BC Theology Dept. Hosting 'Jesus Christ as Grand Marshall of Queer America'? Comments

In terms of Catholicism, Russo believes that the laity of the Church and liberation theology have been more open to the queer community than ‘certain Biblical literalists.’ Continue Reading

1. Ann Russo

Holly please contact me directly I find your statements about Courage very interesting.
    Ann
    woohoorusso@yahoo.com

2. Ann Russo

I appreciate all the comments that have been posted here. However, I think it is extremely difficult to make an assessment about my work positive or negative from a few blurbs in an interview. I am writing a thesis/book on the matter and hope that you would all be willing to look deeper into the dilemma facing Christians Queers. While I cannot address everything written I want to simply state that I do believe homosexuals can promote Christian values as much as heterosexuals. Homosexuality is not about sex it is about love. It is easy to see homosexuality as being only about sexual immorality. But seriously we all know, sexual immorality is not confined to homosexuals. Human beings in general are flawed when it comes to sexuality. One can be gay and never engage in sexual relations at all. It is the attraction that makes us gay, not a choice to be deviant against God, or counter-culture. It is so difficult and painful to accept ones self especially when people put you in the same category as Satan or view you as anti-God. I could marry a man and still be gay. The issue goes beyond mere sexual relations, it is about love. I can love and accept myself and show through example that I can be a follower of Christ and live to the best of my ability an honest, loving life in hopes of promoting God to those who think that he has turned from them.

3. Dave Russo

ANY subject profits from spirited debate and letting in a little fresh air once in awhile. No one is coerced into accepting or rejecting--just remember that whatever cannot withstand debate is not worth believing.

4. Mary

We're here, we're queer, ...we're praying for you!

5. Eddie Fong

The attack keep coming from all sides, the devil is getting stronger. And the biggest armies come from within.
    Where is the Vicar of the Jesuits? For ACADEMIC FREEDOM YOU SOLD CHRIST to the devil?

Sts. Ignatius and Anthony must be spinning in their graves.

6. John

It's about that time for Catholics to stand up and be counted!I suggest that any educational institution bearing the name catholic and not proving it by what is taught,should be deprived from using the name Catholic. What counts is quality and not quantity!

7. Michael

So right..Using Academic Freedom to make a political point..Its all about Homosexuality...The "Queers" their own title, will use any and all excuses to try to make their points, and the Society of Jesus is just helping them...

8. Holly

I would like to state respectfully also that people put this issue in terms of "liberal"? This isnt about politics it about what homosexulity is.
    The Church has some answers.
    I dont understand why people cant come to terms with what the Church teaches.
    She is only teaching what Christ would want her to in season and out of season.

As we have repeatedly stated she is countercultural to the world.
    She cannot go against the teaching of Christ as some have even inside the Church.

You cannot pick and choose. You must educate oneself on what she believes.
    People tell us we are "homophobes" and "bigots" this simply is not true.
    We simply hold to truths set down by Christ and he asked that we hold to them.

What I have not heard from the Same Sex Community is their opinion regarding the Courage/Encourage Apostolate and the work that they do their.

Do they realize it exists and if they do is there an understanding of what it teaches?

Love in Christ Brothers and Sisters

9. Holly

By the way as I understand it we do not use the word "gay" or "queer" we use same sex attraction as the terminology.
    Father Harvey speaks about this in his book Homosexuality and the Catholic Church.
    I found it quite interesting and educational.
    Ive never felt like I was evil towards people with same sex attraction.
    I thought that the Church didnt feel this way either and I believe she doesnt.
    What kind of vision does the Same Sex Community have for the Catholic Church?
    Well if anyone is interested go to Courage Apostolate its good to be educated on the Churches teaching.
    I would say Heterosexuality is who we are and everything else is defined by the original sin from our first parents in the beginning.
    John Paul II gives us an insight into this I think in his book Theology of the Body.
    Also follow others like Jason Evert, Christopher West and others in the Church.
    We have some very interesting literature out there.
    If one is intersted in educating oneself look for some of their work in the used book stores.
    Please be peaceful in your protests and get educated about your faith and what the Church teaches.
    I doubt very much our Lord is going to allow his Church to change for Satan.
    What does everyone else think peacefully?
    We dont want to promote violence you know.

10. David

This is again an attack against the word of God. The truth never changes and gays no matter what are living in sin.