OPINION: Doug Kmiec’s ‘Can a Catholic Support Him?’ Asks the Wrong Question Comments

Doug Kmiec asks the wrong question. The proper question is not “can” but “should”. The word “can” addresses the issue of capacity and ability. “Should” examines the morality of that choice, what is our duty? Continue Reading

1. Dr. John Damai

Jim Joans, if you think abortion is just a matter of state, may I recommend you staying off the crack. 95% of our doctors in the U.S. are against abortion and that should tell you something. Just as the arrogant mentality of the democratic party was in favor of slavery during the civil war, they doubt human life exists at conception because democrats arte too lazy to research for facts. Instead they rather whine about everything and believe in the myths they create.

2. John Paul Welther

I am a Catholic and I could not vote for Oboma. When I looked beyond what the news reported, when I looked into his voting record and a previous speeches, I felt that he was far from the man that was being portrayed on television.

Also, while i am opposed to the Death Penalty in 2005 it only killed 57 people. As a result i feel it should not take priority over abortion (which I am assuming killed more then 57 babies in 2005).
    the Death Penalty numbers came from here http://www.nsc.org/research/odds.aspx

3. Heather

As a church that is at the forefront of the pro-life movement, I am surprised at your comments that support a man who said that he would never allow his two girls to be "punished with a child". I'd rather vote for a President who, at the very least, unabashedly proclaims his belief in every human life.
    Perhaps, American Roman Catholics could listen to their Holy Father, who could never vote for a Barack Obama who promises to support abortionists.
    I voted for George W. Bush twice, and would be proud to do it again.

4. Jim Jones

Are we supposed to support candidates that are in favor of the death penalty, wars of aggression, and torture? I pray that the Catholic Church continues to focus more on spiritual guidance and less on matters of state.

5. Anonymous

I prayed a rosary on my way to the polls for early voting, reflecting on Christ's sorrowful mysteries. This discernment process has been challenging for me and my family to say the least, as there has been much painful conflict among family and friends over who to support. Not once in my discernment have I questioned at what point life begins, nor questioned whether killing babies was "allowable." I am convinced abortion is wrong...because of my own experiences of God, I have a profound understanding of the sanctity of every life.
    When I got to the polls, I was taken aback seeing hundreds of people, seniors litterally struggling out of their cars because of some disability or ailment, homeless people, pregnant mothers, Latino, African American and Anglo, ready to stand in line for two hours to proudly cast their vote.
    When I got to the line and saw for whom the majority of those poor and sickly people were voting, I felt in my heart, "I am standing with the right people." According to the Gospels and to our beautiful Catholic Tradition, Jesus spent most of his time with the poor and marginalized. In a time when it seems like the poor and marginalized have been forgotten, I feel I have a moral responsibility to stand with them... knowing that regardless of who I vote for, I will continue to work for the protection of all human life. I believe that mothers are the best advocates for their unborn children. So long as our society continues to allow them to slip through the cracks, regardless of what the law says, they will continue to make wrong choices because of fear and desperation. So I strongly support common ground initiatives that provide social support to mothers and their unborn babies.
    At the beginning of these elections the US Bishops wrote a joint statement that told me to seriosly consider the issues and form my conscience. To the best of my ability I have. I voted for Barack Obama during in this election.

6. Olivia Jane

It is unfortunate that Americans don't recognize that G.W. Bush gave his approval to the morning after pill! Voting Republican does not make you a Catholic or Christian. Respect all life..including the unborn (What about the thousands of babies inhumanely discarded in in-vitro clinics annually? Us Catholics avoid that battle), the thousands of lives that have been lost in a senseless war and more. My vote is for Obama and a kinder gentler society.

7. khuong

GAIL TALK

Tuesday, September 16, 2008
    HIS RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!

I saw Abortion Survivor Gianna Jessen on Hannity and Colmes last night and
    was amazed at her story. This morning I visited her website,
    http://bornalivetruth.org/, some of which I share below with you:

“Can you imagine not giving babies their basic human rights, no matter how
    they entered our world? My name is Gianna Jessen, born 31 years ago after
    a failed abortion. I’m a survivor, as are many others…but if Barack Obama
    had his way, I wouldn’t be here.”

“Unfortunately, Barack Obama voted four times against affording these
    babies their most basic human right. I have serious concerns about Senator
    Obama’s record and views on this issue, given he voted against these
    protections four times as a state Senator. Just as abuse victims share
    their stories to educate the public, fight for the common good and hope
    that as a result politicians do what’s right, I felt it was important to
    come forward and give these new born babies a voice.”

