Archbishop Chaput on Notre Dame Scandal Comments

Chaput said it was difficult to imagine any way the Obama invitation could be justified in light of the U.S. bishops' 2004 document "Catholics in Political Life". Continue Reading

1. Ann S.

To GG, You must E-Mail your Bishop and Let him know you are waiting to hear what he has to say about this situation. I did, and I am proud to say that my Bishop Kevin Rhoads, of Harrisburg Pa. has signed the petition.

We must let them know how we feel too. They need to know that the faithful are behind them too.

2. Mrs. Rene O'Riordan

I read somewhere that those who "have" to attend the ceremony, but feel they want to make a protest, intend on not clapping President Obama's speech. Can I make a little suggestion to them (probably unworkable) but for what it's worth. I have spent years not clapping when I disaproved of something but nobody heard me. How about standing up with their backs to Obama during his speech? Just a suggestion. - Blessings - Rene

3. jerry

How disappointing that Cardinals Mahoney and O'malley have been conspicuously quiet on this matter

4. Luisa Ortega, SFO

I would like to thank all the Bishops that have courageously signed this petition. I wish to see all our church speak up on behalf of what we as Caholics-Chritians believe. How can we support anyone that defies our fundamental moral principles. Being there, agreeing to accepting this man be awarded in Notre Dames premises is a complete betrayal of our faith; of what we say we believe in. Let us be true Catholics and stand up for what we truly believe.

Luisa Ortega, SFO

5. Sarah

Does anyone know if it's possible for the bishops to remove the title of "Catholic" from Notre Dame? I wish they would - it would end some of the scandal these schools are causing.

6. Darryl

Why are we surprised by the lack of comment from so many areas? Are we that naive? It may be time for some in house housekeeping in many locals in the US. As the government is appointed, so are to some respect the clergy. I don't believe for a second that the Holy Father accepts what's occurring and neither should we.

7. Holly

God Bless the Bishops who show their people courage.
    Im with GG Pro-Life where is everybody?
    The family is waiting for you?
    Form your conscience at the door.
    Love in Christ
    Brothers and Sisters

8. Mary Francis

Bravo, Bishop Stika
    Your new diocese thanks you for adding your name to this august list of Bishops.

9. "G.G." a Pro-Life Catholic

There is NOT one Bishop on the list from California or many of the western states. What are they waiting for? We need to hear from all the Bishops, priests, all clergy , all Catholics from California. That means especially Governor Schwartzenegger and his wife Maria of the Kennedy family, that claim to be Catholics.

NOT a word from Cardinal Mahoney of Los Angeles, Calif. Cardinal Mahoney SHOULD at least write Fr. Jenkins a letter reminding him of The U.S. Bishops 2004 document, "Catholics in Political Life". I believe he's afraid to lose the support of the liberal Pro-Choice entertainment community. Cardinal Mahoney SHOULD express disapproval of Notre Dame's invitation to Obama.

So, I ask again, "Where are the California Bishops response of disapproval sent to Fr. Jenkins"? And, the Bishops from ALL the western states??????

I'm waiting for my Bishop to respond. Bishop John T. Steinbock, Diocese of Fresno, California.Why aren't you on the list of Bishops that have responded? What is it with these western Bishops? Are they Pro-Choice? Do they feel guilty because they have NOT followed the Catholic teachings as they are suppose to?

Please, let us hear from all of you Bishops that have NOT responded. We MUST NOT have Obama honored nor should he be allowed to speak at Notre Dame's graduation class of 2009. Let us all pray that GOD will bless Fr.Jenkins and Obama to make the right decisions according to our Catholic teachings. Amen.

10. Michael

This is another good Bishop..We need to hear from more...I have emailed my Bishop, but he is recovering from surgery to amputate his foot and LL so I really think he has more on his mind right now....
    But there is little reason for the other bishops not to call out Jenkins and any BOT or Fellows who acted with him...