Bishop Doran to Notre Dame: Rescind Obama Invitation or Change your Name Comments

This decision of your flies in the face of the expressed directive of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.I would ask that you rescind this unfortunate decision.(Bishop Doran) Continue Reading

1. Laurence

While it must be firm and unequivocal, the language that we employ to express our thoughts to Fr. Jenkins as regards the present issue about Notre Dame must also be laden with charity, gentleness, and respect.

It is very easy to fall into the trap of self-righteousness and think ourselves justified to use harsh, unkind, or even insolent language when we express our thoughts, opinions, feelings, or directives to Fr. Jenkins.

God calls us to speak the truth in love. Therefore, when we speak the truth without love, then we are, as St. Paul says, as a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

Let us then allow God, the Holy Spirit, to guide our expression of the truth so that we may also express the truth with humility and love.

2. John Stephen Dwyer

While I disagree with Notre Dame's decision to honor President Obama, I consider Bishop Doran's facetious suggestions about renaming the university to be immature in their tone and unworthy of the gravity of this debate.

3. Joan Chapman

Thanks be to God!
    We need to hear what Most Reverend Thomas G. Doran, D.D., J.C.D.,Bishop of Rockford has to say, what a great servant!

4. Charles Zlamal

Thank You Bishop Doran for so elequently stating what many of us feel. It's a sad day when this even needs to be addressed to Notre Dame.

5. John Earl

I have had problems with Bishop Doran over the years but this letter imparts the thinking of conservative Catholics toward ND and many of the other so called Catholic universities like no other I have read.

6. Stephen E. Berry

Thanks be to God for Bishop Doran!! What a letter! Well said!