Douglas W. Kmiec: Democrats Steps Toward Honoring Life in Their Party Platform Comments

"Having drafted their platform, the Democrats should reopen doors that never should have been shut toward pro-life Democrats." says Doug Kmiec. Continue Reading

1. Frank

Deacon Fournier,
    One must ask why you continue to give a venue to Prof. Kmiec? And you ask us to forward his article to our friends? How naive do you think we are? Let me tell you something. My parents were European immigrants who came to this country seeking a better life. They found support, during the Depression, from the Democratic Party which, under President Roosevelt, helped to alleviate the significant problems with the economy at that time. At that time the Democratic party did care for the poor and down-trodden. Then the party moved to it's support for abortion on demand. It left me and others like me. It is too late now for Party to change. Once you denigrate life, you lose all credibility as a Party who cares for people. Democratic politicians care for no one but themselves and the political contributions they receive from "Planned Parenthood" and other abortion providers. The Republican party may also have it's imperfections, but I will vote Republican because it is the only viable choice we have.

2. elm

Prayer to End Abortion

Lord God, I thank you today for the gift of my life,
    And for the lives of all my brothers and sisters.
    I know there is nothing that destroys more life than abortion,
    Yet I rejoice that you have conquered death
    by the Resurrection of Your Son.
    I am ready to do my part in ending abortion.
    Today I commit myself
    Never to be silent,
    Never to be passive,
    Never to be forgetful of the unborn.
    I commit myself to be active in the pro-life movement,
    And never to stop defending life
    Until all my brothers and sisters are protected,
    And our nation once again becomes
    A nation with liberty and justice
    Not just for some, but for all,
    Through Christ our Lord. Amen!

This prayer is on the Priests for Life site. Pray it daily, put it where you see it often and beg God for Mercy for our country.

Mr Kmeic, when was the last time you laid eyes on a picture of an aborted child? Can you say with the confidence of your salvation that that child in the picture was not important enough to storm the gates of heaven and drive out of office all those who see this child of God as only an inconvenience or a punishment? Do you really believe that those mothers who abort their child because of career or gender or stretch marks will stop aborting them when the Democrats “try” to make abortion safe (for unborn women) legal (as in stopping a beating heart)rare (I don't want to look fat)? Would you care to see Capital punishment abolished? How about torture? Please, work to abolish the death sentence for the unborn who are tortured like no other when they are ripped from their mother’s wombs.

Blessed Mother Teresa, pray for us that we may see the unborn as God sees them in the secret of darkness.

3. Ben

Go ahead Kmiec, print out your piece, and Obama's words that sanction what amounts to infant exposure, hold them in your hand and in your heart when you take the Host next Sunday.

This is a Catholic publication? I am new to the faith and if this is Catholic I am in the wrong pew.

4. Gekkobear

"Barack Obama is a different type of candidate."

Agreed, never before have I heard a candidate take the position that a "failed abortion" where the child was born alive in spite of the doctor; could be killed for failing to die properly when expected. That a child, born alive, still isn't a "person".

Obama, not just pro-abortion, but also pro-baby killing.

Why would catholics oppose that? Is there a law against killing a baby after it is born? Not if Obama has anything to say about it.

Baby killing is a choice, and one Obama won't take away from you.

Obama has personally taken the stance that not only is abortion legal, and a right, but if it fails you still get to kill the baby.

Yep, he's a good choice for anyone worried about the lives of babies. Because once they're dead, you don't have to worry anymore.

Seriously, how much can you distort events before you feel bad about deliberately misstating Obama's positions?

5. Roland

Until Professor Kmiec can get the Democratic Party to promote abstinence/chastity education among the youth in public schools and not just promote pre-natal care and maternity leave, I don't think he's doing much to lower the number of abortions. His solution is much like the liberal's solution re AIDS: instead of focusing on the sexual activity that CAUSES the majority of cases, he focuses on what to do after the fact. Roland

6. Matthew C. Scallon

"Potential mother?" Someone has been drinking heavily from the Obama Kool-Aid, and that someone would be you, sir. There's no such woman as a "potential mother;" once her egg has been fertilized with the father's sperm, she's a mother. Calling her a "potential mother" makes no more sense than claiming that abortion makes her "unpregnant." Abortion makes a mother --not a "potential mother"-- of a dead baby.

There is nothing --and I mean nothing-- in Obama's record that has shown any willingness to work with any pro-lifer on any pro-life issue. If anything, his record has consisted of obstructing every pro-life piece of legislation, be it in Springfield or Washington. He is the same anti-lifer he has always been. He has bowed prostrate before the magisterium of the abortion industry throughout his career, including during the primary. Unless some Demascus road conversion takes place, such nice rhetoric about responsibility of fathers and cowardly endorsements from so-called pro-life Democrats are as meaningless as latter-day support for BAIPA.

7. Jim

How cynical can one be. I'm sure he's aware of all the social supports for a woman with child and poor and ignorant (as long as no husband is present). Is he saying that he would bar abortion from the middle and upper classes? (I'd like to see him get that thru the Senate :). He also ignores that for many poor women childless couples would pay for their pregnancy. Oh well, why even bother to point these things out to him. It's just mindless posturing that might get him something if he sucks up.

8. Magi

Every time I see Dean Kmiec being given column space in a Catholic publication, I want to cancel my subscription. Somehow I don't think many unapologetic pro-life professors appear in the NARAL monthly. He has been trying to push his "other issues matter more" agenda for months.

I'm with Paul, Kmiec seems doing some deep-water fishing for a Supreme Court appointment.

9. So, I guess Mother Teresa was wrong?

During Mother Teresa's visits to the U.S. she repeatedly referred to abortion as the number #1 ill of U.S. society, even though she surely was not blind to the needs of the poor and other social problems Professor Kmeic trumpets in his attempt to downplay the evil of abortion. I guess Mother Teresa just lacked Professor's Kmeic's insight. Or is it that she lacked his lawyerly skills at rationalization? Hmm...

10. Forget it

Thirty years ago, both parties were still divided on the issue or abortion, with the leadership of each, pro-abortion rights. That changed under Reagan. The Republicans remained divided, but the leadership became pro-life. The Democrats, however, became solidly pro-abortion, so that by 2000, there was not a single Democratic leader who was pro-life., not one. You are lying to Catholics who are pro-life. There is no one in the Democratic leadership who is willing to life a finger to reduce the number of abortions. The Republican party is in danger of tilting in the same direction, to return to Gerald Ford "progressivism. You can find many pro-abortion men in McCain's office, but he remains opposed. Obama has made his choice and short of a conversion experience, he will go down the NARAL line.