Learning From Notre Dame: Catholic Identity is Not Optional Comments

Catholic identity requires that the College community understand its ecclesial nature and mission. Continue Reading

1. Charles

There is a fine line here between "Catholic Identity" and pure religious fundamentalism. The Catholic Church and even more so all the K12 schools, colleges and universities are in the world. College is still college and much of that part of life involves exploring yourself and the wider world around you and how that relates to your beliefs. If you go too far in the idea of "Identity" you risk discounting the world around you and learning about it in a form of mutual personal respect towards things you agree and disagree on. If "identity" is taken too far, the wide world is blocked out and you become stuck in a small, closed box of pure dogma. This often raises walls which is an detriment to an respectful discussion of ideas and positions. Often this does not allow even partial process on some issues as heels are unfairly dug in.

2. henry navarro ongchua

to quote Pope Felix III "not to oppose error is to approve it. and not to defend truth is to suppress it, and indeed to neglect to confound evil men when we can do it, is no less a sin than to encourage them." and "He that sees another in error and endeavors not to correct it, testifies himself to be in error"by Pope Leo I

3. Michael

Deacon Fournier has posted a very powerful article..The Truth hurts..Our Catholic Colleges and Universities are broken and need help..What had Happened at Stubenville is almost if not so a miracle....That model needs to be implimated at all the so called Catholic Colleges. ND needs a complete pruge of its Administration and most of its faculty and they all need to understand that "A Catholic Identity" is what people see when they talk about Georgetown, Holy Cross, Boston College, Belmont Abby and yes Notre Dame ....Lets make sure that the bishops assure us that that is happening at our universities....

4. Tim Ready

Those who believe that ND has lost its Catholic identity do not know Notre Dame. As an alumnus, former faculty member, and father of a recent graduate, my perception is that Notre Dame is much more Catholic in its culture and confidently assertive of its Catholic identity than when I was a student in the early 1970s. This is evident in many ways, including a strong ethic of Christian service led by its Center for Social Concerns, as well as a strong campus ministry program and high attendance at weekday dorm Masses as well as on Sunday. ND's Catholic identity also is evident in instruction and curriculum.

As a great university, ND must be engaged with the world. While President Obama's views are not totally aligned with Catholic doctrine, he is not a Catholic. It is entirely appropriate for ND to have President Obama as commencement speaker because he is the president of all Americans. Further, much of his agenda is consistent with Catholic social teaching on social justice.

ND and other Catholic universities should not use single-issue moral litmus tests to screen presidential commencement speakers -whether that issue be abortion, capital punishment, or carrying out a war characterized by the pope as unjust.

5. Daniel Amiri

In all kindness and respect to Mr. Fong, as a student of the University of Notre Dame, I have had exactly the opposite experience. I have become more in touch with my faith and have become increasingly more conscious of my obligation to the Church and my fellow neighbor. As I write in my blog at http://bonumteesse.blogspot.com, Notre Dame is not a "Jesus Camp" where one can send their child and expect them to graduate a saint. Despite its problems, Notre Dame still offers the unparalleled opportunity for students to grow in their faith. Because your daughter did not choose this path is not entirely the fault of the University. Notre Dame is suffering a lot under the weight of secularism, and we as students have taken efforts to bring it back to its roots. Still, I don't think I would be the man I am today if I had gone to Steubenville, which may be an excellent university but still falls short of the academic excellence of Notre Dame. I am appalled with recent events on Notre Dame's campus, yes, but I haven't given up the fight yet.

6. Jeff D.

Christ did not come to bring peace, He came to bring the sword. I thank God Jesus did not and does not tolerate sin - He lived truth, suffered for truth, died for truth, then defeated sin by rising from the dead. We can only hope and pray those of us whom are left to fight for truth never tolerate nothing less than His example. He made all things new, why would we step back and tolerate sin? If one is Christian - we can love one another as He loves us, but we can never tolerate sin. It is not an option...

7. mary

Why was my comment not posted. There was no profanity in it - just a question.MV

8. mary

Thank you for the comments. Where is the center for the church in the U.S. I look to the Pope for guidance because there is no one group that stands for our church in the U.S. I don't want to have to hunt down what evey bishop says or wonder why some don't say anything. We need to speak with one voice as there is only one Catholic Church. MV

9. Sandy

I am wondering that if the alumni that support ND financially were to immediately start withholding their financial support to the University, possibly Fr. Jenkins would actually have to listen to those that support ND.

10. Eddie Fong

My daughter graduated last year from ND. She had shocked me a few times in our conversation about our Faith. Tolerance is a word she brought home one day, and chastised me for not accepting gays and lesbians. I told I do, but not their deeds.
    She said I should be more TOLERANT of other.
    We argued about that for sometime, including the fact they show "VAGINA MONOLOGUE" in their school.
    Her attitude shocked me, because she was not the same girl I sent to ND. Yes, the Catholic School changed her a lot.
    although she still does the other Catholic activities I brought up with and more.
    May God bless the student of Catholic institutions!