President Begins Overturning “Conscience Rule” for Pro-life Doctors Comments

President Obama used the attention given to his new budget to quietly undermine protection for pro-life medical professionals. Continue Reading

1. Marissa

As an American citizen asking for the medical advice of an American doctor or nurse, we have the right to know EVERY option that will help in regards to our health. You don't have to perform the abortion, but you have to tell me who can. As Aileen said, your patients come first -- religion second. Get over it.

2. Thomas J McCarthy

To Aileen: It is God FIRST and foremost!!! The GREAT FIRST commandment is to LOVE GOD with all your heart, soul, and mind. Then comes the SECOND, i.e., to love your NEIGHBOR as yourself!!!
    God first, neighbor second!!! When you put your neighbor first, you just might forget about God.

If you are an atheist Aileen, then obviously what you wrote would make sense (but not to me).

To Winston: You are correct in correcting me. My anger over pro-life issues gets to my senses. But I do pray for these people and think that the church should start with withholding the Eucharist if they voted for Obama on pro-choice issues. Then let them make their free will decision as to whether they agree with our beliefs or not. But thanks for making me come to my senses.

Tom

3. Kimberley

It makes me afraid as a nurse with two daughters who are training to be nurses we are being forced to kill another human. We all read an oath when we enter nursing and no where does it say we kill another human. I wonder how many other occupations would be willing to go about their daily work and kill a child as part of it. We cannot stand for this and it must be stopped.

4. Laurie

Aileen, your argument is so very basic. Do all stores have to provide every product out there or do they have to sell what they feel is sellable and up to their standards? Surely a Christian store should not have to sell items of the Satanic nature. A doctor is there to save people's lives. They did not take an oath to kill people.

This whole thing is suppose to be about choice, where is the choice of the doctor? Your side is so hypocrital. The only choice is your choice. Does that seem fair? Some of us choose to believe that this is a child and it goes against everything that makes up our beliefs. I am sorry that your answer is so simplistic in nature and you can not appreciate that a doctor or nurse who wants to save lives would be uncomfortable performing such a procedure.

5. Winston Cannon

Thomas, I agree with you 100% and I admire your courage. All Catholics should be willing to fight for our freedoms and our rights. However, I feel that we should forgive the misguided catholics (I'm using the lower case "c") who voted form him knowing well that he was an abortionist. We should ask them to join the fight rather than thrown them out of Holy Mother Church. We should also ask Almighty God to guide them and cure their blindness as apparently they can't see the TRUTH. I bet most of them would not make the same mistake again. I can't see how a Catholic could ever vote for an abortionist politician - at any level - even for City Council, much less the Presidency. When every Catholic in our country realizes this, the abortionists politician will disappear from the political arena. We Catholic don't realize the power we have in this great nation of ours. All Christians must unite in the fight to protect the unborn, regardless of denomination.

6. Aileen

You are a doctor and a nurse first when you are with your patients, your religion second. Learn to separate the two. If you don't like it leave the medical profession.

7. Peggy

He has no respect for the conscience of another> Is he without a conscience. His hatred for women, children and anyone outside his immediate family is very very troubling. Is there no human life he has respect for? It's time to make this man answer to some very tough questions regarding his abortion stance. I thought this was alll above his pay grade. Well, he's right! He is without a clue as to what is of value. Pray for him. Pray for us. In some strange way, this may be the end of abortion as we have come to know it.

8. Joseph

The fundamental freedom of conscience is at stake, the very bedrock and essence of democracy. The secular progressives, with Obama at their head, fully intend, through their fanatical (there is no other word for it) pursuit of politically correct liberal policies, to destroy the very spirit of the American Constitution and lay waste the right of all men and women to appeal to their free conscience. And this is only the start.

This onslaught against traditional rights and freedoms will gather momentum under this President and we must, all of us, take up our posts in the ranks of the army of the Faithful, each of us fully aware of the implacable nature of our enemies. May God give us the grace and the wisdom to see truly, and to act justly in the defence of everything we hold most dear.

9. Melissa

I'm with you all the way, Jerry. My first thought as I was reading this was, "Where's Doug Kmiec now?"

10. Thomas J. McCarthy

I am currently in a Nursing program in New York. I told the Catholic radio station on XM satellite that if they pass this act that I would go to jail before I do what they want me to do!!! Our freedoms are being taken away from us people. And BILL said it right, we need to stand up now and if a civil war, of a kind, is necessary; so be it. I also agree that 54% of Catholics (of should I called them catholics with a lower case "c") voted for Obama and should be thrown out. Let them start their own church.