Catholic Notre Dame University to Give Obama Honorary Degree Comments

His appearance at the university would appear to violate the USCCB's policy against honoring pro-abortion politicians. Continue Reading

1. Lisa Tipton

What kind of degree is Obama receiving...Doctorate of Death?
    God forgive us when we refuse to stand up for Truth.

2. joe

Congratulations to the commendable students of Notre Dame who oppose Obama's commencement address. Who was the genius responsible for honoring the graduates with a speech from the culture of death's master of ceremony? Whoever this person or group is - they should be fired and seek the sacrament of reconciliation with the church. This is absolutely unbelievable. I thought the ends never justify the means?

3. Kim Emert

Why don't we all pray for the intercession of John Paul II. He will be beatified on April 2. Perhaps he can bring God's grace to this situation.

4. freddi

We will just have to get busy praying, praying, praying for change of the president's heart in re his culture of death mindset and/or Notre Dame's officials plan to have him speak and give him an honorary degree. Whatever were they thinking???

5. Michael J. Holloran, Pro-Life Activast !

Louise, How many abortions have you committed, personally and communally, remember your either part of the solution or part of the problem! Also, how many women and/or their babies have you brought into your home, to help raise or even help defray the cost of living, for the same women and children ?

Don't bother answering we already know your answer. You are all talk and no action ! MJH.

6. HUMPHREY KASOZI

I am a student at the Catholic University of Eastern Africa in Kenya. I am touched by uncompromising position on the issue of abortion. Indeed we should be pro-life and I will preach on that tomorrow 25 March. However, I want to clarify to me: Is it from his very mouth that President Obama declared that he is pro-abortion or we put words in his mouth? If it is true, then the Notre Dame Univ. should drop the invitation of the president for honorary award.

7. Rosemary Soto

Even though I did not attend Notre Dame University, I have been so proud of this school all of my life and I am now 66 years old. I have no animosity towards Presiden Obama, however I do not think that he should speak at this pretigious University which has always upheld the Catholic tradition and teachings. Please reconsider and invite someone who believes in our teachings, especially that of pro-life. Thank you.

Rosemary from California

8. Louise

No one is "pro abortion"! Protecting a woman's choice is not evil, but poor medical care is. Remember our president is preventing abortion by addressing the needs of the poor whose numbers are greatest among single mothers, many of whom were not unwed mothers.

The issue is not abortion but poverty & the lack of support services. How many of you rigidly pro lifers would take in a pregnant woman & her children & raise the infant? Is it easier to call her a murder?

9. Pauline Reynolds

It seems that Notre Dame has made a terrible mistake.Perhaps they wanted to honor President Obama for his attitudes toward the unfortunates in our society or for being the first black President or his peace overtures.

However, I believe that his position on abortion clouds his achievements to such a degree that it seems ludicrous for a noted Catholic university to invite him to receive an honorary degree.

10. Daniel Ajir

I do believe it is important we take a lot of caution in our actions so that we do not send a wrong signal about our belief and principles nor matter how sincere we are