Catholic Notre Dame University to Give Obama Honorary Degree Comments

His appearance at the university would appear to violate the USCCB's policy against honoring pro-abortion politicians. Continue Reading

1. Jerry Merritt

I think that his presence will bring national attention and impact to the graduation ceremonies. I am sure Mr Obama is a fine man. The fact that the college has chosen a very pro-choice speaker only shows that some at the college value the notoriety more than their values.

2. Paul

LENT 2009

APPEAL

Dear Friends of Our Lady :

On average every 27 seconds in the USA and Western Europe one innocent life is aborted ( !!! ). It has come the most appropriate time for Catholics from all over the World to unite in eager prayer and severe fast in order to put a final stop to the culture of death. May the Hour of Mercy on 19th of April be the time when the Whole Catholic World set about storming the gates of Heaven with relentless begging so that the most influential pro-choice proponent –the President of the USA Barack Obama can be miraculously converted to Catholicism. Catholic pro-lifers naturally turn to Saint Michael the prince of the Heavenly Host, in our struggle against the principalities and powers of evil, while Poles call for the intercession of the wide-known advocate for the unborn – the Servant of God Pope John Paul II.

"I remind you, My daughter, that as often as you hear the clock strike the third hour, immerse yourself completely in My mercy, adoring and glorifying it; invoke its omnipotence for the whole world, and particularly for poor sinners; for at that moment mercy was opened wide for every soul. In this hour you can obtain everything for yourself and for others for the asking; it was the hour of grace for the whole world - mercy triumphed over justice." (St Faustina , Diary, 1572)
    ---------------------------------
    Finally it seems to be the only way how to tackle effectively this burning issue.

3. Mike

I have read the comments here and there are some seriously hostile people around here. What happened to love thy neighbor or whatever it is?

He isn't there to present his political ideals. He is there to tell those graduating that they are the future of this country and that they will be the leaders of tomorrow. Also, that they will need to step up and drive innovation in the coming years. That they have a responsibility to use what they learned at a great universe to move this country forward.

Just because he is pro-choice doesn't mean that he is a bad person. You talk like he is a crazy, uneducated idiot, who is there to corrupt them. He is a great speaker and I believe he is a good person to give a commencement speech at any university or institution.

4. Adrienne

I just sent emails to the president of ND, Cardinal George, and Bishop McManus. Please have everyone you know send them e-mails showing our outrage.

5. Patrick

Notre Dame University's primary purpose is to further the Church's mission and promote its teaching through the ministry of education. It has obviously forgotten that. President Obama is diametrically opposed to Church teaching on the most fundamental issues - the life issues. He is an insatiable promoter of the culture of death. No charisma and no amount of good done by 'other stances' can compensate for that. Our bishops must make that clear.

6. Jennifer

Head on over to American Papist (www.americanpapist.com/blog.html) to sign an online petition being sent to Jenkins.

And if you're in IN, plan a trip to Notre Dame on graduation day and participate in the pro-life protest being planned. Let's not let this simply happen without showing our strong opposition. Jenkins does NOT speak for the Catholic Church.

7. Bulbajer

Though I think inviting Obama to a Catholic College was a bit dim-witted, especially since Catholics have been among the most vigilent of protesters, I must object to the nature of the comments on this article. I knmow you're probably yelling at me now, but please hear me out.

I don't think ND is inviting Obama because of his stance on abortion; that much is obvious. What most don't seem to understand is why. Many pro-lifers, for a legitimate reason, don't understand why Obama got the Catholic vote. Well, maybe it's because they admire his other stances (on foreign policy, maybe even gay marriage, etc.).

I also admire him because of his natural charisma and leadership. Apart from his stance on abortion, I personally believe he will improve this country and the world by the time he leaves office. Maybe that's why ND is honoring him.

Please, I am only trying to defend a move to by ND that obviously had its reasons. I am not pro-choice.

P.S. I realize that the Bishops told Catholic Universities not to do this, but I think a growing number of Catholics, especially in the northeast and southern California feel that they don't always have to base their decisions on the Bishops. I think Catholic Online should write an article adressing this.

P.P.S. "THE ONE"? If you are referring to the Republican commercial that tried to refer to Obama as the anti-Christ, I have just lost a lot of respect for this site. That was a dirty trick aimed at Evangelicals to try to get them afraid of Obama. I think even my fellow commentators will agree that Obama is not the anti-Christ, however his stance on abortion may be.

8. J

I've always heard the rumor about Notre Dame being way to liberal in certain things and it finally shows up. We need to ask God almighty to intervene on this Divine Mercy Sunday for all the mess that's going on in the Church, with the Church and outside of the Church (THE CRAZY WORLD).

9. M Crow

Perhaps a letter to the good bishop of Peoria, Most Rev. Daniel Jenky, C.S.C, would influence him to exert some pressure on his Alma Mater and religious community. The address:
    Spalding Pastoral Center
    419 NE Madison Ave.
    Peoria, IL 61603-3719
    Phone (309) 671-1550
    Fax (309) 671-1576

10. Peggy

Before I respond to this article which, believe me breaks my heart, I have sent off an email to one of those named at the end requesting an explanation that will convince me they have some good reason fordoing what they are doing. I don't know if I will receive a response. In the meantime, we cannot say too many rosaries to our dear mother asking for intercession. God helps us.