Fr. Alberto Cutie Renounces his Catholic Faith and becomes an Episcopalian Comments

'This is truly a setback for ecumenical relations and cooperation between us' said the Archbishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Miami Continue Reading

1. PKfH

The Episcopal Church recognizes the validity of Roman Catholic orders. I do not understand why an ordination as an Episcopal priest is necessary.

2. Kay Carlson

Priesthood celibacy in the Church promotes an ideal that may be beautiful to some but seems an unattainable burden to others. Some say there is no difference in breaking vows of celibacy from forms of fornication. I think there is wisdom in separating fornication from realistic physical desire. Please read Corinthians 1, Chapter 7, particularly these verses by Paul:

7 Indeed, I wish everyone to be as I am, but each has a particular gift from God, one of one kind and one of another. 8 Now to the unmarried and to widows, I say: it is a good thing for them to remain as they are, as I do, 9 but if they cannot exercise self-control they should marry, for it is better to marry than to be on fire.

(from the USCCB NAB Bible page):

I have not found anything that excludes priests from this standard. If God does not give a gift, as stated in verse 7, who is man to impose it?

3. ISOF

to change from one church to another should not be done on a whim or let alone under these circumstances...the bishop should have had more discerment and prudence. All this seems tawdry. How sad ...what bad taste...all of this reaks of sacandel not of Gospel faith....

4. D

This is not just a cute little love story of how much a man loves a woman....this is a fight for his moral soul!

5. tmac

I wonder if the hierarchy of the Episcopal Church feels that it is also a setback for ecumenical relations and cooperation between us when the Catholic Church allows Episcopal priests who convert to Catholicism to practice their ministry as Catholic Priests?

6. D

I believe the reason he is not making sense and taking such drastic action is because he has a deeper sin to hide. One that he is hiding. This is so typcial as I see this everyday at work. He is now one of us dealing with the world; his, a world outside the Catholic Church. This is far from over. We are told only what the media wants and I am sure they will not stop hounding him...this is far from over. He might leave the Episcopal Church. Eventually, he will stop running out of places to hide. Best to run (not walk) back to the Catholic Church. He is not fooling everyone. So, if this is not making any sense to Catholics; better believe there is an underlying false sense of truth running deeper than we know. He is a priest in my mind and needs to return to his promises. I hope and pray that he will see this.

7. Laurence

Fr. Cutie was leading a double life until he was found out. He renounced his Catholic Faith, though secretly, ever since he started his immoral relationship with that woman. Now that he's been found out, he renounces his Catholic Faith publicly. But he renounced it a long time ago - ever since he willfully violated his vow of celibacy.

He is serving God? Please... He is incapable of hurting anyone? Oh, please... Of course only God knows. But I don't buy his pious talk.

The media would use him as an example of why priests should be allowed to marry. But let's ask ourselves the following questions. Should the Church be guided by those who cannot control themselves sexually? Is celibacy impossible? Are the majority of priests, in fact, willfully and secretly not celibate? I don't think so.

If the Church allows itself to be pressured and guided by those who have no self-control in matters of sexuality, then we don't need the Church. We can all be sexually immoral without the Church's help.

Just because some priests willfully violate their vow of celibacy does not mean that the Church must do away with celibacy. Why, a vast number of Catholics fornicate and commit adultery, should the Church then do away with God's commandment about not committing fornication and adultery? Of course not. In like manner, the sexual immorality of some priests is no reason to do away with the vow of celibacy for priests.

May God grant the grace of conversion to Fr. Cutie, or rather, Mr. Cutie, and his "wife".

8. Kyle

Welcome, Alberto! We are glad to have you among us. The Episcopal Church is a wonderful, dynamic, and Spirit-filled place to be. Your priestly gifts will be a great asset to us. We are thrilled to have you join us as we work to build up the body of Christ!

9. Esther

Let us not be judgemental...ask yourself what will please God, a priest who leaves the church to officially marry in another church where he can be both a priest & a husband or a priest who remains in the catholic church but has affairs & kids out of wedlock while acting celibate infront of people!!! tell me which option between the two pleases God?

It is better for him to marry officially rather than pretend to be a celibate priest while behind the scenes having an affair,atleast he is honest with himself, he does not want to keep pretending that he lives a celibate life, so let him marry and serve where God where priests are allowed to do so rather than pretend to be celibate and have affairs & kids out of wedlock etc. which one do you think will please God?

10. Alejandra

I am a practicing Catholic, and I respect Father Cutie and his decision. What other choice did he have within the church? He was true to his love and was left with no options within our church. I wish him all the happiness in the world. We can not call ourselves Christians if we go on a witch hunt and don't forgive Father Cutie, he is not a hypocrate, we are if continue to condemn!