Letter from Bishop John Ricard to Senator Joseph Biden Comments

Human life is to be respected from the moment of conception until natural death. Continue Reading

1. Deidra Riedel

I feel as a Catholic Christian we have become lazy and lax in our everyday Christian lives and have forgotten what being a true Christian is. I pray I am wrong everyday, but maybe what is happening now is GODs way of saying I tried to get you to come to me but you insist on doing things your own way. Maybe this will wake you up. I wholeheartedly disagree with our president elects views on abortion and infantcide, but I don't judge him for he will be judged as will we all by a higher power on judgement day. The world we live in is full of false Christians but I pray for them as well that they may see the "light" before it is too late.Perhaps if we all got together as a nation under GOD and prayed for President elect Obama GOD will help him guide our Country the right way.

2. Rose Ann Kaiser

Does Bishop Ricard give the same admonishment to Catholic persons who support the illegal,unjust, and immoral war in Iraq that has resulted in thousands of innocent deaths, rapes of women and children, hunger, loss of health care, maimings and torture?

3. Helen

I disagree that we should be unquestioningly obedient to our bishops. If the bishop is wrong, if my conscience tells me that he is wrong, there is no way I will be obedient to him. I will be obedient to God, who forms my conscience. Unfortunately, some bishops and priests today are leading the laity astray.

Bishop Ricard's letter is encouraging. More and more bishops seem to be standing up to "Catholic" politicians who support abortion. Cardinal Ratzinger said that supporting abortion is grounds for excommunication.

4. sandy slater

It is very difficult to try to understand how another's mind can hold the sacrifice of babies as a die-hard goal for this country, the "land of the free and the home of the brave". It is grievously wrong. I would like to invite all politicians of this mindset to ponder on those pictures that Priests for Life have posted on their website as well as The Center for Bio-ethical Reform has done on their website and ask them, "Is this what you mean?" "Is this what you mean by a woman's choice" or whatever other slogan you voice? How does this bring our fellow men who call themselves Christian together? We must repent for fear of losing our souls.

5. Wilfrid Desrosiers

Bishop Ricard should be commended
    for his courage in defending the human to be born. He follows John The Baptist who stood firm
    for what is right.Congratulations!

6. JOSE THOMAS

The message by the Bishop is very clear and unambigous. Hope Senator Biden would respond proactively.

7. Eddie

Mr V.P.

It's very easy to hide behind the line, "I can't impose my faith upon others". Let me suggest to you that this is not just a matter of faith. It is a matter of science. Biologists, both faithful and atheistic, recognize when life begins. Life begins at conception. Every other "starting point" is arbitrary.

The question is, are you truly a man of integrity that will stand up and fight for the unborn, even when it is not the party platform, or a man that will mask his true disdain for unborn human life by hiding behind the false argument that this is just a matter of faith?

8. Wes Lisitza

Considering that we have laity who serve as Eucharistic ministers, I think it a fair assessment of Valerie in Portland to say that she would deny Joe Biden the Eucharist.

How many of go to mass and refuse the Eucharist in order to receive a blessing because we haven't been to confession prior? We can stand and belittle Joe Biden, or the bishops of the Catholic Church, but do we really practice the medicine we prescribe to others? I haven't received the Eucharist in two weeks because my schedule has been in the way of me attending Confession before mass. I have sins to confess, and I'd rather those sins be destroyed than for the Eucharist to condemn me. St. Paul makes specific this information in his epistle, and it has stood as church teaching. We have to apply this to all in the church in order for it apply to the few and more prominent.

I welcome Joe Biden to my church (although I voted for McCain on the Pro-Life issue). But Joe has to attend confession for his stance on abortion and attend some classes regarding the Catechism before I'll let him take the Eucharist. It is in the interest of protecting his soul that I offer this, because I see someone who is willfully hurting himself every time he takes the Eucharist with unconfessed sin. Unfortunately, he is singled out because he is so prominent. Pray for each other, Brothers and Sisters.

God Bless.

9. james s

I was born a Catholic and have remained faithful to the church for a long time. But it is becoming clear that the Catholic Church avoids taking confrontal stance even when it needs to. If bishops do not have the courage to stand for what God wants them to do, how can they ever motivate the laity. Dwindling church attendances should already tell the Catholic church what is missing. The catholic church excommunication of Biden and Pelosi will be the first sign that the US Catholic church understands the major tasks it has to do.

10. Art

This is a very important message that we, as One Church, should be sending to all our politicians. We must focus on defending life in every corner of this country. Every bishop should do the same thing!