Catholic Notre Dame University to Give Obama Honorary Degree Comments

His appearance at the university would appear to violate the USCCB's policy against honoring pro-abortion politicians. Continue Reading

1. J Andrusko

I am shocked and very disappointed that Notre Dame would even consider having this pro abortion president speak at the commencement this year or ANY year! Have the board of directors become anit-Catholic? When did their values change? Is Notre Dame now a "Catholic in name only" university? Who authorized this outrageous decision? We teach our children to be pro-life because we believe it is important.

2. Shirley

I cannot understand how you can make this selection of a pro-abortionist to address the graduates. What a mixed message you are perpetrating. But then maybe you are one of the 55% of Catholicas in this country that voted for him.
    Disgusted

3. Maryann Riordan

It is a disgrace that the University of Notre Dame is inviting Obama to speak at commencement. A president who does not value the sanctity of life. What hypocrites. I am a high school teacher and I am advising my students to not even consider University of Notre Dame--it is Catholic in name only and an institution that does not stand on its principles.

4. ben grisham

I believe it is certainly the sign of the times when a catholic university would give an honorary degree to someone who does not believe in the sanctity of life.

5. P DUBBS

How sad for our church. political correctness now over-rides courage and our fight for the unborn. I must re-evaluate my support of this new COWARDLY catholic church.

6. Charlemagne721

I feel this is what is wrong with our Caholic peers in position of influence, ie the University of Notre Dame....what message are your sending to our youth and whos bright idea was it anyway. Preposterous! As a Catholic of the Roman rite I hold fast to the Pro Life position and I am insulted!

7. Bulbajer

I would just like to point out something.

Offended: So what if he isn't Catholic? What does that have to do with it? I don't think there's any harm in letting a non-Catholic speak at a Catholic university, excepting, of course, they plan to speak about beliefs contrary to the university and the Church. Your opinion is overly-exclusive.

Of course, Obama shouldn't have been invited for other reasons, i guess.

8. Debbie

My heart breaks for our Lord Jesus Christ, betrayed once again, by one of His own, and for all of the faithful who have stood outside the abortion mills praying for the babies being murdered, how betrayed they must feel by this decision of Notre Dame. Shame on you for your decision to invite this man who would legislate killing that which is created in the image of God.

9. Gerald St. Germain

I am digusted and disappointed in the University of Notre Dame allowing the President to give the commencement speech. He is an avid supporter of abortion not only in the United States but also abroad. His every move so far has been against preserving human life. How can you in good conscience invite someone with his ideas to a Catholic University to speak. You might as well endorse abortion yourself when you allow him to speak.

10. Offended

What a huge offense and abomination to the Catholic Church if Notre Dame gives Obama any kind of honorary degree. Not only are Obama's beliefs and support of abortion contrary to God's word, but also the fact Obama is not a Roman Catholic.

I would wonder if the name of Notre Dame would have to change Dame to the word Dam because that is exactly what they would be doing if the give Obama any kind of honorary degree. He should not even be allowed to speak at Notre Dame. And Notre Dame should be more discerning and choose only those who are consistent with the word of God and Catholic Church, to speak at Notre Dame.

Just because Obama is president does not justify giving him or anyone else who is contrary to the Catholic Church and word of God. "At Notre Dame, the administration there just made a choice. They took a giant step away from their identity as 'Catholic.' They [sic] rather be of this world than the one they supposedly exist to bring people toward."