Doug Kmiec Reaffirms Endorsing Sen. Barack Obama Comments

"To some of my fellow Catholics, Senator Obama's answers on abortion make him categorically unacceptable. I understand that view, respect it, but find it prudentially the second-best answer in 2008." Continue Reading

1. Mary

Per Kemeic's article: "I do not understand Senator Obama to be pro-abortion". Then how do you explain Obama saying this: "look, I've got two daughters. 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby."

2. Teo

I just want to thank the author for having the courage to speak his mind. There are thousands of U.S. Soldiers who have died in Iraq -- and thousands of Iraqis who have died in Iraq -- largely from the actions of the U.S. Government (led by our pro-life GOP president).

Abortion is very complicated. Catholicism teaches that it's not complicated -- it's wrong in every instance -- but in society, we make laws and interpret laws beyond what the church teaches us. We're not a theocracy.

Obama correctly acknowledges the complexity of abortion. Those on the right use the issue solely to drum up votes. If they truly were convinced of its wrong, they would favor criminalizing the conduct of abortion (i.e. the women who had abortions would be prosecuted for homicide). As the professor notes, however, those on the right merely want the issue to return to the states. This is hardly a strong commitment to life.

3. jay

I am pro life, but disgusted with the once every four years antics of the republican Party. Then the elections are over, and under the bus we go. What is most troubling for me is those who claim to be pro-life, and then re-state that they are not against abortion just federally funded abortion. Isn't that more about money than life?

4. A.J. Huber

95,000 civilians/soldiers have died in Iraq.
    1.37 million babies are aborted in the U.S. each year.
    42 people were killed by the death penalty in the U.S. in 2007.
    Global warming is predicted to increase 5-10 degrees Celsius by the end of the century which will cause massive flooding, make the middle half of the Earth unlivable, and displace/kill millions.

The way I see it, neither party really cares about life all the time, and I admire Prof. Kmiec for his willingness to print an article he knows will result in people calling him a blind, Kool-Aid drinking, satanic false Catholic whose brain has fallen out. Honestly, why can't people have a polite discussion?

5. Jan P. Dennis

What if Prof. Kmiec had been alive during the 1850s and 1860s. Would he have approached the slavery issue with the same duplicity and hand-wringing that he approaches abortion? Slavery was an abominable moral. The solution for the country was its abolition. Abortion is also an abominable moral evil. The solution for the country is its abolition. Nothing less. How foolish it would have been for persons of conscience to follow a policy of "reducing the number of instances of slavery," etc. The societal cure for the moral abomination of slavery was its eradication. The same holds true for abortion. Arguing for anything less is morally repugnant.

6. Wes Lisitza

I think it important to point out that the Catholic Church is full of sinners. I can no more denounce you your place within our ranks than I can myself. But the church is a place where we meet to make reparations.

I don't know many Catholic young people who have remained chaste to their convictions to abstain from sex before marriage. I myself was one of them at one time (I'll admit). True, there may be some, but my point is that to be a sinner and repent is one thing. To be one who continually sins without remorse is in jeopardy of not caring about the direction of his life. Senator Obama is an individual I associate with the latter, who not only endorses a form of sin and trauma to an individual, but is actively working to broaden its scope and gray its respective positions (“Pro-Choice” is “Pro-Abortion”, no matter how you look at it).

Obama is first and foremost a lawyer, and most lawyers play their role regardless of their moral convictions. His position on abortion has been consistent, going so far as to tear down barriers that prevent the abortion of partially born babies. My mother, when she was in nursing school in the 70s, was put in a room in the hospital to observe a partial birth abortion occurring, without her foreknowledge of the events to take place. Speaking to her today about it is almost like speaking to a war veteran who has seen the worst side of humanity. True that knocking the issue out of the federal ring would push it into the state arena, but isn’t this the same issue in regards to gay marriage? Wouldn’t it be better for the states to define what they believe, rather than be straddled with a National Healthcare system that is funded by our own taxes that permits people to obtain abortions as casually as a routine check-up? I shudder at the realization that my tax dollars will fund something I detest. It’s not so easy to view this like you, Doug. I may be a sinner, but I’m not the devil’s marketing department.

7. Megan

Thank you for the thoughtful article.

8. Al Jirak

Are you kidding me? This guy argued in the Illinois State Senate against the BORN-ALIVE INFANTS ACT. Not just voted against it, but spoke out against it. How can you trust a person to lead the country that has such a fundamental issue wrong. Supporting abortion in the 4th trimester is not good judgment.

9. fRANCIS J. GILLEN,MD

PROFESSOR KMIEC GIVES SCANDAL. I HAVE ADMIRED HIS WELL-REASONED WRITINGS AND CAREER, SO MY SHOCK. THE FORMER THOMAS MOORE PROFESSOR IS WELL VERSED IN KEEPING THE TENANTS OF OUR FAITH.COMMUNION SHOULD BE DENIED AND THE CARDINAL REPRIMANDED BY THE POPE. I WILL PRAY FOR BOTH.

10. Appalled at Kmiec

I am a single Catholic woman and I am celibate. but I don't expect others - especially non-Catholics to be.

However there is a BIG difference between that "crime against the church" and MURDERING a viable child.

While I believe life begins at conception - and so do most parents who WANT their children, I do think that everyone is so concerned about claims of "slippery slopes" that they do NOTHING to protect children who can live outside the womb.

So REAL practicing Catholics believe life begins at conception; that does not have to be the law. But if society would define when life ends and "flip it" it would be a reasonable accommodation. Meaning if we consider life ended when heart and brain stop functioning (not just pulsing on a machine) then we should define the start of life the same way- a beating heart and brain waves.
    This would accommodate almost every case of "rape or incest" - what now are million women a year going to claim that they were held hostage for the first 10 wks?

But back to this post - to see NO DIFFERENCE between Nancy Pelosi - who has decided that SHE can publicly "teach" in the name of the Catholic Church - when she should have been excommunicated decades ago....or BHusseinObama can support not only pulling babies heads out of their mothers, stabbing them in the head, sucking out their brains and pulling out their maybe-maybe not still alive bodies and then deny them comfort and care and YOU SEE NO DIFFERENCE.

Who ever mention Hitler and Mengela(sp?) could have lumped y'all with them.