Los Angeles home for unwed mothers now a family center to address ‘the bigger picture’ Comments

LOS ANGELES, CA (The Tidings) - A century ago, when the Ford Motor Company first introduced its classic Model T touring car and before women’s suffrage, St. Anne’s maternity home for unwed pregnant women was founded by Bishop Thomas Conaty in Los Angeles. Continue Reading

1. Candice

I was born at St Anne's in 1972. My mother was 17 years old when she got pregnant and my grandmother kicked her out of the house. Under age, no place to go, St. Anne's was a refuge. They gave her a place to stay, helped her finish High School, and gave her a second chance.

Thank you St. Anne's for helping young women in need, at a very scary time in their young lives.

My prayers go out to all searching for answers.

2. Nancy Jane GORE GERVAIS

I am looking for my daughter who was born on May 30 1967 at ST Anne's home for unwed mothers. I gave her the name of angela christina .

3. Elsie Whittle

My Mother gave birth to a baby girl on October 7, 1935 and I have just found out that I have a another sister. I know she was in a home for unwed mothers and was hoping maybe it would be your home. My Mother's name was Lillian Prudence Donovan and she named the little girl Sharlene Dee. I believe her Doctor's name was something like Dr. Tollefson. I would appreciate any information you might have or could suggest the names of other homes available during 1935.
    Thank you for all your help.

Elsie Whittle

4. Hyacinth Washington Johnson

I gave bith to a baby girl on december 15 1987. I named her Sara Washington, I think that the adoptive parents kept the name Sara, it was an open adoption. I was 16 at the time and through lifes trails I lost contact. 1989 was the last time I recieved any pictures. Sara was born at Queen of Angels Hospital .I have been trying to renew my contact and would greatly appreciate if you could look through the files and contact me , I would like to give them a new address so that Sara can contact me if she wants to. The adoption took place in Los Angelos while I was living at St.Marys.

5. Stacy Cox

My mother gave birth to a son at St. Anne's on January 14, 1970. Her name at the time was Sandra Gutierrez and she named the baby Jason Scott Swendler. She would like to know if there is a birth record and if it is possible to leave contact information for her son. Thank you.

Stacy Cox
    shimmeez@gmail.com

6. Paula Loomis

I believe that my mother was at St. Anne's and gave birth to a baby (girl?) in about 1942-43. I think she was about 14 at the time. I got this from my father, now deceased.
    Is there any way you can confirm or deny this? although I yearn to know this person, I have no wish to disrupt her life by contacting her.
    I would only like to know if the child was placed up for adoption or if it died.
    I feel so anxious inside from not knowing the rest of the story.
    Thasnk You, Paula Loomis, pauleywog428@sbcglobal.net

7. Tyrone D. Bland

Question - I was born at St. Annes Maternity Hospital on September 24, 1970.. Is there anyway I can review St.Annes "in-house records" for women who gave birth at St. Annes on that day?

Please contact me at:
    Tbland@PorterTellus.net

8. Karen Valenzuela

I was told that my mother was at St. Annes back in 1951 or 52 possibly 53. Did the St Annes for unwed mothers use to be on Grammercy St? Did you use to house young teenagers even if they were not pregnant and how could I find out if she was there? She is deceased.

9. James Murphy

My mother might have been living here while pregnant with me. I am adopted and was born 1-15-1970. I was born in Los Angeles, CA and adopted in Santa Barbara Co., CA. My mother may have had the last name Gil and my birth father may have had the last name Parker. I think I was named Christopher. My mother was 17-19 years of age during her pregnancy. She was a waitress and my father was in college. Please email me at carforsythe@hotmail.com if anyone has any info.

10. Jeanne Oliver Hall

I was a "patient" at St.Annes in 1969-70, for 6 months. I was 16 years old and gave birth to a male, 1/31/1970 at 0131 in the morning. Is there any way to find out if he has tried to locate me?