all of us who seek to live out the Catholic faith in an increasingly hostile, anti-Catholic society. I'm torn between my sentiment that Notre Dame is unworthy of their name, and my hope for the future because of those faithful Catholics in the ND faculty, staff and student body who courageously spoke out as prophets for God's truth. I've read all the other comments posted, and here's my bottom line for some of you: WAKE UP! Notre Dame's arrest of peaceful Catholic protesters is just the latest "sign of the times" that American society is not so much anti-religious as it is specifically anti-Catholic. The fact that a priest was arrested for peaceful public prayer at a "Catholic" university will haunt me for a long time. And it should haunt all of us, regardless of our political or religious views.

10. Rose