Vatican's Archbishop Burke, No Communion for Catholic Politicians who Support Abortion Comments

"A Catholic who publicly, and after admonition, supports pro-abortion legislation is not to receive Holy Communion and is not to be given Holy Communion." Continue Reading

1. Ted

I agree with the Church as I should always do. The teaching of the Church is that of the Lord and His apostles, handed down to us today, with modern allowances and restrictions added as necessary. These can be added because of Christ's words "Whatever you allow on earth will be allowed in Heaven, and whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in Heaven". Sometimes we take our faith and our religion as a personal matter rather than as a church community, and it's important to remember that to belong to that community we must abide by certain rules and principles, just like any organization is bound to. I support you Bishop Burke, and hope that others will realize the authority with which you speak.

2. Christine II

Veapdx:
    Whewww..I really got worried when I saw your post. Apparently there are 2 Christine's so I named myself Christine II in this one. I didn't think you were referring to one of my posts but looked to make sure--thank God it wasn't something of mine taken out of context. Instead it was referring to another Christine's and I agree with your response. It is the duty of all Christians to accept the Body and Blood of Christ in the state of Grace. I agree with any priest who denies communion to those he knows are not in such grace.Yes, it is true there are a number of people not in the state of grace who receive but that is because their state is not known to the priest. It is on their conscience. But it is on the priest's conscience if he knows and simply offers it.

Sadly, communion lines are much longer than confession lines, evidence that people feel themselves perfectly worthy of receiving Jesus. I will never feel worthy of course. It is God's mercy that deems us worthy BUT if we properly confess to a priest and are absolved. Confession and my will to avoid sin ensures me I am doing what I have in my power to make myself properly prepared to receive God. My question is, why wouldn't you want to do that for Jesus? People go through exhausting preparation and expense to marry someone, to host the holidays, or even to go on a date, to make yourself and the event the best it can be. For things so trivial is that, you spend so much time in preparation. Why is not that way for God. Why shouldn't each and every one of us feel we need to be the best we can be spiritually before accepting the Eucharist? God had Jesus become one of us in every way except sin to suffer and die so we may attain Heaven and be with God eternally. And knowing we are sinful in nature, he gave us the gift of redemption through CHrist and through the sacrament of reconciliation.

The least we can do is accept the Lord's gift and use it as much as we can, not throw it back unwanted in His face. Would you do that to a kind guest bearing a gift at your party?

3. John merritt

Archbishop Burke is a hero to me. One of many good Bishops. Pray for them all!

Some need it more than others to be sure.

4. veapdx

Who moderates this blog?

Dear Christine, you say "Nothing bad happens when someone received the Body of Christ..."

The following is a direct excerpt cut n' pasted from catholic.com (which took me about 30 seconds to find) I hope it is self-explanatory.

"Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup" (1 Cor. 11:2728). This is an absolute requirement which can never be dispensed. To receive the Eucharist without sanctifying grace in your soul profanes the Eucharist in the most grievous manner.

A mortal sin is any sin whose matter is grave and which has been committed willfully and with knowledge of its seriousness. Grave matter includes, but is not limited to, murder, receiving or participating in an abortion, homosexual acts, having sexual intercourse outside of marriage or in an invalid marriage, and deliberately engaging in impure thoughts (Matt. 5:2829). Scripture contains lists of mortal sins (for example, 1 Cor. 6:910 and Gal. 5:1921). For further information on what constitutes a mortal sin, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

-------------------------
    In addition, a quick look through the Catechism also explains the meaning of Sacrilege (CCC 2120) "Sacrilege consist in profaning or treating unworthily the sacraments and other liturgical actions, as well as persons, things of places consecrated God. Sacrilege is a grave sin especially when committed against the Eucharist, for in this sacrament the true Body of Christ is made substantially present for us.
    ---------------------------
    For further understanding, Christine, I suggest reading "The Power of the Eucharist".

5. Stephen

Yes, Archbishop Burke! You are absolutely correct and thanks be to God that you are defending the sanctity of our dear Lord's Most Precious Body & Blood!

6. Sr. Joanna Romany

AMEN to that! Let us pray for all our priests and bishops.

7. 5 years ago

I believe that our problem with our church, starts with our Bishops.
    People follow strong leaders.
    The U. S. Bishops have ALLOWED excesses. They are afraid of loosing attendance. They are afraid of political back lash.

The have allowed the removal of the Tabernacle from the main body of the Church, the removal of the Crucified Christ for many other versions. I could go on BUT the majority of good Catholic Christians will follow good Catholic Priests.

8. Christine

It is terrible that someone may misuse communion to support their political objectives. But we should not judge or deny Jesus to anyone who seeks him. Yes, confront someone but we can never know what is in someone's heart. If we see someone receiving Communion who openly opposes abortion, let's all take this as an invitation to pray even more for that person. Nothing bad happens when someone receives the Body of Christ even if they fail to realize how fortunate they are.

9. Bill Purcell

All the more reason to understand that these politicians choose fame and prestige over true christanity the change has to come from within (God or mammon) but we as catholics have to uphold our standards for our sake and their's.

10. Christine

It is unbelievable the number of people who are emerging that are so vehemently and proudly pro-abortion in our own church. They are arrogant about it. I try to tell them, if you are Catholic, you are supposed to be a member of faith because you know it is the truth and the true faith, and that includes Scripture and Tradition. If someone does not accept all of that, why do they remain in the religion. What is the point of belonging to a religion you really don't trust as the truth and believe in. It saddens me as never before. I was ignorant at one time and took years to educate myself on my faith and the more I learned, the more I understood, the more I loved and it, and above all, the more I knew the absolute truth it upholds. I hope and pray our fellow Catholics take the time to educate themselves and pray and develop their spirit and perhaps see that if you really feed on the Word and the Eucharist you will know you cannot support anyone who facilitates abortion. God gave humanity the gift of procreation, and as God created life from the beginning from just a Word, so life begins at conception. Can anyone deny what is written in our Bible that God chose us before we were ever born. I think before anyone can have an abortion, they must watch one, and then tell me they truly believe they did not end a life. We are supposed to protect the "least" of God's...who is more least than the unborn. So I will speak out and fight as hard as I can and pray that my brothers and sisters will join me and we can all stand together before our Lord and embrace Him and all his little ones in our Heavenly Kingdom.