University of San Francisco Cuts Theology Program, Is Catholic Identity in Decline? Comments

We call upon the University to rescind the decision to end the Graduate Theology program and rededicate itself to being a Catholic University in the heart of the Church. Continue Reading

1. Eleanor

It is a sad thing that institutions of learning in America run by Jesuits are declining in their Catholic identity.

Perhaps St. Ignatius de Loyola and other Jesuit saints are crying now because of what is happening.

We are asking you to please meditate and contemplate before you make an erroneous move that you will later on repent.

May God enlighten your minds and touch your hearts.

2. Eddie Fong

Jay,
    San Francisco and Santa Clara.

3. jamie

Its so sad what is happening in america today all the people with anti catholic anti christian beliefs it just makes me cry my children are now collage age and they don't no where to go to school in today world choices are difficult and we cannot afford a foreign school so we will just pray that everything will work out

4. Jay Mack

What are the other two Catholic Universities in the Bay Area that are being referred to?

5. Pamela

Oh, oh...another CINO institution. Maybe the "Catholic" church in the United States will secede from Vatican City. After all, there really doesn't seem to be a relationship anymore.

6. Eddie Fong

God said to give Him our worries and our fears. But we sold our soul to calm our fears and worries. Now, the devil is asking for his profit and creating havoc in our heart.
    Christian institutions, particularly Catholics, will hire the famous ones for their names. In the process, gave up the dignity that was once theirs.
    When my daughter was in the process of selecting a college to go to, we were at ND when I heard a them IMPORTING a Muslim to teach Philosophy at ND, can't they find a qualified Christian? I am sure this scenario happens to Boston College, Georgetown, USF and so on. And we sold our soul.
    May this is a lesson.

7. Cammie

It's tragic that so many Catholic Colleges have completely forgotten their Catholic identity. Educating young theologians should be a core concern for USF. Instead they cut the program. Very sad.

8. Andy Holland

I have been in three Christian traditions now, Protestant/Anglican, Orthodox and now Roman Catholic.

Three wonderful theological things I learned from each - from the Protestants - "Jesus loves me this I know, cause the Bible tells me so, little ones to him belong, we are weak and he is strong."

From the Orthodox, "Oh Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, faint heartedness, lust of power and idle talk, and grant rather the spirit of humilty, chastity, faithfulness and love to thy servant, yea Oh Lord and King, grant that I my see my own transgressions and NOT JUDGE MY BROTHER - for thou art good and love mankind, and to thee we ascribe Glory and Honor to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages Amen.

And the best from the Roman Catholics - take your hands, form a church, a steeple, open the doors and see all the people.

The people and love of the people are the Icons of the Holy Catholic Church.

Real theology is found in the Bible - as Abraham said, if you don't believe the Scritpures, you won't believe even the man raised from the dead - that is faith.

And for hope, we have the theology of prayer where we begin by seeing our own transgressions and not judging.

And for love, we have the people we are called to love, for if we cannot see God in them, we will never see God face to face.

That's graduate school theology. The rest is interesting, but academic.

When St. Peter the fisherman who was tortured in San Francisco is revered a Saint in the Holy Catholic Church - watch what happens to that Sodom and Gomorrah - God will do an amazing beautiful thing in the heart of that city!

9. SisterZelda

One cannot forget that there will be no Catholic Schools, at any level, without money to run them. After spending fifty some years in these institutions I know the gut wrenching decisions that need to be made. Were the program contributing it share to the University, it would not be cut.

There is money to examine apostolic religious congregations of women for years on end, but none to keep parish schools open in poor neighborhoods and Catholic Studies programs alive by scholarshipping those who would love to serve the church with their lives but cannot fund such an endeavor.

10. ugochukwu

I am a proud catholic and will defend it with my blood. but it is sad to see those in authority espcially in educational sector in the catholic life in America, directly or indirectly fighting the church. if they are tired of being a catholic or promoting the faith they should humbling resign. i think the vatican should step in and save catholic schools in america from the hands of this anti-catholic force.