Learning From Notre Dame: Catholic Identity is Not Optional Comments

Catholic identity requires that the College community understand its ecclesial nature and mission. Continue Reading

1. BE

It's all about money! These universties must cater to everyone. That's why I think that's why they have become so watered down!

2. Patrick Mcnally

forgive me, I ended prematurely.

As I was saying in response to Mr. Ready:

The Holy Father has declared that, "...Not all moral issues have the same moral weight as abortion and euthanasia. For example, if a Catholic were to be at odds with the Holy Father on the application of capital punishment or on the decision to wage war, he would not for that reason be considered unworthy to present himself to receive Holy Communion. While the Church exhorts civil authorities to seek peace, not war, and to exercise discretion and mercy in imposing punishment on criminals, it may still be permissible to take up arms to repel an aggressor or to have recourse to capital punishment. There may be a legitimate diversity of opinion even among Catholics about waging war and applying the death penalty, but not however with regard to abortion and euthanasia." So, I believe this makes your argument specious, at best and cynical at worst.

The Blessed Mother weeps...Notre Dame, change your name.

Thank you...and please pray for everyone connected to this issue on both sides.

3. Patrick McNally

Well, I see the Notre Dame apologists have finally mobilized. Daniel Amiri calls Franciscan University "Jesus Camp"...demonstrating his self-proclaimed "kindness and respect..." but instead insulting Jesus, Franciscan and himself. Daniel, have you ever been to Steubenville? Do you know anything about it really? Then Mr. Tim Ready Then leaps into the fray saying that if we disagree with him then we "...do not know Notre Dame..." Respectfully, Mr. Ready, I'm one of those ignorant Catholics who has donated well into the high five figures to NDU over the past couple of decades...likely paying your salary and subsidizing your scholarship(s). I always appreciate being told that a Catholic institution should compromise its values for the greater seculer and worldly good by the likes of you. Incidentally, the holy Father stated clearly and unambiguously that not all moral issues carry the same weight.

4. greg m elep

its really a shame to be honoring someone who prefers to kill innocents who cant defend themselves...

5. Kathleen Androlewicz

It is interesting to note that the University of Arizona will NOT honor Mr. Obama with an honorary degree when he speaks at their commencement on May 13th. Their stance is that they do not honor someone who has no body of work behind them. What a further embarassment for ND!

6. John B. DeFreitas

Thank you for this article.
    I too am proud to be Catholic and I pray for this continued re-discovery of our Catholic Identity and way of life, not only in the Colleges but in the life and home of every Catholic.

Jesus is making everything new again - a new springtime in the church and in the world. It is a wonderful time to be alive. Where Jesus is - there is hope for Jesus is the Way the Truth and the Life.

God Bless

7. J

As a Catholic community we need to ask for the resignation of Notre Dame's President.

8. Jeff D.

Our lives as Catholics is to know God, love God, and serve God. Place our will secondary to His. Sacrifice our lives for His purpose. It is easy to do otherwise and hide behind reason, or mutual respect, or exploring yourself. It is what we practice that makes us, "in Christ" - which is difficult to do when your leaders follow sin. God knows all of us more than we know ourselves, and He is fighting for our souls through us - well, those of us whom choose to let Him reign in us. I applaud the ND student whom chooses to follow His will while in college, you are awesome! Thanks for the hope and faith.

9. jh

A clear presentation on the responsibilities of Catholic universities and their great potential.

10. Ruth, Ohio

Were it not for the powerful witness of The College of Steubenville now Franciscan University, I might never have become a Catholic convert in 1980. And that was just from reading about the college in New Covenant magazine. The first time I visited that campus as a recent convert, it was like a foretaste of heaven. My husband and I attended a conference on marriage and family where an Italian Monsignor impressed me with some very powerful words: "All our monuments will someday crumble, the White House, the Kremlin, even the buildings of the Vatican. In the end only two things will remain, Gods Glory and the beauty of your person." I pray that somehow those directing the future of Notre Dame will come to understand that message.