Letter from Bishop John Ricard to Senator Joseph Biden Comments

Human life is to be respected from the moment of conception until natural death. Continue Reading

1. Ralph

Valerie in Portland, I just have to correct one thing you said. I'm assuming that you are a member of the laity. If you are the bishop of your diocese, please risregard my comment.

However, as a member of the laity, you do not have the authority to deny Holy Communion to anyone without the direction of your bishop. The bishop is in charge of his diocese and is ultimately responsible before God for his decisions. Personally, I voted for McCain, I applaud our bishops who have stood up to the pro-abortion movement, and I think it is pathetic that Sen. Biden continues to proclaim his support for abortion while at the same time calling himself Catholic. Yet, that does not change the fact that we as the laity are to be obedient to our bishops, especially as it regards the liturgy.

2. Braquo

pls senator biden.. listen to the bishop.. be a catholic faith based vp elect.. protect the innocent... amen

3. Valerie in Portland

Every word and line of this letter gave me hope, until the last sentence. I am curious if VP elect Joe Biden read it the same way I did, discounting everything said before it, because in the end, he is "welcome". I applaud the effort, but is is enough? If Joe Biden came to receive Holy Communion from me, I would have no problem denying it, and let him prove his worthiness to receive it.

4. jimmy

Biden is just a politician and about honor and glory on earth. He does not really care about his religious belief and what comes after life.

5. Mauricio Martinez

This letter does not sound like an urgent request but a gentle reprimand with an invitation to return as soon as possible.

This is exactly the letter that Catholics who voted for Barack Obama because of his stand on the economy want to read.

Once they do, they'll push it into my hands and say: "See, I told you it wasn't a big deal. That Bishop Chaput guy is just an extremist - you know, the one that suggested to Joe Biden that he refrain from Holy Communion."

Our church is very, very weak. This election has demonstrated it.

6. Julia Amateis

I didn't hear any chastisment. I also cant believe that Biden thinks he's a catholic and associates with obama. I am a catholic, and that has made me rethink my religion. I have been profoundly depressed with the election results, and to imagine that a "fellow Catholic" is fine with obama has me very confused about alot of things.

7. Joanne

Good letter. I hope there is follow up from Sen. Biden and would like to read his response. I fail to understand why these abortion supporting Catholic Democrats put their party's platform ahead of moral teaching. "What profit does a man show who gains the whole world but loses his immortal soul?" Mark 8: 36.

8. Sport

9. Thomas

10. Teresa

I heard a warning - that of a true Shepherd reaching out to a lost sheep. It's time. And, at least 60 of our bishops know it.