Decree of Excommunication of SSPX Bishops Lifted Comments

It is hoped that this step be followed by the prompt accomplishment of full communion with the Church of the entire Fraternity of Saint Pius X. Continue Reading

1. Michael D. Villegas

What Pope John Paul II did was politically dangerous in 1988 and I thank his successor, Benedict XVI from lifting the excommunication. There are good SSPX priests that taught me my Catholic Faith. When I was in the Life Teen Ministry, I was neither taught dogma or anything... but the SSPX taught me how to behave at Mass, how to dress properly, how to even address a bishop. I thank Benedict XVI and the late Cardinal Alfons Stickler for their efforts in saying that the SSPX were never schismatic to begin with. I thank our Blessed Mother for answering the prayers of millions of rosaries offered to Her... I'm happy that I was alive to see this happen...

2. mwm

The lifting of the excommunication has nothing to do with a particular persons view on the holocaust. Should the Church not have dealt more harshly with those American Bishops who openly opposed Rome on artificial contraception?

3. Joe

There is much news currently unreported on catholic.org concerning the reinstatement of British Bishop Williamson, who denies the Jewish holocoust occurred and the painful outrage that his reinstatement has among the Jewish community. Where is the reporting of this aspect of this story? It seems to be a significant wrinkle?

4. Max

@Mary TFSC:"I remind that the media despises legitimate authority - and there is no authority more legitimate than Rome?"

Yes- it's known as an elected government. This Pope is undoing any good the Church accomplished since WWII's end. Never mind- I suppose you have to replace what numbers you've been losing over the years, and will continue to.

5. Er

To Jesus Christ, all praise! As he promised, he will keep his Church alive until he comes. Welcome back our separated brethren, to the glory of God in the Catholic Church!

6. Bin

May GOD Be Praised By All, Everywhere, At All Times!

It is quite obvious, dear Stephen Poverello, Vatican II was inspired by the HOLY SPIRIT, WHO is always guiding the Church. Hence your remark of 'pus of Vatican II', I trust is due to ignorance of authentic knowledge of Vatican II. I presume it is from your inference about the various talks/discussions or permissiveness that seems to be blamed on Vatican II, that is the root cause of your remarks. I would strongly advocate that you read the entire Vatican II, to understand how it is inspired by the HOLY SPIRIT (GOD HIMSELF), rather than rely on incidents/actions of the people of the Church.

I can say one thing for certain, the Muslims today face a great schism and anarchy, if they do not adopt measures that the Church has adopted (inspired by the HOLY SPIRIT). The world will soon come to know of this (the hard way).

Regarding the SSPX, I have great hope, that they will see the Light, for there has never been (you can examine history) any movement (however clear their consciences/objections are), that has survived after defying the Pope. I have been to some websites of SSPX members and was let down by their view of Pope John Paul II (the Great!) and also of Pope Benedict XVI (the Greater!). Infact visiting their websites had given insight into how blind people could become when they are in opposition to the Church. May GOD lead them into the Church to embrace it and to recognise the HOLY SPIRIT that leads the Church, which maybe above the human intelligence to grasp.

Regarding the 'invalidity' of the excommunications, they were never invalid - not for you or me to decide - rather for the Church and the Pope to decide, being led by the HOLY SPIRIT HIMSELF. Let us not try to be 'infallible' or we'd end up fighting GOD HIMSELF.

GOD Bless!

7. Fr Odhran Mary TFSC

This is good news. A door is opened and I pray that the Society walks through the door. One comment spoke of the "media," and I remind that the media despises legitimate authority - and there is no authority more ligitimate than Rome?

8. Stephen Poverello

I am pleaqsed with the lifting of the "excommunications" even though they were invalid. Their is a lot of Doctrinal work now to be done and a lot of the pus from Vatican II will need to be buried in the future

9. Tim

Too bad the media are only reporting Bishop Williamson's stupid remarks about the Holocaust. This whole thing is being spun as the "Pope reconciling with an anti-Jewish bishop. See Time magazine:
    http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1873855,00.html?cnn=yes . There is a lot more to this than that! I hope it means the Lefebvrites are going to accept Vatican II finally.

10. Holly

May God watch over His church at this time and in all times.

May God rescind the division in His Church.

May we all love and pray for each other as He intended.