“I am living proof these babies have a right to live, and I invite you to
    learn more about Senator Obama’s record on this important issue.” -
    Abortion Survivor Gianna Jessen

Recently I heard Jill Stanek being interviewed and her story is
    astonishing. She is a nurse who held a live baby for 45 minutes after an
    abortion. She found the baby alive in a soiled linen closet, left to die
    alone and untreated.

I urge you to visit Jill Stanek’s website. You can see for yourself
    then-state Senator Barack Obama's votes and state senate floor speeches on
    IL's Born Alive Infant Protection Act.

You will see links to bills Obama voted on which show that he was against
    calling the baby an infant, referred to the live baby as a fetus, and was
    against calling for a doctor for the fetus because that would threaten the
    mother's choice in Roe v. Wade. You will see he voted against an Illinois
    Born-Alive Infant Protection Act. In addition, he was the ONLY senator to
    vote against care for a baby born alive as the result of a botched
    abortion.

Now Obama states he is against partial birth abortion, but let's remember
    Obama’s response to Pastor Rick Warren’s question at the Saddleback Forum:

Pastor Rick Warren: "At what point does a baby get human rights, in your
    view?

"Barack Obama "...answering that question with specificity... uh... you
    know is, is... uh... above my pay grade."

If he can't answer that question, shouldn't he err on the side of life?

I understand there are differing views in our country about abortion.
    Current technology allows us to see ultrasounds of babies in the womb,
    sometimes kicking and thumb sucking. Have you seen them? Has Obama seen
    them? Where does he stand today? His record speaks for itself!

8. Carlos Poblet

The outcome of this election will be determine by the sincere love that we have for our country. The leaders of our country are not our enemies, even when they make mistakes. Is resentment the reason why we will vote Obama? I hope that we discern. Our deepest feelings influence our perceptions and obscure the Path of Faith, God's Path in History. To really love the country we have to love also the Church, our Church. Yes, it means to love with all that is wrong and move forward. It takes fortitude, character, experience, clarity of vision, conviction and many other virtues. The only power that we have is our morality. We should never divorce it from all else.
    In God's Grace May We Choose!

9. Earl Michels

My first impression of this website after reading Doug Kmiec’s cockeyed ‘Can a Catholic Support Him?’ article, was, "Warn my friends to stay away from this website." What a relief to see the rebuttal above.

It seems like the vote for President is a choice for holding back the moral decline of our country or giving free rein to any immorality the left desires. A vote for some sort of materialistic culture that says if the opportunity comes about, I will be prolife sometimes, or for the culture of death. Much of the Catholic Church's troubles come from contraception whose use is sometimes a mini abortion. If abortion is illegal, it stands to reason that contraception must be illegal also. Further most movies that suggest and advertise immoral situations as delicious would need to be banned. So in general, I don't think our leaders are addressing the real issues.

On another level, my understanding is Sen Obama voted for one law that would allow teaching sex education to kindergardeners. And from Obamas platform and voting history, I know he is a nightmare for our country. Because I believe the platitude that God will bless those who keep His commands and curse those who don't. I'm sick and tired of the curses and hearing too much from those who have illegally dominated my rights to freely practice my religion and express my views. I know how I'm going to vote and I'm not happy about either choice.

I pray that our leaders lead or resign, and I'll pray the daily rosary.

10. Ed Burke

The So-Called Christian Right is also now a complicit sinner because they forgot the words of Jesus.

When asked how we could know what was,'of God', Jesus said, " You Shall Know Them By Their Fruit. Good Trees Bear Good Fruit !"

Yet here we are surrounded by every imaginable Rotten fruit, Wars, Debt, Unemployment, Financial Collapse, Greed, Jack Abrabhoff Corruption, Cronyism, $4.00 Gas prices, devalued Dollar, Stock market on the edge of the Abyss, Anti-Poor attitudes, undermining the Constitution, etc., etc. The So-Called Christians, it seems, are quite blind.

After all of the obvious 'bad fruit' of the Republicans these 8 years we suddenly have a man emerge in only 2 years who is Charismatic, Graduated Harvard Magna c - u - m Laude, spent 8 years in the Illinois State Legislature, as did Abraham Lincoln, and is now a United States Senator. After a single electrifying speech made two years ago, to have any man emerge victorious for the Presidential Nomination of a major Political Party is extraordinary, but for a man with Black Skin to achieve this is nothing short of miraculous in a nation still knee deep in ignorant Bigots. Clearly the Almighty has a hand in this man's success, to have achieved so much, and for Barack Obama to have come from such a humble background.

After these horrible, corrupt, and war filled last 8 years, perhaps the Good Lord has taken pity on the United States, and given us Barack Obama, as once he blessed us with another man of humble beginnings from the Illinois State Legislature, Abraham Lincoln. After all the Lord hears the cry of the poor.

Elect Another Republican ?

Are You Insane ?