Vatican's Archbishop Burke, No Communion for Catholic Politicians who Support Abortion Comments

"A Catholic who publicly, and after admonition, supports pro-abortion legislation is not to receive Holy Communion and is not to be given Holy Communion." Continue Reading

1. Paul W. Primavera

Joe Rothengast,

AMEN! You exactly right!

2. Julie Leber

Amen, Archbishop Burke! I am also from St. Louis and want to thank you for continuing to lift St. Louis up in prayer. I believe it is time for the bishops of these politicians to be spoken to directly from Pope Benedict! As you mentioned, when you've spoken to people directly they have not come forward for the Eucharist, I hope that if our clerical leadership was directly spoken to by the pope they would act justly and with mercy and refuse these politicians for their souls sake. If not, maybe some bishops need to retire sooner rather than later as they cause greater scandal than these politicians!!!

3. Joe Rothengast

This should also be directed at all Catholics who support these Pro-abortion candidates since they allow it to continue. This applies to those who voted for Obama knowing that he would push for abortion of all types and embryonic stem cell research. People are responsible to educate themselves and others regarding the scantity of life from conception to natural death! It is NOT a matter of personal choice.

4. Patricia Viamontes

Hello from St Louis, Archbishop Burke! We miss you! I agree with what you have written...here,we are actively trying to block the
    Freedom of Choice Bill. You are always guiding us and we pray for you every day.

5. William L. Bailey

Peggy II -

My parish priests supports the platform too.

I made an inroad two weeks ago. Knowing he's a smoker I told him that I'm all for him if he tries, that I was a 25-pack-year (a pack a day for 25 years) smoker and took a class at a local Catholic hospital. I described the quitting smoking class a little and said that 2 months after the class I was able to stop. I also said the doc told my 9-year-old daughter before my 20-years-ago quadruple bypass that I had a 75% likelihood of dying on the table, and told Fr. that if I hadn't stopped smoking 15 years before the operation that smoking would have done me in.

Next week he did a first, waving hello as I sent into church. It was the old chastise your neighbor and if he accepts it he regards you to be his friend.

An amazing sermon ensued. He talked at Mass about a nurse doing a lot of work in South Africa and how Fr. couldn't keep up with her rounds. He praised a person, like that nurse, who stretches another's limits. Given his friendly greeting before Mass I figure he had in mind my urging him beyond smoking.

Good will is currently gained. Who knows the next step. I may have to wait for a smoking progress report. It's got him caring more about himself

I suppose like feeding starving inhabitants before you teach them catechism, getting Fr. over a main concern of his will make his accepting church teaching more likely. Taking the thorn out of the lion's paw.

6. Michael Wellen

This article makes a good point, particularly since politicians have power behind their words. The commenteers go to far in saying we need to get new priests. Don't we have a priest shortage already? Yes, they should follow papal decrees, but the good of providing the Eucharist greatly outweighs the bad of people dooming their own souls by coming up to communion.

7. WP GJ

Great News! I'm so glad the church is clarifying and unifying our Church to defend unborn Life. Fantastic!

8. yvonne

I guess you don't post different viewpoints. I guess you only post comments that you agree completely with, even though you have a disclaimer that the comments do not reflect the opinion or views of Catholic Online

9. Joseph R. Provost

This has gone far enough. I applaud Archbishop Burke for his understanding of the true meaning of the Holy Eucharist. If only our Bishops and Priests follwed the Catechism, Holy Scriptures and the Code of Canon Law. If only those Clergy who continue to distribute Holy Communion understood fully the gravity of the sin, and that they were actually protecting the soul of the sinner, then would the Church flourish in these matters. One must have allegiance to the Holy Father and to the teachings of Christ, or one should not be a member of the Catholic Priesthood!

10. Peggy

What about lay people that voted Obama, knowing full well his position of abortion? As a
    Eucharistic Minister" what do I do when that person comes to me for the Eucharist? (Not to mention my own priest supports the democratic party platform!)