Vatican Meeting: Americans Attempt to Replace D.C. Area Bishops Comments

Randall Terry led a group to Rome to attempt to replace Archbishop Wuerl of Washington and Bishop Loverde of Arlington. Continue Reading

1. Marie DiCicco

I think the above article is very hard on the Pope but people must have told St. Peter things too. God Bless our Pope

2. CatholicXVI

Reply to Mike:

I am not saying that I asgree with Mr. Terry's actions. However, I think that all the bishops should read Archbishop Burke's words. I love listening to Archbishop Wuerl, but I just hope that he will choose to do what is right and refuse communion. It is one thing for the bishop to sit down, speak with Sebelius, and try to give her guidance, but we must protect the Holy Eucharist. It is wrong to receive communion when you are publicly rejecting Church teachings. But, please do not think that I am saying that I suport Terry's actions.

3. Joseph Landry

Karen,

Bishop Loverde publicly dissented from Canon 915.

(its a long podcast but towards the end is the Q & A he rejects canon 915)

He also was heralded as a hero saying he is willing to get thrown in jail to protect his hospitals from abortion yet arrested those that tried to keep the man out of office that will make hospitals death camps.

"If you have run with footmen and they have tired you out, Then how can you compete with horses? If you fall down in a land of peace, How will you do in the thicket of the Jordan?" Jer. 12:5

I strongly recommend reading the full text of Oves Sine Pastore (http://ahumbleplea.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/to_the_bishops.pdf)I think it will help you understand where Mr. Terry is coming from.

4. William Coda

I pray that the issue of abortion stops tearing apart our church community. I pray that abortion is stopped all over the world. I pray that every church leader and member of our church follow our great Pope and our church teachings against abortion.

I pray that Catholic politicians let their faith in our beliefs about abortion guide their actions instead of political ambitions or whatever reasons they have for disobeying our church position against abortion.

I pray for any Catholic, or any human being, to be forgiven for pro abortion actions or beliefs. I also pray that God fills their heart with love for our church, our Pope, our teachings, and the victims of abortion. I feel that is the only way to end this tragedy.

5. Karen E. Shea

Bishop Paul Loverde is deeply dedicated to the protection of the unborn. He has spoken very clearly from the pulpit about crimes against life, and attends many demonstrations in front of abortion mills. I urge Mr. Terry to consider the whole truth, and refrain from inflammatory accusations.
    Karen Shea

6. Thomas Ryan

The bishops must be consistent. The Holy Eucharist must be given the honor and the respect that the Lord earned for us. This is the most precious gift that we have in our church. Handing it out to "public sinners" who are not contrite is a scandal to the entire church and demoralizes the Faithful. Pro-abortion Catholics and politicians should be excommunicated and denied the Eucharist.

If they are not, then the anti-abortion rhetoric of our bishops should stop because they are simply empty sentiments.

Our bishops should be going to jail in the effort to prevent abortion. It is time for them to lead.

7. CatholicXVI

Archbishop Burke said that the Bishops don't have a choice whether or not to refuse communion to people in the situations like Sebellius, so she should be refused communion everywhere. Any bishop who does not refuse should read or listen to what the Archbishop Burke said. I am sure that the Holy Father is not pleased with the fact that the laity had to speak up because certain bishops were not upholding Church teachings. I hope that Archbishop Wuerl will hear the cry of the Church and do what is right.

8. Mike

Though I understand the frustration, I think the bishops are doing what they think is best for the greater flock. Remember when Jesus was criticized for eating with tax collectors and sinners by the Pharasees? Jesus said that a physician doesn't help those who are well but those who are sick. So too, I think the bishops are trying tend to the members of the Church who are spiritually in need of help and prayers.

9. Mrs. Rene O'Riordan

Would this have a precedence with St. Catherine of Sienna going to Avignon to persuade the Pope to return to Rome? And maybe other times when the laity did in fact take up the cudgel for the sake of the Church? I think it is important to glance back at history to see if this has in fact happened before, and what was the outcome. We all know there is a hidden schism in the Church to-day, people who disagree with Church teaching instead of leaving the Church have decided to stay and work from within. Blessings - Rene

10. Jim

Mr Terry is way off base.He is an extremist who should be labeled as such by any responsible editor